• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trad contest finalists

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
By the way, might we ask AlanC for suggestions on how to adapt his look for younger guys, a sort of more contemporary or youthful trad for the 2000's, as self-contradictory as the term might sound?

For a more youthful Trad: Add hair, subtract daughters.

Man In Space

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larry Lean
"Trad", eh?

... So just what is it then?

We hear about it.
We see certain photos.

Probably it is that Alan C. look...

Why it is probably is more interesting than what it is (well... to me anyway).

I'd love a neat little summing up from Alan C.

You up for it Al.?

Yrs.

Russell Street

Yawn.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man In Space
Yawn.

Very poor!

Alan's come back was much snappier.

The search for a definition of "Trad" continues purely because it would be a neat thing to have in the world, don't you think?

From my understanding of "Trad" (Not 'Ivy League' or 'TNSIL') I'd say Alan's take was very "Trad" indeed & so he is a very worthy winner here.

The great thing with the Net is that it spawns these 'movements' (or whatever they are) but can never quite pin them down. The quest to make sense of it all is fascinating, but only if you happen to be fascinated by learning more about and better underdstanding these things.

"Yawn" as a contribution here is just your typical internet poster's interjection: Nothing to say but says something anyway.

I yawn back at you.

But in a nice way.

RS

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Yeah - No negativity from me.
Alan C. is "Trad".
And "Trad" is what it is.
It begins and ends with the forum that invented it.
A modern take on an old style.

Not Ivy League.
Not TNSIL.

It is what it is: It's "Trad".

A fine "Tradition" stretching back to September 2004...
The Official Preppy Handbook & Ralph Lauren's Ad campaigns all boiled up to make a frothy broth of internet fun.

And what's so bad about that?

Enjoy it for what it is.

... Or you could learn about the reality of the classic American tailoring style and move up a notch to the real "Tradition" in home grown American style -

"The Ivy League Style" is what it's called. Always has been.

Try it, you may like it!

smile.gif

borace

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Larry, we kept waiting for your entry so you could show us how it ought to be done. We're all the poorer for its absence.

Perhaps he will if Kent Wang is good enough to organise an Ivy League style contest.
smile.gif

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Wonder how many of the better "Trads" are really Ivy fans but just don't know the right terminology?

Hard to gauge as long as they all buy into the "Trad" game.

There must be more to the good guys over there than the cartoon of "Trad" that we see so much of...

Surely?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
LL, against my better judgment I'm going to feed the troll. But why don't you elucidate the difference for us. It's a bit hard to take your pronouncements seriously when your primary jollies seem to be coming up with multiple usernames and taunt those who are simply indulging in a little light hearted sartorial dallying. However, since you seem to consider yourself a "better Trad", please lead us from the darkened cave of Trad into the blinding light of your insight.

ted

Reaction score
LL, against my better judgment I'm going to feed the troll. But why don't you elucidate the difference for us. It's a bit hard to take your pronouncements seriously when your primary jollies seem to be coming up with multiple usernames and taunt those who are simply indulging in a little light hearted sartorial dallying. However, since you seem to consider yourself a "better Trad", please lead us from the darkened cave of Trad into the blinding light of your insight.

How many user names does Larry Lean have? Russell Street, Miles Away, Terry Lean, Larry Lean, Keith McSomething....

Man In Space

Reaction score
Yeah - No negativity from me.
Alan C. is "Trad".
And "Trad" is what it is.
It begins and ends with the forum that invented it.
A modern take on an old style.

Not Ivy League.
Not TNSIL.

It is what it is: It's "Trad".

A fine "Tradition" stretching back to September 2004...
The Official Preppy Handbook & Ralph Lauren's Ad campaigns all boiled up to make a frothy broth of internet fun.

And what's so bad about that?

Enjoy it for what it is.

... Or you could learn about the reality of the classic American tailoring style and move up a notch to the real "Tradition" in home grown American style -

"The Ivy League Style" is what it's called. Always has been.

Try it, you may like it!

smile.gif

It just gnaws at your soul, doesn't it?

Larry Lean

Reaction score

I'm certainly not a "better Trad", Al., I'm not a "Trad" at all.

But you certainly are a "Trad" and a good one too.

My point is that "Trad" is only an internet construct that starts in September 2004.
It's aesthetic is only a subset of the classic American Ivy League style.
A foot note at best.

If you are interested in classic American style why call it by the silly new name "Trad"?
Why not learn about the reality of the style and move on from the vulgar posturing of the forum you moderate?

"Trad" makes classic American style look really dumb.
Silly name.
Silly self-invented rules of the cannon of the style.

If you're all about "Tradition" then learn your tradition.
It isn't "Trad".

Yrs.

More names than you can shake a stick at.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man In Space
It just gnaws at your soul, doesn't it?

What can I tell ya, Spacey?

If ya care, ya care.

It's sad to see American style on the Net being represented by all this made-up "Trad" nonsense. The reality of classic American style is bigger & better than that.

IMVHO.

L.L.

ted

Reaction score
What can I tell ya, Spacey?

If ya care, ya care.

It's sad to see American style on the Net being represented by all this made-up "Trad" nonsense. The reality of classic American style is bigger & better than that.

IMVHO.

L.L.

Poor Mr Lean, doesn't realize that 'Ivy' hasn't existed since the 'Ivy League' colleges lost their lofty standing in the late sixties/early seventies. Jazz musicians, yeah right, possers all. Typical old man attitude - Nothing's as good as it used to be. I want to dress like the people on an album cover - LOL Ivy and Preppy are dead. Trad has replaced Ivy, Trad has replaced Preppy.

ABALO

Reaction score

"Trad" makes classic American style look really dumb.
Silly name.
Silly self-invented rules of the cannon of the style.

American Style IS dumb...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads