• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trad contest finalists

ted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ABALO
American Style IS dumb...

crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Maybe I'll pull it out for a pattern matching contest if Kent sponsors one.

This would be better entered into the "Create a Sartorial Optical Illusion" contest.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
(Also posted on that Film Noir Buff Style Forum that I'm so fond of...)

Sorry I missed all this yesterday - I was at J. Simons buying a tie & having an all too quick chat with the great man re: The old Brooks & the old Haspel (I'll post on it later).

I think in a nutshell what we all like is the American Traditional Natural Shoulder Ivy League style (TNSIL) - if we like these clothes at all.
Because we like these clothes we call them by their proper and historically correct name: The Ivy League Style. This is the name that you will find the style called by in pre '04 writings on the subject. It is the name that everybody understands.

"Trad" is an internet lifestyle game. An update on the "Preppy" lifestyle spoof.

If we are serious about this style we should be concentrating on it seriously in my book and not playing "Curriculums" and all those other games which have no basis in reality.

I'd like the impact & influence of the Classic American Ivy style appreciated and discussed properly on the Net. in all it's aspects - even including the Brooks natural shouldered double-breasted style.

"Trad" can be played out elsewhere as a game for lightweights, spoofsters and trolls. Why not? It's all internet fun.

But nobody who is serious about this style has any place buying into it or calling Ivy League by this new made up name "Trad".

"Trad" as a game has been going on for far too long now and there are fools out there who believe that it and it's rules of dress are real. They are not. They are an ill-informed interpretation of Ivy League style only, and a very limited and limiting interpretation at that. A pale and very silly echo.

We should leave it behind and let the nebbishes play their game in their ill-fitting and garish clothes. They simply do not know what they are talking about when it comes to discussing this style and I deeply resent their assumed ownership of what classic American style is all about. It's as if a bunch of morons had latched on to Savile Row style and were playing around calling themselves "Rowers", making up silly rules as they went along.

Time to move on.

IMVHO.

David

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Thanks to all the other finalists and contestants, and thank you to Manton for judging. I'd like to sponsor some other contests in the future. Any suggestions?
SF being SF, I say a best assembled thrift outfit with a price ceiling of 50 bucks head to toe, judged by Dr. J, the thriftmaster himself. Plus, itll be nice to give them some new clothes
smile.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
SF being SF, I say a best assembled thrift outfit with a price ceiling of 50 bucks head to toe, judged by Dr. J, the thriftmaster himself.

Plus, itll be nice to give them some new clothes
smile.gif

If we're talking discount and not necessarily thrift, I've got some killer entries.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
If we're talking discount and not necessarily thrift, I've got some killer entries.
We could have it both - discount and thrift - but still keep the price ceiling low. $100 max, perhaps. Bonus points if the outfit was under $25. However, a problem lies in the fact that it is nearly impossible to substantiate the origin and price of the clothing in question. Of course, this being SF, we can rest assured that total honesty and gentlemanly conduct will prevail from the contest entrants, right? Either way, I am down for this contest.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Archipelagos