• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Very shiny suit -- what's it called?

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be a reference to Dormeuil Tonik, their mohair cloth. Tonik 2000 and Super Brio are their mohair/wool blends.

The ideal is sheen, not shine. Classic "tonic suits" can look sublime. They're expensive.

I'm sure Dave Reeves and some others can chime in on Tonik.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polyester suits always have a nice shine. Though, I would avoid polyester suits.

Ivon

Reaction score
My favorite summer suit is a wool/mohair Trofeo and it has a slight shiny look to it, can't really notice it till you are very close. I love that suit, it's a mid grey and unlined. Nobody has ever noticed the mohair sheen. Shiny iridescent lounge suits are another story, I must confess that I've always wanted a stylish sharkskin suit, not that I'm ever going to wear that to the office. Super tacky lounge lizard one for listening to Sinatra, drinking top shelf booze and smoking Cohibas.

laphroaig

Reaction score

My bamboo sport coat has a slight glistening sheen to it...I think it's the nature of the fabric..? :eh:
It looks cool for evening events, but I wouldn't want any shine coming from my suits.

I suspect it's shiny because your sports coat is actually "bamboo" viscose, which is the most common bamboo fabric, not bamboo "linen". Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_textiles

Silk blend suits can be quite shiny, even low percentage silk blends. It depends more on the way the fabric is processed than the material.

Xenon

Reaction score

That would be a reference to Dormeuil Tonik, their mohair cloth. Tonik 2000 and Super Brio are their mohair/wool blends.
The ideal is sheen, not shine. Classic "tonic suits" can look sublime. They're expensive.
I'm sure Dave Reeves and some others can chime in on Tonik.

+1 , I can understand the hate for polyester shine, its indiscriminently shiny in any angle/direction, but don't get the hate for the sheen of silk/mohair or any polished suiting. These can look so awesome as they play with the light.

OP should definitely look at Trofeo 600 (zegna) which is a blend of silk 600 and fine wool (I suspect the wool is roughly S150). You can get suiting and jacketing in this. It has a wonderful hand.

Also look at Summer Amadeus (Dormeuil) and Summer Tasmanian (Loro Piana) which are both silk/wool blends as well. I don't know how the Summer Amadeus holds up but the Summer Tasmanian is quite durable and wrinkle resistent. In particular I had a suit made in this which is a medium gray & silver pin stripe and depending on the angle you can see a slight silvery glow beneeth the gray almost like a sharkskin.

In any regards none of these cloths are in the same universe as tacky. The only comments I get when wearing these are positive

latindandy

Reaction score
Mohair and it's not bad per se. You just need some personality to wear it.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sharkskin is not always shiny. it depends on the way its woven and finished. its the same with silk.
even flannel can shine when it is pressed too hard.

So(cal)Steezy

Reaction score

I suspect it's shiny because your sports coat is actually "bamboo" viscose, which is the most common bamboo fabric, not bamboo "linen". Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_textiles
Silk blend suits can be quite shiny, even low percentage silk blends. It depends more on the way the fabric is processed than the material.

I will have to check now, thanks for the info!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads