• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bulgakov: Master and Margarita
I finished Fathers and Sons a few days ago but had no time to start with Bulgakov until today. Would you mind elaborating on your displeasure? I've read my fair share of Bulgakov (and other Russians, for that matter) and can say that have not been disappointed a single time.
Dubliners arrived this morning and I can't wait to start reading. I liked Clay quite a bit, but am unfamiliar with anything else.
Ivan Turgenev: Fathers and Sons
His most famous novel is set in 1859, two years before the abolition of serfdom in Russia. The book focuses on the conflict between the humanistic-idealistic coloured father's generation and their rebellious, materialistic and disillusioned offspring. Archetype of the young Nihilists is the medical student Basarov from St. Petersburg, who accompanies his dear Arkadij Kirsanov on his return journey to his father's home. Fierce verbal disputes with Arkadij's uncle Pawel will follow and even culminate in a dues; his unfortunate love for a widow may cause a dramatic aftermath.
In 1862, Turgenjev introduced the term Nihilism to a broad public with this masterpiece. Explicit recommendation!

The alternating story format for one -- I found the Pilate thread way more interesting than the Moscow one (if that is the right thing to call it). I am way too literal-minded to tolerate the post-modernist pyrotechnics and all around general weirdness of Satan in disguise and talking cats. YMMV.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at sales on the NY Times Bestseller list it looks like every woman in the USA has a copy.

I bet if you go to any public swimming pool or beach you will see copies everywhere this summer.

Everyone on my Facebook who reads, is reading this...What the hell kinda crap is this?

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Looking at sales on the NY Times Bestseller list it looks like every woman in the USA has a copy.

I bet if you go to any public swimming pool or beach you will see copies everywhere this summer.

Everyone on my Facebook who reads, is reading this...What the hell kinda crap is this?

I saw it on BART the other day - I had a hunch what she was reading before I even saw the title. She had that lonely, desperate to submit sexually to an unrealistically successful man look about her.

Last edited:

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up The Art of Fielding at the airport book shop. Didn't think I'd like it all that much but had always meant to check it out since I know the author (not very well). Turns out it's a lot of fun. Got through about two hundred pages on the flight.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Picked up The Art of Fielding at the airport book shop. Didn't think I'd like it all that much but had always meant to check it out since I know the author (not very well). Turns out it's a lot of fun. Got through about two hundred pages on the flight.

Sounds good. I love baseball novels - which is probably a little strange since I'm not much of a baseball sports fan.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds good. I love baseball novels - which is probably a little strange since I'm not much of a baseball sports fan.

The last one of these that I read (if it counts) was Coover's The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop. :)

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gettin' back to my liberal arts college roots.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Junior Officer's Reading Club.

Even in peacetime, this was terrifying. Terrifying when guardsmen came to me with their money troubles, not understanding why, when their banks were telling them they were overdrawn, they wouldn't accept a cheque for the money owed.Terrifying when guardsmen fell in first thing in the morning in paper suits because their clothes had been sent to forensics, still a bit too drunk to remember what they had or hadn't done the night before but touchingly confidently putting their arrest reports and the conduct of their defence in your clueless hands. Terrifying when guardsmen came to see me because they shared a girlfriend who was pregnant and couldn't work out whose it was and didn't really care and didn't want to pay for paternity tests so could I witness a coin toss. Terrifying most of all when a wincing Monday-morning guardsman would ask to report sick and drop his trousers to dispense with explanations; as we were always saying, in the Army a picture paints a thousand words.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amis's Lional Asbo - State of England was fairly good but not up to London Fields. Lionel Asbo cannot compare to Keith Talent

Started The Power Of Habit. Charles Duhigg. Rather interesting.

Started Me Talk Pretty One Day- David Sedaris's short essays. Very funny writer.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Amis's Lional Asbo - State of England was fairly good but not up to London Fields. Lionel Asbo cannot compare to Keith Talent
Started The Power Of Habit. Charles Duhigg. Rather interesting.
Started Me Talk Pretty One Day- David Sedaris's short essays. Very funny writer.

Power of Habit was very easy and fairly instructive a read.
Me Talk Pretty One Day - quite a few essays on his life in France, some hilarious.

Have started Italian Hours, Henry James and got Geoff Dyers' Jeff In Venice , Death In Varanasi lined up for flight at weekend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads