• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage violation.
Picked this pair of Florsheim Duckie Brown today. Fine replacement for 93633 I think.
View attachment 2164927
I count these as vintage. They're no longer made. Plus from what I've seen, they're very well constructed. Totally vintage and appropriate.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2164851
View attachment 2164853
View attachment 2164855
View attachment 2164857

Alan McAfee for Aquascutum made in England
Alas, not my size
Who's the maker if these? The font looks awfully familiar

Alan McAfee is the maker.

Aquascutum is a luxury clothing retailer.

Edit to add: What did you do with goatamous #1??

Made by Church's i think, in the 73 last.

The writing looks like Church's to me.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very rainy day so the corrected grain Masons came out to play. I know these are tier 2/3 but the last fits me so well.

20240411_080407.jpg
20240411_080410.jpg

actionjbone

Reaction score
Thanks - the font looked a little too neat for what i'm used to seeing from Church's hahah
I do know that McAfee was bought by them, but before that there was a connection to Crockett & Jones

McAfee was the store front, but I wasn't sure if they made any of their own shoes vs. them being made by another established shoemaker with their branding

goatamous #1 has a forgotten password and is unable to recover it from Styleforum :D
I'm always happy to learn the limits is my knowledge & update my understanding :)

actionjbone

Reaction score
As part of my footwear hobby, I also like to send off my stuff to get rebuilt. I used to strictly use SSIA award winners but have found others who do excellent work as well.

Let us know how it goes! Always happy to add more cobblers to my list for future purposes.
Raul is the real deal! I brought in my 93602's, and we got talking about shoes for like 20 minutes. Once he realized I'm a shoe person, he got pretty chatty.

Turns out he's a 4th-generation shoemaker. When he came to the U.S. years ago, he planned to make shoes - but I don't need to tell YOU folks what was going on in the American shoe industry. So he started working as a cobbler.

He told me he's a competitive person. He clearly enjoys competing for awards (of which he's won several). He also tries to keep his prices competitive, while still charging what he knows his work is worth. He showed me some of his other work, too. Especially for crap like Ecco, it looked better than factory.

I asked him what rubber heels he carried. He said he only carries the best Vibram heel. $60 for new heels and a good cleaning. They'll be ready in only a week.

(We joked about how Bedo's would take several months, and also cost more.)

A full resole with his house leather starts at $130. He said some folks ask for JR, and he can do that for $260 - but he doesn't think JR is worth the price premium. (It looks like Sunny charges less for JR, so I'd probably drive up to him for those.)

We talked about how vintage shoes were made so much better, and made of better leather. I was wearing a pair of AE's, and he commented they're the last good, big American shoe maker. He seems disappointed that J&M has gone to ****.

I'll post photos once I pick up the shoes.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J half strap penny loafers in shell today…
IMG_5880.jpeg
IMG_5879.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Florsheim NSTs today. I used dark brown and a little black cream and polish to achieve a subtle burnish on the toe and seams.
IMG_5884.jpeg
IMG_5885.jpeg

dougc33

Reaction score
Raul is the real deal! I brought in my 93602's, and we got talking about shoes for like 20 minutes. Once he realized I'm a shoe person, he got pretty chatty.

Turns out he's a 4th-generation shoemaker. When he came to the U.S. years ago, he planned to make shoes - but I don't need to tell YOU folks what was going on in the American shoe industry. So he started working as a cobbler.

He told me he's a competitive person. He clearly enjoys competing for awards (of which he's won several). He also tries to keep his prices competitive, while still charging what he knows his work is worth. He showed me some of his other work, too. Especially for crap like Ecco, it looked better than factory.

I asked him what rubber heels he carried. He said he only carries the best Vibram heel. $60 for new heels and a good cleaning. They'll be ready in only a week.

A full resole with his house leather starts at $130. He said some folks ask for JR, and he can do that for $260 - but he doesn't think JR is worth the price premium. (It looks like Sunny charges less for JR, so I'd probably drive up to him for those.)

We talked about how vintage shoes were made so much better, and made of better leather. I was wearing a pair of AE's, and he commented they're the last good, big American shoe maker. He seems disappointed that J&M has gone to ****.

My guy does full soles/heels for $100 - think he's underpriced - does great work.

I asked him for Black Forest soles and that was $10 extra. Have you seen this article on Black Forest sole manufacturer? Fascinating read...

actionjbone

Reaction score
My guy does full soles/heels for $100 - think he's underpriced - does great work.

I asked him for Black Forest soles and that was $10 extra. Have you seen this article on Black Forest sole manufacturer? Fascinating read...
I had not. That's all really good info!

The details about skin quality also kind of make me sad

Happier, better-kept animals make for better meat and skin. To hear they're being rushed to fatten up and kill? That doesn't sound like happy animals.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, double price for JR???

There are other oak tanned soles that would cost less than JR. Whether JR is worth the price premium is in the eye of the beholder.

Sunny also does great work from pics I've seen.

Can't wait to see your shoes fixed up.

actionjbone

Reaction score
Wow, double price for JR???

There are other oak tanned soles that would cost less than JR. Whether JR is worth the price premium is in the eye of the beholder.

Sunny also does great work from pics I've seen.

Can't wait to see your shoes fixed up.
Wyatt & Dad charge $245 for JR soles + heels, so in that light $260 didn't shock me.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
92604s today…
IMG_5886.jpeg
IMG_5887.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wyatt & Dad charge $245 for JR soles + heels, so in that light $260 didn't shock me.
Fair point. I'd just assume the 130 package price can be raised to 200. But I guess it's a different clientele with different expectations.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Sunday forum pals.

IMG_0110.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads