• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I don't think it looks all that great to wear a matching vest and jacket without the matching pants. Maybe just go with the jacket.

It looks kind of costumey, like something that would be worn in colonial-America - up to you if you like that vibe.

Thats apparently how they were sold, they used to do vest and jacket without pants.

I don't think it looks costumey, or bad, but not entirely sure its actually good.

I guess what I'm asking is, just because it was done, doesn't mean it was meant to be done, is this the case?

Last edited:

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thats apparently how they were sold, they used to do vest and jacket without pants.

I don't think it looks costumey, or bad, but not entirely sure its actually good.

If I close the bottom 2/3 of the picture with my hand, it actually looks good. Your pants almost always look bad, because your legs are so skinny. Your pants don't fit you too well, billowing at the hips and (in this case) being too short. If you were to wear heavier wool pants that drape better, you would look much nicer. I don't think anything in cotton will look good on you, unless you go for the ultra-slim pants or corduroy. Still, matchstick-legs guys wearing skinny jeans don't really look good, unless you're a hipster. My best suggestion would be to work out your legs a little bit and stick to wool/cord pants or slim jeans for the time being. Did you check out H&M denim offerings yet? I'm sure you could find something there that won't break your bank.

As for the jacket, it looks very old-fashioned with its low gorge and oversized lapels that don't work for your frame anyway. The jacket's fit is boxy and old-man looking. The waistcoat doesn't help. The 3-button suit makes you look even taller and skinnier, which you don't really need. The material is very suit-like and looks odd with jeans. Also, the waistcoat looks odd with jeans. Kind of what CDHagg was hinting on.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I close the bottom 2/3 of the picture with my hand, it actually looks good. Your pants almost always look bad, because your legs are so skinny. Your pants don't fit you too well, billowing at the hips and (in this case) being too short. If you were to wear heavier wool pants that drape better, you would look much nicer. I don't think anything in cotton will look good on you, unless you go for the ultra-slim pants or corduroy. Still, matchstick-legs guys wearing skinny jeans don't really look good, unless you're a hipster. My best suggestion would be to work out your legs a little bit and stick to wool/cord pants or slim jeans for the time being. Did you check out H&M denim offerings yet? I'm sure you could find something there that won't break your bank.
As for the jacket, it looks very old-fashioned with its low gorge and oversized lapels that don't work for your frame anyway. The jacket's fit is boxy and old-man looking. The waistcoat doesn't help. The 3-button suit makes you look even taller and skinnier, which you don't really need. The material is very suit-like and looks odd with jeans. Also, the waistcoat looks odd with jeans. Kind of what CDHagg was hinting on.
Thanks ace, that was a lot more helpful.

Guess I'm done wearing pants then. Or I may go with a brown/olive pair of Donegal tweed trousers.
FWIW I work out. A lot. A lot of squats and other leg exercises. My upper legs are bigger than they look. lower legs aren't as small as they look. Part of that is photography, part of that is that I'm a lot taller than people realize. I'll check out H&M when I have money, but I've never heard good things about the brand, so I'd rather do without until I can afford something better.
I'll probably sell the coat since the consensus seems to be that its no good. I'm on the fence about keeping the waistcoat, but I see it being hard to wear it without looking like a costume piece unless I wear it with jeans.

Here's a closeup of the material. Its a little more tweed than suit. FWIW

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thx, they're LSxSE Conservation boots...LS still may have some.
This is awesome, tell me more about the jeans.
Today in Epaulet, Alden, and Theory
943532c6.jpg

This is great.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
I'll check out H&M when I have money

You definitely don't need money to check out H&M.

And you really should stick to cheap clothes that you can try on while you're still figuring out your sizing before investing in denim that's impossible to return when you realize it doesn't fit.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks ace, that was a lot more helpful.

Guess I'm done wearing pants then. Or I may go with a brown/olive pair of Donegal tweed trousers.
FWIW I work out. A lot. A lot of squats and other leg exercises. My upper legs are bigger than they look. lower legs aren't as small as they look. Part of that is photography, part of that is that I'm a lot taller than people realize. I'll check out H&M when I have money, but I've never heard good things about the brand, so I'd rather do without until I can afford something better.
I'll probably sell the coat since the consensus seems to be that its no good. I'm on the fence about keeping the waistcoat, but I see it being hard to wear it without looking like a costume piece unless I wear it with jeans.

You could start wearing skirts. That's an option. And, FWIW, about a quarter of my pants are from H&M and they all look very nice. I like their slim cut and even if the material and craftsmanship aren't the best, nobody will know the difference if the fit is right. I'd strongly suggest you check out what they have, that store was made for skinny people. Also, Denizen jeans in slim-fit from Target may fit you more or less well. They border on being too tight for me.

Mastai Ferretti
H&M
Crockett & Jones

Last edited:

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could start wearing skirts. That's an option. And, FWIW, about a quarter of my pants are from H&M and they all look very nice. I like their slim cut and even if the material and craftsmanship aren't the best, nobody will know the difference if the fit is right. I'd strongly suggest you check out what they have, that store was made for skinny people. Also, Denizen jeans in slim-fit from Target may fit you more or less well. They border on being too tight for me.

I'll go check it out sunday then.
thanks again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads