1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why do you exercise?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by lee_44106, Mar 22, 2011.

1. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

Apparently this question has not been asked.

So why do you spent time/money/wake up early in the morning to do all that?

2. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

I'm just gonna be honest. So I look better so I can get with more girls. Also I do enjoy strength training just because its fun. I should probably switch to some hypertrophy program, but I like strength training so much more.

3. mm84321

mm84321 Well-Known Member

Vitality and Virility. I do not use exercise for remaining fit.

Exercise is also very therapeutic for me.

4. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Well-Known Member

Because at 44 years old, I'd rather take a bullet in the head than to turn into the overweight, out of shape fucking turds that 99.9999% of guys my age have become....

5. Sunnydale

Sunnydale Well-Known Member

I lift basically because I can now. At one time I was to worn down from a GI issue to have that kind of energy.

6. mm84321

Because at 44 years old, I'd rather take a bullet in the head than to turn into the overweight, out of shape fucking turds that 99.9999% of guys my age have become....
    For what it's worth, not exercising isn't what's causing that. There have been absolutely zero studies that link exercise to effective weight loss or maintenance. However, if it helps you remain fit, either directly or indirectly, then by all means continue.

7. Kajak

Kajak Well-Known Member

Exercise is still linked to not being out of shape you clown.
    Because a) I'm sometimes still a competitive athlete
    b) I enjoy it
    c) I love being strong/faster than I was before
    *way down there*
    d) I like looking good.

8. mm84321

Exercise is still linked to not being out of shape.
    I didn't say that it wasn't linked to being in or out of shape. I said that it has not been proven to be an effective way of losing weight or maintaining weight loss. Obviously, fit people exercise more than the fat, however that does not imply causation. Is exercise what's keeping them lean? Or, perhaps, is it their leanness that's keeping them exercising?

9. Timbaland

Timbaland Well-Known Member

I train MMA (not lift weights) so mine is to relieve stress from work. There's nothing better to relieve stress than getting to punch someone else in the face.

10. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

1) vanity
    2) fitness
    3) fun/hobby

11. dimshum

dimshum Well-Known Member

In order of importance:

1. Sense of achievement
    2. Health (stress relief, increased lbm)
    3. Vanity

12. Kajak

Kajak Well-Known Member

I didn't say that it wasn't linked to being in or out of shape. I said that it has not been proven to be an effective way of losing weight or maintaining weight loss. Obviously, fit people exercise more than the fat, however that does not imply causation. Is exercise what's keeping them lean? Or, perhaps, is it their leanness that's keeping them exercising?

I know you like to cite some study re: carbs and insulin make us fat which makes us not exercise, which is a wonderful cop out of personal responsibility.

13. LesterSnodgrass

LesterSnodgrass Well-Known Member

In order of importance:

1. Sense of achievement
    2. Health (stress relief, increased lbm)
    3. Vanity

Exactly this.

14. mm84321

I know you like to cite some study re: carbs and insulin make us fat which makes us not exercise, which is a wonderful cop out of personal responsibility.
    I'm sorry, personal responsibility has nothing to do with why some people aren't exercising. I will concede that personal responsibility is somewhat to blame for what is causing the individual to not exercise, vis-Ã -vis poor dietary habits, but a great deal of that is simply a product of poor education and misinformation.

15. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

1) I feel better
    2) For greater energy and stamina
    3) To look fit
    4) A positive activity
    5) Like being out side, ridding my Mountain bike on trails, or inside at my gym and it's great facilities.
    6) I had some relatives who didn't stay fit and they paid a price for it with their quality of life in later years.

16. Kajak

Kajak Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, personal responsibility has nothing to do with why some people aren't exercising. I will concede that personal responsibility is somewhat to blame for what is causing the individual to not exercise, vis-Ã -vis poor dietary habits, but a great deal of that is simply a product of poor education and misinformation.

But if you notice: hey I'm getting fatter and an extra 10 miles/wk (because most people link LISS to fat loss) changes nothing so you know you have to clean up your diet, and following USDA crap doesn't work, I'd say manning up and figuring out what works for you is a part of being responsible.

17. mm84321

But if you notice: hey I'm getting fatter and an extra 10 miles/wk (because most people link LISS to fat loss) changes nothing so you know you have to clean up your diet, and following USDA crap doesn't work, I'd say manning up and figuring out what works for you is a part of being responsible.
    I agree 100% with this. When people can clearly see themselves getting out of shape, and they do nothing about it, that is being negligent. The problem is when people are led to believe that they can improve their health through exercise, and exercise alone, without making serious diet/lifestyle changes. The point I'm trying to make is that their indolence is merely a product of what has caused them to become fat and inactive in the first place, and not an underlying character flaw.

18. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

1) vanity
    2) fitness
    3) fun/hobby

Pretty much this.

I'd also add: for that "fuck yeah" feeling immediately after lifting X more weight/reps than last time.

That's kind of my #1 reason right now. The rest: solid looks, overall health is a great by product.

19. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

Oh, and can we please STFU with this long inane posts that ultimately derail the thread?!?!? [​IMG]

mm, I'm looking at you.

20. mm84321

Oh, and can we please STFU with this long inane posts that ultimately derail the thread?!?!? [​IMG]

mm, I'm looking at you.

I know that I'm a consistent cause of annoyance to you, embowafa, for which I apologize. I just try my best to make my point, and defend my argument, so I don't look like I'm just making things up.