• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This interior is amazing

Asterix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
So the Phaeton was only discontinued for the U.S. markets? Interesting. Wonder if that says anything about the immense power of brand in the United States? I am a BMW man, and could never see myself in a VW, ever. I actually doubt I'd even give the brand a chance since I can't think of a situation in which I'd find myself test driving a VW to be won over. That said, BMW earned my loyalty through terrific performance, excellent service, and what I find is pleasant styling. I don't think VW has ever had a car at my point on the demand curve. The Phaeton is nice, but I could never see myself driving it, or its closest competitors. Not me.
Yes it was discontinued in North America (in 2006) partly due to the brand name issue while its virtual twin (The Bentley Continental) sold/sells like hot cakes in North America again due to the brand name and the nouveau rich of the entertainment industry.
smile.gif
In 2004 (it actually was launched for sales in Europe in 2002) when I heard of the Phaeton, like most uninformed, I thought VW (V.A.G) was stupid for diluting its Marques by producing an identical car that would rival its A8 but after extensive research, I realized I was mistaken so in 2006 I ordered mine without even test driving one and I still smile with pleasure when I walk past it as it sits in the garage. I'm a 4 door full sized luxo barge buyer which people sometimes find odd considering I'm in my late 30s now and have been this way forever. I used to own a 740i Sport which I sold in my quest for the stealth luxo barge and ended up with the A8L which started my love affair with the V.A.G line of cars. I have flirted with the idea of getting an M5 a few times to replace the A8L as the sidekick of the Phaeton and still occasionally do but for now I'm aiming for 100% V.A.G which means my next upgrade car purchase would have to be either the W12 A8L or V10 S8.
smile.gif
Below is the number of high end cars that was sold in Germany during the month of February 2009 472 Benz S-Class 390 BMW 7 Series 267 VW Phaeton 149 Audi A8 112 Benz CLS 18 Bentley 2 Rolls Royce 1 Maybach and extremely few Lexus and Jaguars.
smile.gif

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
^test drove a phaeton when i got my touareg. was totally blown away. was seemingly killed by brand whores who as you say preferred to overpay for more expensive buy equal or inferior cars.
It did have a nice interior, but it was also about the same price as the Audi A8 and a lot heavier due to the less-interesting construction techniques/materials. And without the elegance of line.
Originally Posted by Asterix
Below is the number of high end cars that was sold in Germany during the month of February 2009 472 Benz S-Class 390 BMW 7 Series 267 VW Phaeton 149 Audi A8 112 Benz CLS 18 Bentley 2 Rolls Royce 1 Maybach and extremely few Lexus and Jaguars.
smile.gif

That really just speaks to German chauvinism. At that level, they're all leather-and-wood-lined toasters anyway. The Lexus will at least be a more reliable toaster, though the Audi's stereo is cooler and possibly better-sounding. As for the Jaguar...it's a pity they're saddled with those Yank V8s but their new ones are interesting. And supposedly reliable. With a 2.5-3L straight six, gas or Diesel, it would probably be the pick of the class.

Asterix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
It did have a nice interior, but it was also about the same price as the Audi A8 and a lot heavier due to the less-interesting construction techniques/materials. And without the elegance of line.
A 10K-20K price difference between comparably loaded vehicles is far from being the same price and yes the Phaeton is the heaviest car in its class at about 5200lbs. Try having an Audi A8 run into one full head on and see which one would be left standing.
smile.gif
Also on the looks bit, the Audi A8 since 2005 has shifted direction from being the understated Luxo barge to become the official VAG challenger to BMW while the Phaeton now serves as the understated one.
That really just speaks to German chauvinism. At that level, they're all leather-and-wood-lined toasters anyway. The Lexus will at least be a more reliable toaster, though the Audi's stereo is cooler and possibly better-sounding. As for the Jaguar...it's a pity they're saddled with those Yank V8s but their new ones are interesting. And supposedly reliable. With a 2.5-3L straight six, gas or Diesel, it would probably be the pick of the class.
I like your very apt coinage "leather-and-wood-lined toasters" but who needs a generic looking but reliable toaster aka plain Jane mistress when there are smoking hot super sexy German engineered ones?
smile.gif

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There still is a huge difference in the look and feel of a well engineered German car or a Lexus. A lexus is a pretty good luxury car, but the look and feel is definitely cheaper than a BMW or Merc. Especially the type of leather and plastics they use look a lot cheaper than in their German competitors.

Asterix

Reaction score
Are the Phaetons made in Germany?
smile.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, that factory shop floor is cleaner than my living room floor!! I'd love to see a similar thread on BMW's facility.

Google for BMW Welt. The main facility is beautiful, but the adjoining factory doesn't go through it. If you get a chance to visit, you should take the factory tour. It was eye-opening, in a very good way.

--Andre

Asterix

Reaction score

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asterix
The BMW World (Welt) is gorgeous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Welt

Yes it is!

I have a few more career goals to accomplish (mostly involving a lot of long, tedious, studying & working hours, so I need some sort of reward to motivate myself) and then I am ordering a 2010 LCI E92 M-sport coupe to pick up there via European Delivery. Excited is an understatement.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads