• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do you exercise?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for those who say VANITY (to look good),

do you have nice clothing to complement that nice body up?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) Vanity, 2) Builds success, 3) Health, 4) Listen to cool music, 5) Look at girls

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

Youre asking this question on Styleforum, not BB.com.

stylenooob

Reaction score
1. Psychological health. I get cranky without exercise and it helps me de-stress.
2. Physical health/fitness -- I feel better physically.
3. Socializing. I workout with people I like to hang out with.
4. Vanity.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna keep it funky

- I like to be strong
- I'm vain
- My gf likes it
- Other girls like it (keeps my gf rational)
- The thought of having an avg body composition frightens me

I want to be 50 yrs old w/a 6 pack, 1RMing 3/2.5/2x BW on DLs/squats/bench respectively. I think I can do it.

I got into cycling before but w/my ecto genes it whithered me away. I prefer to be a little more muscular.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

Depends who you ask However I think some of my clothes choices have been a bit of a mismatch for my physique

juliank

Reaction score
In order of importance:

1. Sense of achievement that comes from pushing your physical capacities to the utmost limit. It's hard to explain if you haven't been there but it feels damn good. The only other feeling I get in life that comes close is great sex or high intellectual abstraction when I am reading philosophy or a great novel where everything in my mind just "clicks".

2. Psychological benefits. As someone who tends towards intellectuality I can easily fall into cynicism or mild depression. Being in top physical form squashes any neurotic tendencies and makes my life clearer and leavens the load of existential questions.

3. Vanity. Obviously I am on SF so I care to some degree about clothes. Everything just looks a million times better with a great physique.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vanity, and also coz it...
feelsgoodman.jpg

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To all of you who didn't say "vanity" or "to get more laid" first, I don't believe you. The health benefits are great and everything, but unless your doctor told you that.you have diabetes or high cholesterol, I refuse to believe that is your primary concern.

I would accept "adrenaline addiction", because I've definitely known guys that cared a lot less how they looked than whether or not they could lift some completely unreasonable amount of weight. on the other hand, none of them seemed like the kind out guys who would be posting on a fashion messageboard.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BS. I chose training over parties where I could have gotten laid a bunch of times, more often than the other way around.

I mean, yes, obviously you can reason how any motivation is a form of vanity in the same way that any deed is motivated by self interest... but the proximate motivation isn't necessarily vanity/sex.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bottom line reason is to survive the zombie invasion. I want to be able to outrun, outclimb and outswim the zombie hordes, and in the unlikely event that I can cornered by one, I want to be able to ******* kick his ass.
lol8[1].gif
http://www.zombiefitness.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads