• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alright my third point. 99% of good cocktail bars measure everything. I know Employees Only free pours everything. I don't even think they use speed pours on their bottles. So they visually measure and don't even use a count.

There is no doubt in my mind that a human can acquire an accuracy that is just as good as a jigger and pony. They have a really long apprentice program their so they can definitely train you on it. I asked them why they do it. They told me speed. I'm calling BS on speed.

There is no way you can accurately measure faster than a J/P. I can see taking speed pours out you could be faster.

So why do they do it? I think it's a gimmick.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, we don't discuss enough in this thread. I think the sangria discussion had legs. We usually only talk about spirit selection. Occasionally, ratios.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another thought.

I really hate pinpointing flavors in any drink. I like to think about balance, texture, depth. This is for any beverage. However, perhaps that skill is more important for creating drinks. There has to be a better way of understanding how different components will interact than just experience.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
A little chemistry helps understand how things will interact, re: the michelada discussion where I explained why beer and lime juice work together.

But really I do think experience is an important part.

Apropos of nothing I don't think I'm going to have a drink today.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No it doesn't.

I just Ralped a few sazeracs.

Last edited:

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Negroni

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trumer is great, wish we could get it over here.

Though Pilsner Urquell isn't bad either. Certainly better than Stella...

Certainly all a matter of personal taste, but I always find Urquell to have a strongly metallic bite to it. Stella is just plain boring but it gets my money in crappy bars/clubs when the only other light beer choices are amstel or an american lager. But hell, I still actually like bud light if it's a river/ball game day. Nostalgia I suppose.

I'm getting more and more into the Belgian side of things these days. I was typically going full-bore on hop-forward ales for a number of years but burned out.

This is a fantastic beer:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/637/1717

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished off last night's bottle of Casillero del Diablo Carmenere tonight. For a $12 wine, this stuff is seriously awesome. This was the 2011, which I think is a little better than the 2012 I've had was, but still. Pick up a bottle.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was on vacation on the Eastern Shore of Maryland this week. Ordered a Negroni at a bar (had to ask the bartender if they had Campari before I ordered). She had to ask for the recipe, and later informed me that in 11 years only two people have ordered one.

Hurray?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads