• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm usually not a reader of contemporary novels, but I guess I'm on a summer kick. Finished A Gesture Life (1999?), which I picked up for a dollar at a used book store. Not great, but not bad.

Neos

Reaction score
Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellows
enormous changes at the last minute by Grace Paley

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Picked up The Art of Fielding at the airport book shop. Didn't think I'd like it all that much but had always meant to check it out since I know the author (not very well). Turns out it's a lot of fun. Got through about two hundred pages on the flight.

I started reading it at B&N recently and really dug it. Not sure why I didn't buy it though. Started Master & Margarita just couldn't get into it.

Went to the Strand in NYC on Weds. Wow. I was looking for several books that had been out of print for a while and with almost all of them, multiple copies in paper and hardback.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I started reading it at B&N recently and really dug it. Not sure why I didn't buy it though. Started Master & Margarita just couldn't get into it.
Went to the Strand in NYC on Weds. Wow. I was looking for several books that had been out of print for a while and with almost all of them, multiple copies in paper and hardback.
Nor me.

Going to read Jupiter's Travels again I think, love that book.

green bastard

Reaction score
I like Master and Margarita quite a bit, but am not finished yet. Have a lot of stuff to do the next 4-5 weeks and will not be able to read as much as I'd like to. Have you guys read Faust perchance? I have not lurked the book-threads here so I do not really know how Goethe and the likes are perceived here.

„Nun gut, wer bist du denn? - Ein Teil von jener Kraft, die stets das Böse will und stets das Gute schafft.“

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been reading a book of essays 'arguably' by, I believe, christipher hitchens, and I am really enjoying it. I don't read enough essays.

green bastard

Reaction score

I've been reading a book of essays 'arguably' by, I believe, christipher hitchens, and I am really enjoying it. I don't read enough essays.

I read God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything 5 or 6 years ago and was not speechless with admiration, to say the least. Unfortunately, I can't remember most of it, but that is saying something as well. Have you read it? Seemed to be a big deal in the US at that time.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I read God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything 5 or 6 years ago and was not speechless with admiration, to say the least. Unfortunately, I can't remember most of it, but that is saying something as well. Have you read it? Seemed to be a big deal in the US at that time.

didn't read it, what I am enjoying is the essay structure, it is great for stoping and starting

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love essays.

Read "Dear American Airlines" and "The Outlaw Sea" the other day, started "Native" by David Plante last night, will finish it tomorrow is the plan.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mariooo

Reaction score
I've read Agatha Christies "Murder On The Links" and Alan Moores "V For Vendetta" last weekend

Neos

Reaction score
Finished Jane Eyre and Tell it to the Mountain, reading Norwegian Wood

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. Beside the bed and I dip into it a few times a week. He could certainly put together a decent turn of phrase.

I read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Shone a spotlight on the absurd claims of the monotheisms. Done with humour too.

Finished Jane Eyre and Tell it to the Mountain, reading Norwegian Wood 

Just finished Jeff in Venice, Death in Varanasi, Geoff Dyer. A modern variation on Death in Venice.

Just started The Pale King , David Foster Wallace.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I "Native" by David Plante

From what I understand not his best work but holy hell was it fantastic.

I'm now reading The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton. I've read a couple of his works and his stuff utterly exhilarating. He is, IMO, the greatest essayist of the last 10 years. Hitch was too often just a blowhard who wanted to hear himself speak and try to impress everyone with his wit. De Botton instead creates an intimate universe with the reader and take him along with him on his journey and offers an insight into thinking and world. That's what a great essayist should do.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wrapping up smileys people and purchased

1453: The Holy War For Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West

Considering

A History of Venice (700+ pages!)

or

City of Fortune: How Venice Ruled the Seas

and

Adventures on the Wine Route: A Wine Buyer's Tour of France

as my next books. After giving up on The Thirty Years War, I'm really nervous about taking on another massive book so I'm leaning toward City of Fortune. Adventures on the Wine Route is supposed to be very good.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics