• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@EFV I think the messy hair + stare makes the fit and adds a certain F U to a look that otherwise could be a little #menswear.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a blasphemous statement where I come from
smile.gif

501's are the original workwear, cowboy, motorcycle rider, college student, radical hippie, lawn mowing suburban dad, millionaire, migrant farm worker and dude ranch wear. Sure, Levi's had a few rather peculiar " mom cuts" and finishes in the 70's and early 80's (as did every denim brand) but the classic 501XX has pretty much retained it's original DNA of cool, masculine and practical style. If that wasn't the case, why would almost every cult Japanese denim brand make a version of the classic Levis?

Historically yes, they are probably the most iconic blue jeans but I always feel like I'm missing something with Levis. I'm not a huge denimhead but I've owned a few pair and found the quality to be terrible. Thin, paper-y feeling material and washes that faded from dark indigo to mom jean blue within 2-3 washes (cold water and Woolite dark, if it matters).

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought these in 99, worn them pretty roughly over the years, but absolutely, more recent Levi's don't have the same quality.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that the regular line of Levis has diminished and I haven't bought a pair in years. And yes, the regular line does washout and fade rather quickly. However, check out their Made & Crafted line of premium denim with contemporary styles as well as the LVC (Levis Vintage Collection) which are pretty accurate reproductions of specific models of vintage Levis. I especially like the 1947 501XX for it's trim straight leg fit and slightly higher rise. Another favorite is the 1954 ZXX with a zipper, and slight tapered leg. But, sizing is tough and varies even with the same model from year to year. I'm fortunate because there is always a good stock of LVC in San Francisco for me to try. I get the rinsed ones and never the raw denim to better dial in fit.

I love many of the Japanese denimhead brands but few of them make a true 35 waist or have an inseam that will remain at 34+" after washing.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gus,
You should give the raw denim LVCs a try, just for the sake of experiment and see how it goes. I enjoy breaking them in and then soak them while having them on. Not so much to get fades but to get a better fit. I own 1933, 1944, 1947, 1955 and 1966. They are all different fits but I do enjoy them for different reasons, one drawback is that I practically can't wear them in the summer time
1f605.png

As for quality, LVC denim is quite good and when you put their regular line next to LVC, it is day and night.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gus,
You should give the raw denim LVCs a try, just for the sake of experiment and see how it goes. I enjoy breaking them in and then soak them while having them on. Not so much to get fades but to get a better fit. I own 1933, 1944, 1947, 1955 and 1966. They are all different fits but I do enjoy them for different reasons, one drawback is that I practically can't wear them in the summer time
1f605.png

As for quality, LVC denim is quite good and when you put their regular line next to LVC, it is day and night.

The thing is that I actually like to wash my jeans after every few wearings. So, the raw LVC stuff never comes longer than 36" inseam which eventually shrinks down to 33" or so which is too short for me. (Even in cold wash and hang dry) I've talked to everyone at Levis about brining back the 38" and 40" inseam on raw LVC but even the head of European sales who is 6' 4" and needs the longer inseam can't make it happen. So, I stick to the rinse for practical inseam length reasons as well as not having to play the shrink-to-fit guessing game.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's Friday, snowing lightly in New York, and I have decided to be casual today. Torn between which jacket to wear, I've photo-ed both - you be the judge.

Sweater, shirt, cords, and cap - BB
Leather jacket - Marc New York
Puffer jacket - Soia & Kyo
Scarf - Johnston's of Elgin
Boots - Paul Stuart

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought she left you for the fireman?

Sheepy is never alone for long . . .

"His sheepdip brings the ewes to the yard,
And they're like, it's better than yours,
Damn right, it's better than yours,
He could teach you,
But he'd have to charge".

papa kot

Reaction score

I agree that the regular line of Levis has diminished and I haven't bought a pair in years. And yes, the regular line does washout and fade rather quickly. However, check out their Made & Crafted line of premium denim with contemporary styles as well as the LVC (Levis Vintage Collection) which are pretty accurate reproductions of specific models of vintage Levis. I especially like the 1947 501XX for it's trim straight leg fit and slightly higher rise. Another favorite is the 1954 ZXX with a zipper, and slight tapered leg. But, sizing is tough and varies even with the same model from year to year. I'm fortunate because there is always a good stock of LVC in San Francisco for me to try. I get the rinsed ones and never the raw denim to better dial in fit.

I love many of the Japanese denimhead brands but few of them make a true 35 waist or have an inseam that will remain at 34+" after washing.

+1 for LVC 1947. Best. Jeans. Ever.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
40% off right now on the levis site. if the 36 length weren't sold out, i'd try them. I am one of those guys that likes the idea of "true" denim, but the logistical reality of really tight when first purchased, really stiff and miserable to wear for 10+ wearings doesn't work. I am loving the levis athletic fit 541s, which fade and give whiskers, but are light weight and thus comfortable to wear when just-purchased.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads