• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

westie187

Reaction score
Fok,

Thanks for your continued efforts with the MTOs. It's very much appreciated!

yozhik

Reaction score
I got my first pair of Vibergs from BCC a few weeks back. They're the guidi olive calf. Is this kind of creasing normal, or is this loose grain leather? I conditioned them with sapir renovateur before wear.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
xposted from GMTO thread:

So I'd been interested in the Viberg service boot for a little while, and now see this one is (re)available for pre-order. Could use some help on sizing, trouble is I can't provide any of the typical references for comparison. 7.5 in most US, 7E in most UK--Ed Green, Lobb and C&J-- lasts, Vass 40.5 in F last. I have a low volume foot, though fairly wide forefoot. Suggestions?

Exdeath

Reaction score
The guidi calf creases quite a lot. I think it's just the character of the leather - it's supposed to look more distressed and patina-y.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
I got my first pair of Vibergs from BCC a few weeks back. They're the guidi olive calf. Is this kind of creasing normal, or is this loose grain leather? I conditioned them with sapir renovateur before wear.

I don't think I've ever seen loose-grain creasing on calf in the same way I've seen it with cowhide. Maybe it could be due to the denser fiber structure of calf, or maybe the bootmakers doing calf put more of an effort into clicking than the relatively lower-end makers doing cowhide that presents the issue.

Anyway, the creasing itself looks fine. Guidi's leather is most often used in a setting where it's distressed (see their own shoe offerings). In this case, there's a lot of it creasing, and it looks like those shoes don't really fit. Do you have a lot of extra volume in the shoe?

yozhik

Reaction score
Anyway, the creasing itself looks fine. Guidi's leather is most often used in a setting where it's distressed (see their own shoe offerings). In this case, there's a lot of it creasing, and it looks like those shoes don't really fit. Do you have a lot of extra volume in the shoe?

There's not much room in the shoe. The last is already fairly slim, and if I wear my standard boot socks, it's quite snug for me. Right now I'm wearing thinner socks, and the fit feels more like a bulky dress shoe than a boot. It's also happening more on the left boot, and my left foot is actually slightly bigger.

The creasing happened to the leather the first time I put on the boot and took the first step. It's not the result of prolonged wear.

Since none of my other leather shoes ever did this, I thought I would ask.

Last edited:

Aviv

Reaction score
There's not much room in the shoe. The last is already fairly slim, and if I wear my standard boot socks, it's quite snug for me. Right now I'm wearing thinner socks, and the fit feels more like a bulky dress shoe than a boot. It's also happening more on the left boot, and my left foot is actually slightly bigger.

The creasing happened to the leather the first time I put on the boot and took the first step. It's not the result of prolonged wear.

Since none of my other leather shoes ever did this, I thought I would ask.

I had this boots for a while a half size too small (alas, despite going through a lot of pain and conflicting advice, I learned the hard way that one needs to know his size and stick to it). Mine had this type of creasing almost out of the box. It's the nature of the guidi leathers I think. I wonder if it has to do with the tanning process or simply the type of grain they source. On actual guidi boots (check out Mr Porter or Far Fetch to see some) you see this type of thing all the time. It's just the nature of the beast/horse/calf.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
I had this boots for a while a half size too small (alas, despite going through a lot of pain and conflicting advice, I learned the hard way that one needs to know his size and stick to it). Mine had this type of creasing almost out of the box. It's the nature of the guidi leathers I think. I wonder if it has to do with the tanning process or simply the type of grain they source. On actual guidi boots (check out Mr Porter or Far Fetch to see some) you see this type of thing all the time. It's just the nature of the beast/horse/calf.
Wondering if the boots would look better once he gets more wear on them and he leather starts to crease on a macro level.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
xposted from GMTO thread:

So I'd been interested in the Viberg service boot for a little while, and now see this one is (re)available for pre-order. Could use some help on sizing, trouble is I can't provide any of the typical references for comparison. 7.5 in most US, 7E in most UK--Ed Green, Lobb and C&J-- lasts, Vass 40.5 in F last. I have a low volume foot, though fairly wide forefoot. Suggestions?

I would probably try a 7D in Viberg, though of course as many of us learn the hard way sizing is tricky and can vary greatly from person to person...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads