• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What happened to Burberry?

majorhancock

Reaction score
Several years ago, I bought a very simple and beautiful Burberry white poplin dress shirt for US$250.

Burberry_Treyforth_shirt.JPG

Poplin is my preferred shirting material for the warm year-round weather here in Los Angeles, and this shirt was a favorite among my several white poplins and was worn in constant rotation. Consider me strange, but I develop strong attachments to my shirts.

After repeated wearing and washing, the shirt developed the inevitable frays in the collar and small tears around the cuff. Although I still wear it around the house for its comfort, it is no longer appropriate to be worn on any occasion that calls for a business or dress shirt.

Imagine my surprise when I visited the current Burberry site a few weeks ago to replace this classically styled shirt and saw the ABSOLUTE JUNK they are purveying now . . . and at eye-watering prices that would make King Croesus wince, had he ever deigned to appear in such tawdry, juvenile garb.

Burberry_Oversized_check_Silk_Shirt.png

Thomas Burberry invented gabardine fabric in 1879. Its light but tightly-woven, waterproof structure was meant to protect wearers from the inclement weather of the British Isles without the weight of the rubberized Mackintosh overcoat, invented a half-century earlier, in 1824. Gabardine was a hit, and Mr. Burberry patented the fabric in 1888.

Burberry went on to outfit the heroic explorer Ernest Shackleton on three of his voyages of discovery, including the disastrous but ultimately victorious expedition to the South Pole in 1914-1917, with not a single man of the crew of 27 lost.

Shackleton_and_today.JPG

Shackleton’s ship was appropriately named Endurance, something that current Burberry executives evidently know nothing whatsoever about. Today, Burberry has been overrun by fashionistas of the most feckless flavor, both in the C-suite and on the runway, subhuman creatures who were outdone in both breeding and character by Sir Ernest’s noble sled dogs.

There have been numerous recent stories in print and online about he fall of this once-great outfitter, including this recent one:
https://www.businessinsider.com/how...ns-biggest-fail-stock-drop-ceo-ousting-2024-8

The story linked above (worth reading) very correctly attributes Burberry’s decline to “a combination of too-high prices and too-high fashion.” The current offerings, for example, include a US$910 Cotton Formal Shirt (evidently the nearest thing today to my much-prized poplin but at nearly four times the cost) and a US$1290 Oversized Check Silk Shirt. Who in their right mind would pay these utterly obscene prices? Nobody, evidently, which is why Burberry is foundering — not “floundering,” as in flip-flopping like a flounder, but “foundering,” as in sinking under the waves.

Burberry_cotton_Formal_Shirt.png

The brand that once exemplified solid English quality is in danger of becoming a global laughing stock. A noxious surfeit of British, French and Italian fashion brands already produce flamboyant, tasteless “aspirational” (i.e., overpriced) Paris Fashion Week dross at prices no working human could possibly afford. Burberry, please come back to your good English-rooted senses!

I plan to hold a small, private memorial service for my defunct white Burberry poplin shirt and then bury it in a stoneware urn in my garden alongside the similar urn containing the ashes of my dear departed feline companion, Boo. You are invited to mourn with me.

boo_SM.JPG

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Several years ago, I bought a very simple and beautiful Burberry white poplin dress shirt for US$250.

View attachment 2231981

Poplin is my preferred shirting material for the warm year-round weather here in Los Angeles, and this shirt was a favorite among my several white poplins and was worn in constant rotation. Consider me strange, but I develop strong attachments to my shirts.

After repeated wearing and washing, the shirt developed the inevitable frays in the collar and small tears around the cuff. Although I still wear it around the house for its comfort, it is no longer appropriate to be worn on any occasion that calls for a business or dress shirt.

Imagine my surprise when I visited the current Burberry site a few weeks ago to replace this classically styled shirt and saw the ABSOLUTE JUNK they are purveying now . . . and at eye-watering prices that would make King Croesus wince, had he ever deigned to appear in such tawdry, juvenile garb.

View attachment 2231983

Thomas Burberry invented gabardine fabric in 1879. Its light but tightly-woven, waterproof structure was meant to protect wearers from the inclement weather of the British Isles without the weight of the rubberized Mackintosh overcoat, invented a half-century earlier, in 1824. Gabardine was a hit, and Mr. Burberry patented the fabric in 1888.

Burberry went on to outfit the heroic explorer Ernest Shackleton on three of his voyages of discovery, including the disastrous but ultimately victorious expedition to the South Pole in 1914-1917, with not a single man of the crew of 27 lost.

View attachment 2231985

Shackleton’s ship was appropriately named Endurance, something that current Burberry executives evidently know nothing whatsoever about. Today, Burberry has been overrun by fashionistas of the most feckless flavor, both in the C-suite and on the runway, subhuman creatures who were outdone in both breeding and character by Sir Ernest’s noble sled dogs.

There have been numerous recent stories in print and online about he fall of this once-great outfitter, including this recent one:
https://www.businessinsider.com/how...ns-biggest-fail-stock-drop-ceo-ousting-2024-8

The story linked above (worth reading) very correctly attributes Burberry’s decline to “a combination of too-high prices and too-high fashion.” The current offerings, for example, include a US$910 Cotton Formal Shirt (evidently the nearest thing today to my much-prized poplin but at nearly four times the cost) and a US$1290 Oversized Check Silk Shirt. Who in their right mind would pay these utterly obscene prices? Nobody, evidently, which is why Burberry is foundering — not “floundering,” as in flip-flopping like a flounder, but “foundering,” as in sinking under the waves.

View attachment 2231987

The brand that once exemplified solid English quality is in danger of becoming a global laughing stock. A noxious surfeit of British, French and Italian fashion brands already produce flamboyant, tasteless “aspirational” (i.e., overpriced) Paris Fashion Week dross at prices no working human could possibly afford. Burberry, please come back to your good English-rooted senses!

I plan to hold a small, private memorial service for my defunct white Burberry poplin shirt and then bury it in a stoneware urn in my garden alongside the similar urn containing the ashes of my dear departed feline companion, Boo. You are invited to mourn with me.

View attachment 2231989

If you like poplin, you have a huge choice in the shirting offering from the most reputable fabric makers. No reason to go to Burberry, which seems to be a pale version (better, a more loud and gaudy version) of what it was.

BfordSingh

Reaction score
You're not familiar with Tisci's work, apparently. If you think this is bad, look at what he was doing at Givenchy last decade and the prices they commanded.

Ypuh

Reaction score
Are there any 'major (English) brands' that didn't double their prices over night in the last couple of years?

Seems to me that brands see it as a positive thing to sell half the products at twice the margin, without changing the product itself. If any, they add numerous logo's to the outside to express you are wearing said brand, rather than update the quality of the garment itself.

I don't understand this trend, but then admittedly, I never really understood marketing. It's probably me who's the dumb guy.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any 'major (English) brands' that didn't double their prices over night in the last couple of years?

Seems to me that brands see it as a positive thing to sell half the products at twice the margin, without changing the product itself. If any, they add numerous logo's to the outside to express you are wearing said brand, rather than update the quality of the garment itself.

I don't understand this trend, but then admittedly, I never really understood marketing. It's probably me who's the dumb guy.

Actually, it's not that they don't update (improve) the quality of their products, they try to decrease it in order to make larger margins. The production is moved to countries where the labour is less paid and the quality of materials is diminished by using inferior and synthetic fibres.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My local Burberry ( Palo Alto CA) is basically a purveyor of tasteless
overpriced junk to clueless rich Asian tourists. That was my impression
when I recently went to the shop to find a current equivalent to my
treasured possibly 10 year old Burberry corduroys.

Last edited:

jko

Reaction score
Can you name a few English brands that did?

Seems to me that brands see it as a positive thing to sell half the products at twice the margin, without changing the product itself.
Would you like to do half the work but get paid the same?

Ypuh

Reaction score
Can you name a few English brands that did?

Would you like to do half the work but get paid the same?
Sure, but could you tell me beforehand what discussion you'd be dragging me into so I can evaluate if it's worth the effort?

It'll be easy to just boil it down to inflation, but you don't have to be a genius to understand the luxury brands have been thriving recently and changing their business models to attract a wider audience with their (perceived) exclusivity, i.e. Veblen effect. Burberry has been proven one of the worst; so have Prada, Church's, anything LVMH, Richmond or Gucci-related, Rolex, Filson, Arc'teryx etc.

Brands like Barker, Tricker's etc. have also (not-so) steadily been raising prices, but with the amount of hours/energy, Brexit, and Made in UK, to an extent, those prices can be explained.

Last edited:

jko

Reaction score
Sure, but could you tell me beforehand what discussion you'd be dragging me into so I can evaluate if it's worth the effort?
Was just curious because I can only think of Burberry and maybe Church's.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whatsmysize