• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things your dumb friends post on facebook

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's all kind of self congratulatory douchiness. I don't see what's wrong with it. It's kind of like telling your friends where you've been and what fun you've had this weekend only you do it virtually and share it with friends you won't see in a long time.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

1. I have absurdly little experience in dealing with children, but it struck me as odd that a kid that old had a pacifier.
2. I see parents posting embarrassing pictures of their children all the time on Facebook. I don't understand why they do that.

Yeah, I'm not an expert or anything, but, as an anecdote, I don't know any well-adjusted children of well-adjusted parents who still have pacifiers at that age. It always seems to be the kids of overly-permissive parents who don't give it up until way late.

The picture thing is a tough balance. Facebook is a great way to post some pics of the little ones as they grow, especially for me where most of my closest (in terms of relationship) friends and family are generally hundreds of miles away, but I try very hard not to post pics that are ridiculous or embarrassing. Truth be told, I tend to try to moderate the number of pics I post of my kid on Facebook in general, but I'm particularly careful not to post things that are outrageous.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, well, I wouldn't order a steak that's 30% fat, either.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is to say:

Rich Kids of Instagram style travel posts = dumb.

Teddy and Joe eiffel towering Christine in front of the Eiffel Tower = Facebook.

If the second thing doesn't appeal to you (adjust the pose to fit your age bracket/friend demographic), I wonder what ever interested you in facebook in the first place.

The problem is people go vastly overboard with #2. For example, I have a friend who just went to a resort in Mexico for a week. During the trip it was literally endless updates (I counted 5 in one day and gave up counting after), and then the dump of 200 photos on facebook after. Not even your own mother gives that much of a ****. If you're going to post about your trip, pick a few things and a few pictures, not every thing you took. It goes from being "hey cool, steve is surfing in california!" to "jesus ******* christ steve took pictures of the ground and the water and uploaded them, what a ******* tool."

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

The problem is that they have a whole circle of similar self-congratulatory friends, who have to give them props for their awesomeness in selecting travel destinations.

one douche fb "friend" I know has a doucheblog called "our restless feet"

I actually know her husband, or rather what used to be her husband... they all went to orlando with the husband's family to bring all their nephews and nieces to disneyworld, universal and all that (paid for by the husband's family). the douchebitch and her husband stayed behind and did a tour of several national parks out west, renting a hybrid (of course she had to mention its a hybrid).... then posted in her fb:

really thinks visiting the US without stopping by their breathtaking National Parks is like going to the Philippines and staying in Manila the whole time. for real!

Last edited:

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you're single, you're exactly as happy as you are. When you're married, you can only be as happy as the least happy person in the relationship.

Buh? How does this work? I'm reminded of those game-theory thought experiments where the individuals in a group have to guess half the average of everybody's guesses, and so the average asymptotically approaches zero.

I think she's ready for teh tagutpeen.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Buh? How does this work? I'm reminded of those game-theory thought experiments where the individuals in a group have to guess half the average of everybody's guesses, and so the average asymptotically approaches zero.

I think she's ready for teh tagutpeen.

So find a person who is generally happier than you and you're the limiting factor...

Sounds like a chic talking herself off a bridge and being single got her there.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So find a person who is generally happier than you and you're the limiting factor...

The more disturbing implication is that they will never be that happy again, at least as long as they're with you. The lessened state of happiness you drag them down to becomes the limiting factor for all time. You both can only get progressively less and less happy in a sort of three-legged race to ultimate ruin. Boy, marriage sure sounds like a drag!

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People really ought to learn not to post anything negative about their relationships on Facebook. Nobody wants to read that, and you've just aired your dirty laundry to everybody in a way that's very hard to take back.

I vaguely understand the point, although she's missing a lot. When your partner isn't happy, it does tend to make you less happy as well. But there's a big upside when things are going well, your aggregate happiness ought to be higher. If it isn't...you shouldn't be married. If you think you can never be happier in a relationship than single, why get married?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

People really ought to learn not to post anything negative about their relationships on Facebook. Nobody wants to read that, and you've just aired your dirty laundry to everybody in a way that's very hard to take back.

This is the church girl from earlier. Over the past few weeks she's continually plastered facebook with painfully forthright macro graphics shared from a seemingly endless supply of facebook groups whose very names forthrightly describe the state of her crumbling relationship at that moment.

The need for all this howling over lost love mystifies me, honestly. Just take the tagutpeen and the skies will open up for you.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score

The need for all this howling over lost love mystifies me, honestly. Just take the tagutpeen and the skies will open up for you.

I will give you $100 if you leave this message for her on her page. Except you cant call it the tagutpeen because she probably doesnt know about your screen name here. It does have to be clear you are talking aboutyou and **********. Acceptable replacements = The Robweiner. the Robknob. My furious trouser snake. My cousin Vinny: AKA my funny ethnic penis.

Last edited:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I vaguely understand the point, although she's missing a lot. When your partner isn't happy, it does tend to make you less happy as well. But there's a big upside when things are going well, your aggregate happiness ought to be higher. If it isn't...you shouldn't be married. If you think you can never be happier in a relationship than single, why get married?

saw a post on some guy's fb page- something like "tonight she's out partying with her friends. no one's taking care of our child... poor poor baby..." and he got a few replies, "so why don't you take care of your kid?"

++++

saw this andy rooney on women over 40 post around yesterday, mostly from female relatives and friends over 40...

Andy Rooney says:

As I grow in age, I value women who are over forty most of all. Here are just a few reasons why: A woman over forty will never wake you in the middle of the night to ask, “What are you thinking?” She doesn’t care what you think.

If a woman over forty doesn’t want to watch the game, she doesn’t sit around whining about it. She does something she wants to do. And, it’s usually something more interesting.

A woman over forty knows herself well enough to be assured in who she is, what she is, what she wants and from whom. Few women past the age of forty give a hoot what you might think about her or what she’s doing.

Women over forty are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won’t hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

Older women are generous with praise, often undeserved. They know what it’s like to be unappreciated.

A woman over forty has the self-assurance to introduce you to her women friends. A younger woman with a man will often ignore even her best friend because she doesn’t trust the guy with other women. Women over forty couldn’t care less if you’re attracted to her friends because she knows her friends won’t betray her.

Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to a woman over forty. They always know.

A woman over forty looks good wearing bright red lipstick. This is not true of younger women. Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over forty is far sexier than her younger counterpart.

Older women are forthright and honest. They’ll tell you right off if you are a jerk, if you are acting like one! You don’t ever have to wonder where you stand with her.

Yes, we praise women over forty for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it’s not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed hot woman of forty-plus, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some twenty-two-year-old waitress.

Ladies, I apologize.

For all those men who say, “Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,” here’s an update for you. Now 80 percent of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it’s not worth buying an entire pig, just to get a little sausage.

then these ladies all go giving high fives to each other in comments. so I posted the snopes page saying andy rooney didn't say that ****:

"It just bugs me that anybody would put my name on something I didn't write," said Rooney from his New York office. He's been the object of this kind of hoax before, and another, he said, had just crossed his desk.

I asked him if he shared the author's affection for older women, and he said, "Not particularly."

and I realize just how sad these ladies giving each other a pat on their back passing around this "article"... I mean how pathetic can you be for:
a. thinking andy rooney's a depository of knowledge and intelligent opinion, and
b. posting **** on line getting your panties in a bunch without even bothering to check if its real.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nevermind, meant to post this in Stupid political crap your friends post of facebook.

Last edited:

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

saw a post on some guy's fb page- something like "tonight she's out partying with her friends. no one's taking care of our child... poor poor baby..." and he got a few replies, "so why don't you take care of your kid?"

++++

saw this andy rooney on women over 40 post around yesterday, mostly from female relatives and friends over 40...
then these ladies all go giving high fives to each other in comments. so I posted the snopes page saying andy rooney didn't say that ****:
and I realize just how sad these ladies giving each other a pat on their back passing around this "article"... I mean how pathetic can you be for:
a. thinking andy rooney's a depository of knowledge and intelligent opinion, and
b. posting **** on line getting your panties in a bunch without even bothering to check if its real.

Is it any stupider than posting some supposedly feminist statement and attributing it to Marilyn Monroe?

And not to get sexist, but why don't men ever do **** like that? It always seems to be women doing it. It's mystifying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads