• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke DJP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @rusty18,

This is an easy one!

First of all, it is not Loro Piana, but Ermenegildo Zegna; I have enough of relevant labels with respective information.

Secondly, it must have been bought by your cloth source as a leftover, or bolt end, or sample from the factory (or other intermediary).

Thirdly, this composition (wool 95% - cashmere 5%) is found in the EZ "Trofeo - Cashmere" line, a jacketing cloth.

Cheers,

Dimitris

hyho

Reaction score
Going to commission a bespoke suit for wear in very sunny Singapore.
Looking for recommendations for a charcoal grey cloth that looks close to black color but you can still tell clearly it isn't black under good sunlight. New workplace requires more somber colors but I do not want a black suit.
Needs to have a lighter weight and open weave if possible since it is darn hot in Singapore.
My tailor can source from most mills but if you see a listing in the B&S/Ebay that fits this criteria, please let me know too.

Thank you very much!

Fresco/Crispaire is always safe. All my work suits are pretty much made from these fabric as well as Smith Finmeresco. FYI, I don't wear them outside and only wear it at most for 5 mins outdoor.

rusty18

Reaction score
Thank you so much!!! Finally I can put the question to rest. There was a sister fabric available where I purchased—this one I believe:
https://www.tessin.it/trofeo-cashmere-windowpane-grey-burgundy-ermenegildo-zegna.html

Thank you!

Dear @rusty18,

This is an easy one!

First of all, it is not Loro Piana, but Ermenegildo Zegna; I have enough of relevant labels with respective information.

Secondly, it must have been bought by your cloth source as a leftover, or bolt end, or sample from the factory (or other intermediary).

Thirdly, this composition (wool 95% - cashmere 5%) is found in the EZ "Trofeo - Cashmere" line, a jacketing cloth.

Cheers,

Dimitris

Bespoke DJP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @rusty18,

You are very welcome, my pleasure!

Isn't this the very purpose of a forum? To exchange opinions and disseminate information and knowledge?

I am wishing you all the best to your endeavors!

Dimitris

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whatever it is, I am a fan haha. I looked at Minnis Fresco, Crispaire, but liked the finmeresco the most & am pretty happy with the fabric.

Thanks.

Any others tried this bunch — i.e., the high twist group — vs the old standards?

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Any others tried this bunch — i.e., the high twist group — vs the old standards?
I've got a suit in a high-twist navy (don't remember number) from the Finmeresco bunch. It's great. It has the substance of Minnis fresco, but it's smoother. Very open weave and cool-wearing. From memory, Crispaire feels lighter and a little flimsier. I really like the Finmeresco bunch, and would be excited to use any of those cloths again in the future.

Caccioppoli's "Travel Suits" is also really interesting and varied. The suit I have from that bunch is great, and on par with Smith's Finmeresco. William Halstead's "Explorer" bunch is nice, too, and in the same vein.

I've never had anything made up in the VBC 4-ply high-twist, but the cloth I've handled appears to be at the top of its class. It's noticeably finer in every way, but with a subtlety that I don't think I could describe. I have no experience with the Fox or Dugdale high-twist cloths. I'm glad there are so many of these now.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also have a suit from the recent Crispaire collection (it got re-done a few years back) and agree that it is on the flimsy side. Not awful, but a little softer than ideal-- and wears warmer than one might hope. Given the choice of that again, I'd probably go for Lesser 8/9 instead and not worry about the high-twist performance so much.

Stugotes

Reaction score
Dear Gentlemen,

No one knows what's in another person's mind, but we are no children and I have to remind you that "exclusivity" is an old trick which may easily a) justify price increases to "members of a closed group - clients" and vast, inexcusable delays with no repercussions what so ever, and b) make potential clients to struggle - even to pull some strings - to become members.

Although inception is old, congratulations are in order for its present execution.

Best,

Dimitris

The post is a few days old, but I feel like I still need to respond to this.

Corcos is a very small operation with two or three people doing all the work (at least when I worked with him). He also has a young family, so making 100 (or however many) suits a year may be enough work and revenue for him.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C5114E3C-4136-41B2-B299-792F13DC2371.jpeg
Just received this cloth. Roughly 18oz twill with black warp and indigo blue weft. Was looking for more of a true navy to have made up as a heavy winter suit. Think this will work? Or does it read too casual?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The post is a few days old, but I feel like I still need to respond to this.

Corcos is a very small operation with two or three people doing all the work (at least when I worked with him). He also has a young family, so making 100 (or however many) suits a year may be enough work and revenue for him.

How does one get on the waiting list for NYC?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
View attachment 1038810 Just received this cloth. Roughly 18oz twill with black warp and indigo blue weft. Was looking for more of a true navy to have made up as a heavy winter suit. Think this will work? Or does it read too casual?
It is casual, as will be most tan/olive suits. This goes even a bit beyond Solaro and even the cavalry twill that Simon Crompton featured. The weave is heavier and the colors more mottled.

That being said, it isn't so far off what you'd see in an estate tweed suit.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1038810 Just received this cloth. Roughly 18oz twill with black warp and indigo blue weft. Was looking for more of a true navy to have made up as a heavy winter suit. Think this will work? Or does it read too casual?
I'm just curious where you live that its cold enough to actually wear an 18 ounce fabric without dying of heat stroke...

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Winter in much of the UK could work. At Oxford, rooms tend to be 65F through the winter, which makes all sorts of things possible in clothes. Never mind some of the old-- and very modern-- libraries!

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New York. 13oz wool feels like paper most days from about Nov to March. Even with 18oz, I’ll still need a down coat I imagine, but at least my legs should be kept reasonably warm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads