• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no salpa in the Viberg unstructured toe boxes. That said, the leather than they typically use, and especially with the cap toe, is quite thick compared to most boots, and ime, hold up as well as the salpa in many other brands. There are exceptions, of course, but the natural CXL is extremely hardy. The toe box that is used by Viberg is extremely hard, and imo, doesn't always suit the style we are going for here.

Speaking of toeboxes holding up or not, I am reminded of wdahab's natural shells, which began to collapsed so quickly around his toes -- an effect he liked and was fine with as I recall. But makes me realize that it's some time since we had any evo updates on that pair... @wdahab , are you still there? Any new pics?

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would probably try a 7D in Viberg, though of course as many of us learn the hard way sizing is tricky and can vary greatly from person to person...

Thanks for this, and understood. Believe me I've made a few stumbles in the sizing dept. along the way, as my closet can currently, and formerly attest (anyone interested in some small guy Buttero Tanino's at a nice price? I have several pairs...ugh).

After perusing Viberg's site, they suggest that the 2030 last is a bit narrower in the toebox, and that those with a wider forefoot (me) should possibly size down only 1/2 size, as you've suggested, rather than a full size as they generally recommend, or try another last altogether. My question then is have most of you sized down a full or half size from your "standard" Brannock/ sneaker fit? Do any of you have a slightly wider forefoot and also own a pair in 2030 last?

For more specific, possibly obfuscating references, I fit a 7E in C&J Chiltern (224 last), 7.5D in RL/C&J McCallum, 7/7.5E in Ed Green 202 Banbury chukka. I do not fit Buttero Tanino--forefoot too narrow, and the rubber wall means no stretch is possible at the edges--Vass U last--also too narrow at forefoot--or Vass P2--too much volume in toebox (my arches are pretty flat). Is there any lateral stretching that occurs with the CXL leathers?

Any additional input would be appreciated. The clock is ticking on the GMTO (midnite 2nite). Thx

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this, and understood. Believe me I've made a few stumbles in the sizing dept. along the way, as my closet can currently, and formerly attest (anyone interested in some small guy Buttero Tanino's at a nice price? I have several pairs...ugh).

After perusing Viberg's site, they suggest that the 2030 last is a bit narrower in the toebox, and that those with a wider forefoot (me) should possibly size down only 1/2 size, as you've suggested, rather than a full size as they generally recommend, or try another last altogether. My question then is have most of you sized down a full or half size from your "standard" Brannock/ sneaker fit? Do any of you have a slightly wider forefoot and also own a pair in 2030 last?

For more specific, possibly obfuscating references, I fit a 7E in C&J Chiltern (224 last), 7.5D in RL/C&J McCallum, 7/7.5E in Ed Green 202 Banbury chukka. I do not fit Buttero Tanino--forefoot too narrow, and the rubber wall means no stretch is possible at the edges--Vass U last--also too narrow at forefoot--or Vass P2--too much volume in toebox (my arches are pretty flat). Is there any lateral stretching that occurs with the CXL leathers?

Any additional input would be appreciated. The clock is ticking on the GMTO (midnite 2nite). Thx

I haven't worn any of those other boots you mention, but have always been 9.5E or 10D in workboots over the years: A Viberg 10 is clearly too big, and a 9 a bit too small. Pretty sure I am a 9.5 in Viberg, but alas by the time I figured that out the boots I wanted (and the MTO program) were gone... I am making do for now with White's and Aldens, but one day, one day...

Skell6009

Reaction score

I haven't worn any of those other boots you mention, but have always been  9.5E or 10D in workboots over the years:  A Viberg 10 is clearly too big, and a 9 a bit too small.  Pretty sure I am a 9.5 in Viberg, but alas by the time I figured that out the boots I wanted (and the MTO program) were gone...  I am making do for now with White's and Aldens, but one day, one day...

What kind of Vibergs do you want?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I havea normal heel, maybe even a slim heel, but I have a wider forefoot. I take a 9.5 in the Trickers 4497 last, and the Viberg 2030 last in the 9.5 fit me the same,. Actually, my latest pair, a pair of the natural cxl derbies, is actually more comfortable in the forefoot, since it is a bit more pliable. I take the same size in all of the Viberg lasts. For the GMTO boots, built using the natural CXL, I would recommend going your usual UK size. For a stiffer leather, you might consider going your UK size +1/2, but I would personally not recommend this for the 2030. But ymmv.

Cheers,

Fok.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of Vibergs do you want?

I like the chunkier wootboot lasts, so 310 (with slightly lowered heel) or 2045, with a thicker black or brown horsehide (not the Guidi), plain cap toe, Cat's Paw heel and half sole, eight eyelets. Maybe contrasting stitching. Would also take a Dainite or other sole, but not a flat leather sole.

One of the boots I briefly owned was a size 10 2045 with scotch grain black shell. It was a bit too long, but with an insole it was slightly tight in the vamp. Not much support in Vibergs, so I figured on going with an insole. So I spent my last MTO on 110 black HHs in size 10, figuring the width would be right. But I was really swimming in those so ended up selling them. It was just as MTO ended, and the 2030 hit as the last of choice, and so 9.5s in 310 or 2045 were more or less non existent and I needed a pair of boots. Ended up going with White's, which I am pretty happy with. But that means even if a Viberg that fits the bill comes around, it will be hard to justify a new pair of black boots. But, we'll see...

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I havea normal heel, maybe even a slim heel, but I have a wider forefoot.  I take a 9.5 in the Trickers 4497 last, and the Viberg 2030 last in the 9.5 fit me the same,.  Actually, my latest pair, a pair of the natural cxl derbies, is actually more comfortable in the forefoot, since it is a bit more pliable.  I take the same size in all of the Viberg lasts.  For the GMTO boots, built using the natural CXL, I would recommend going your usual UK size.  For a stiffer leather, you might consider going your UK size +1/2, but I would personally not recommend this for the 2030.  But ymmv.

Cheers,

Fok.

Thanks Fok. If I'm reading you correctly you're suggesting basically sizing down by half, which would be my default UK sizing as well (some UK lasts, notably Lobb 7000 would be full size down, but whatever). I too have a somewhat slim heel, so sounds like we share a similar foot profile (trying to think of something clever here, but drawing mostly a blank. Sympodico? hmmm...)

While I've got your attention, spot research suggests that the natty CXL will develop a nice mid-brownish patina with time and use (apparently each batch also varies somewhat in darkness, not unusual I suppose with a hand finished product, though perhaps more noticeable in so light a tone). Is this your experience (I think I saw the derbies you were referring to)? In its raw state, it looks a bit too bright in color, so would hope it tones down and mellows over time.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Fok. If I'm reading you correctly you're suggesting basically sizing down by half, which would be my default UK sizing as well (some UK lasts, notably Lobb 7000 would be full size down, but whatever). I too have a somewhat slim heel, so sounds like we share a similar foot profile (trying to think of something clever here, but drawing mostly a blank. Sympodico? hmmm...)

While I've got your attention, spot research suggests that the natty CXL will develop a nice mid-brownish patina with time and use (apparently each batch also varies somewhat in darkness, not unusual I suppose with a hand finished product, though perhaps more noticeable in so light a tone). Is this your experience (I think I saw the derbies you were referring to)? In its raw state, it looks a bit too bright in color, so would hope it tones down and mellows over time.
Hey there,

The natural cxl is a lighter color, but it is far from "bright". It has black low tones. That said, like all light colored pullup leathers, it will darken over time, to either a more brown or a more black-brown color, depending on the particular leather and on the wearer. There are natural variations between each batch, and even each hide, of course. That has less to do with the making of the shoe, and more with the slight inconsistencies during the tanning process.

tylerB

Reaction score
Hey all - just a last minute confirmation that the sizes on the pre-order are US sizes, correct?

I am a 9.5 in my Alden Ultimate Indy's (TruBalance)
I've been going back and forth b/w a 9.5 and a 10 for the Natty CXL Service Boot.
Leaning towards the 9.5 as a I have a slightly shorter/wider foot, and I don't want the Vibergs to be too long...
Hoping I can still wear these with thick socks in the NY winter.

Am I making the right choice here?

jp2k1

Reaction score
Hey all - just a last minute confirmation that the sizes on the pre-order are US sizes, correct?

I am a 9.5 in my Alden Ultimate Indy's (TruBalance)
I've been going back and forth b/w a 9.5 and a 10 for the Natty CXL Service Boot.
Leaning towards the 9.5 as a I have a slightly shorter/wider foot, and I don't want the Vibergs to be too long...
Hoping I can still wear these with thick socks in the NY winter.

Am I making the right choice here?

Id go with the 9.5

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sigh I hope the sizing on that last preorder from a couple nights ago (for the natty cxl boot) are US sizes. otherwise I have a problem

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabika