• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

recondite - that sounds like it was generated by a computer :)
Thanks very much for the feedback - detailed feedback even. I will read a few more times and try to take it in. Appreciate the comments on the tucking - I can see for myself that it looks better. However during those times when I must dress casually, I would still like to wear an untucked shirt. I've taken another couple shots with today's fit, however this time with the shirt untucked to get some further feedback. It's not that I think the untucked shirt looks better (I dont), but I am trying to get some idea of what I should be going for when I begin tailoring my more casual shirts which I intend on wearing untucked. Obviously this shirt is still a little long, but overall I think of all my shirts, the Kitsune shirts i've bought recently fit best OTR - however they will still need the length taken up. This is a size 42 which is an L for Kitsune. As you can see, across the chest/shoulders the fit is pretty good. However it is still too long - I am guessing by about an inch. These are perhaps the loosest chino's I own as all my others are slim. I can see form the RHS picture what benesyd has been saying about matching the fit of the pants to the shirt, as I have previously been pairing slim chino's with un-tailored shirts. I can also see where the cuffing is making my legs look shorter. However as the leg opening is large, I am unsure how they will look once hemmed. I wouldn't want to be walking around with bell bottoms lol.
this camera angle is much better for you. same angle + shirt tuck and i think it would look even better.
Sadly, we don't have this in Finland.
:(

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love that this same comment is made by every ******* person who gets criticized in this thread despite it being demonstrably untrue.

Any notable instances of this (no snark, genuinely curious)

I think the closest example I can remember is that 17 year old kid whose first fit was a towel scarf and then got mad love for rocking all RO. Which speaks to dude's point. But doesn't rationalize his fit progression.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Keep it simple - buy the same brands as everyone else, and you're onto a winner.

I love that this same comment is made by every ******* person who gets criticized in this thread despite it being demonstrably untrue.

kind of true. not always. bene buys all the right brands and still gets **** all the time. (no hate, just using you as an example) and though i cant think of any off hand, im sure there are those that get love, and dont have much brand cache.

basically, getting good feedback here its a combination of a few factors.

there is a certain aesthetic that is currently appreciated here. i imagine in SWD that that maybe changes with the times, as this area is more progressive than MC/CM, but within each phase there is a set general aesthetic, that is considered good. certainly within that there is range, from slim to loose, colors, fabrics, different looks.... but there is a general agreed upon appreciated look. it may not be universal outside of SF, but here, it pretty much is.

so, if you want to post here, and hear people say you look good, you are going to have to conform, to a great degree, to what the people whos feedback you are seeking, appreciate. if you dont, obviously, you will always get henpecked, and the more you post fits that repeat themselves, and show very minmal change, and dont address the major things that people here dont like, the more crap you will take.

as to brands, certainly, there are certain brands that make clothing that generally fit into the appreciated aesthetic here. so obviously, when one buys those brands, they will get more love, simply because the garments themselves are designed the way people here like garments to be designed. and like brad said, i dont know why this is rocket science or why people bash this concept. its not about brand whoring, its about buying into a look that is appreciated. its not that brand A > brand B, its that brand A makes more clothing that people here like, than brand B.

on top of that, you have to find, within that array of brands, and the garments they make, ones that compliment your build, and general look. you can have all the brands people like, but if the clothing doesnt fit you right/does not jive with your vibe, you will still not garner much love. one needs to focus on what works for them, within the genrally appreciated aesthetic. and that could be branded items, or not.

if one can accomplish all that, they will find forum love. im not saying forum love is the be all end all of life, or even of style, but if that is what you seek, you have to be sensible about it. willing to learn, willing to think, willing to change, and willing to accept that others may have a better sense of what looks good on on you than you yourself do. if you can accomplish that, you will find yourself defending yourself less and less, and getting more and more appreciation.

Last edited:

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
kind of true. not always. bene buys all the right brands and still gets **** all the time. (no hate, just using you as an example) and though i cant think of any off hand, im sure there are those that get love, and dont have much brand cache.

basically, getting good feedback here its a combination of a few factors.

there is a certain aesthetic that is currently appreciated here. i imagine in SWD that that maybe changes with the times, as this area is more progressive than MC/CM, but within each phase there is a set general aesthetic, that is considered good. certainly within that there is range, from slim to loose, colors, fabrics, different looks.... but there is a general agreed upon appreciated look. it may not be universal outside of SF, but here, it pretty much is.

so, if you want to post here, and hear people say you look good, you are going to have to conform, to a great degree, to what the people whos feedback you are seeking, appreciate. if you dont, obviously, you will always get henpecked, and the more you post fits that repeat themselves, and show very minmal change, and dont address the major things that people here dont like, the more crap you will take.

as to brands, certainly, there are certain brands that make clothing that generally fit into the appreciated aesthetic here. so obviously, when one buys those brands, they will get more love, simply because the garments themselves are designed the way people here like garments to be designed. and like brad said, i dont know why this is rocket science or why people bash this concept. its not about brand whoring, its about buying into a look that is appreciated. its not that brand A > brand B, its that brand A makes more clothing that people here like, than brand B.

on top of that, you have to find, within that array of brands, and the garments they make, ones that compliment your build, and general look. you can have all the brands people like, but if the clothing doesnt fit you right/does not jive with your vibe, you will still not garner much love. one needs to focus on what works for them, within the genrally appreciated aesthetic. and that could be branded items, or not.

if one can accomplish all that, they will find forum love. im not saying forum love is the be all end all of life, or even of style, but if that is what you seek, you have to be sensible about it. willing to learn, willing to think, willing to change, and willing to accept that others may have a better sense of what looks good on on you than you yourself do. if you can accomplish that, you will find yourself defending yourself less and less, and getting more and more appreciation.
disagree...

a list of posters who don't adhere to the "SWD aesthetics" and STILL get love

Barims
GDL
MOK
NYI
Shoreman

and I guess I can add myself

noone is telling him to wear SS and RO... all we are saying is that there is obviously an issue with his fit... MC or SWD. Many people have noted it. He should either take the advice OR somehow overcome the deficiency plaguing his fits. maybe adding some dimension to his style would work.. but at this pt it looks like We are watching elisix reruns.

Last edited:

fireflygrave

Reaction score
please forgive needed haircut and bad facial hair, lazy day today

yyph/uniqlo/issey miyake/yyph/chucks

detail of crinkly shirt texture

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What? Those people pretty much represent what SWD is all about.

Barims is swaggy as ****, breaks all the rules and looks like a boss - individual panache, not even slightly #menswear
GDL is basically at the forefront of being "SF-approved" (in a good way) - junya, schneider, TOJ, high tops, boots, the whole shebang
MOK is our friendly heritage icon
NYR doesn't really get much love, he just wears jeans
Shore is what SWD was 5 years ago, and he's still going strong. He keeps the dream alive.

What, exactly, is the "SWD aesthetic?"

I think the fault actually lies with stitches and elisex, who are assuming that there IS a dominant "look" (they're emo, they only wear black, they all wear the same brands, blah blah blah - untrue). To an extent there is - no, it's not classic menswear, and yes, there are a lot of popular brands that get latched onto for dubious reasons (in the before-time it was W+H, for example, now it's SNS and schneider, or whatever), but generally I think SWD gets its rocks off by incorporating a whole bunch of **** from all over the place - we really ARE hipsters. So, I mean, I think I'm actually agreeing with you, just disagreeing that the posters you name somehow fall "outside" the SWD norm. We take all types.

Last edited:

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Barims is swaggy as ****, breaks all the rules and looks like a boss - individual panache, not even slightly #menswear
GDL is basically at the forefront of being "SF-approved" (in a good way) - junya, schneider, TOJ, high tops, boots, the whole shebang
Shore is what SWD was 5 years ago, and he's still going strong. He keeps the dream alive.

I don't think there is one... just pointing out the perceived notion that there is one and making a point that there are people who don't follow those perceptions.

TWorksheets

Reaction score
You can also argue that there are many posters here that catch flack regardless of brands, ie. Beneysd, KJ, and Moo (at times)

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think the fault actually lies with stitches and elisex, who are assuming that there IS a dominant "look" (they're emo, they only wear black, they all wear the same brands, blah blah blah - untrue). To an extent there is - no, it's not classic menswear, and yes, there are a lot of popular brands that get latched onto for dubious reasons (in the before-time it was W+H, for example, now it's SNS and schneider, or whatever), but generally I think SWD gets its rocks off by incorporating a whole bunch of **** from all over the place - we really ARE hipsters. So, I mean, I think I'm actually agreeing with you, just disagreeing that the posters you name somehow fall "outside" the SWD norm. We take all types.

That's exactly what I was stating. I guess I should have used quotation marks on "SWD aesthetic"

I was basically trying to dispell that myth and highlight the fact that SWD is much more diverse and accepting than MC.

Last edited:

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

disagree...

a list of posters who don't adhere to the SWD aesthetics and STILL get love

Barims
GDL

MOK

NYI
Shoreman

Okay, but these guys sort of had their style already worked out when they started posting here, didn't they? I think there is some truth into the idea of group think. Look at caseyfud. People told him to change his hair, so he did. People told him to get better glasses, so he did. His clothing choices seem to be tailored to the opinions and suggestions of other forum members. And that's not meant to be a knock against him, just that I think there is a certain aesthetic this forum goes for.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

disagree...
a list of posters who don't adhere to the SWD aesthetics and STILL get love
Barims
GDL
MOK
NYI
Shoreman
and I guess I can add myself
noone is telling him to wear SS and RO... all we are saying is that there is obviously an issue with his fit... MC or SWD. Many people have noted it. He should either take the advice OR somehow overcome the deficiency plaguing his fits. maybe adding some dimension to his style would work.. but at this pt it looks like We are watching elisix reruns.

you missed this part of my post

and though i cant think of any off hand, im sure there are those that get love, and dont have much brand cache.

i really should have elaborated on that more. certainly one get look great without the brands, but its hard to deny that that is much harder for most people to accomplish than sticking with brands people like. it requires a really good sense of style, knowing how to find odd pieces that look great, and put it all together.

Barims is one in a million, no question. id put you near there too. you both have your own look. are consistent with it, know what works with it, and have a unique style knack that is not something most people have.

GDL - mostly branded stuff and custom stuff and is all around one of the best dressed guys i have ever seen. hard to use his as en example for mere style regular level dudes. also, you need some coin to dress that way.

MOK - i think he has a decent amount of branded stuff, and is pretty doen with the current SWD look i think.

NYI - really mostly an MC guy, also with a lot of branded stuff plus a good consistent sense of his own style

Shoreman - have not seen/do not remember enough, but he does dress quite well.

i am not telling him to buy branded stuff, i was just stating what i perceived to be for the most part, what is liked around here. and i think starting with some of the liked brands is often a good stepping stone to heading in a direction that will be appreciated here.

its all the looks that get 25+ likes every time they are posted. many are yours.

Last edited:

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay, but these guys sort of had their style already worked out when they started posting here, didn't they? I think there is some truth into the idea of group think. Look at caseyfud. People told him to change his hair, so he did. People told him to get better glasses, so he did. His clothing choices seem to be tailored to the opinions and suggestions of other forum members. And that's not meant to be a knock against him, just that I think there is a certain aesthetic this forum goes for.

they told him get better glasses... they didn't tell him to get RO or some gothninja steeze glasses.

As you can see through his evolution he himself fits outside the perceived notion of the SWD aesthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads