• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's so boring repeatedly hearing from nice, thoughtful and helpful people who think that this thread is about showing your fits, learning from others, providing advice and going on a bit of a personal journey.

It is indeed about showing your fits, learning from others, providing advice and going on a personal journey. The thing is, you don't show fits (as in plural), you just post the same fit over and over again (which is super-boring and doesn't provide any purpose at all).

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is indeed about showing your fits, learning from others, providing advice and going on a personal journey. The thing is, you don't show fits (as in plural), you just post the same fit over and over again (which is super-boring and doesn't provide any purpose at all).

Sorry what? You must be kidding surely.

Pray tell, what should I be doing different?

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what that pic was meant to illustrate, but okay. What I mean is just, ask yourself if what you're about to upload is really worth uploading

buran

Reaction score
I can hardly tell the difference between your fits elisix, you probably would not be able to tell the difference between mine but I don't post mine every day.

Last edited:

Joshua Lee

Reaction score
Just to jump in here as an outsider, Elisix, I think what KOY was getting at with boring fits, is more about the thought gone into perfecting one of your fits before posting it. The picture you just added looks like a box of crayons, sure the colors are pretty individually, but a real amazing fit comes from matching things in a unique and thoughtful way.

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
KOY, but you uploaded that above photo? Surely you heed your own advice?

Joshua, a box of crayons? I personally think layers of grey, on black, on grey are what is boring.

I admit though, I have never seen such well put together layers of grey, on black, on grey before though.

Keep it simple - buy the same brands as everyone else, and you're onto a winner.

Last edited:

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you guys must misunderstand the process of learning.

A significant part of that process is learning from ones mistakes.

Who the hell are you to say not to post anything until you have something worth posting? And is this transformation which you expect, and praise the likes of Casey for, meant to happen overnight? That's just ridiculous. How does the person who is on that learning curve know whether they have achieved something without sharing and receiving feedback?

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wasn't that my very first pic in this thread? I came here to learn and get a sense of style, not everyone has one when they first get here ;)
But you're missing the point, which is that since you upload the same fit every time, there's no visible learning, no journey, and nothing interesting about your posts. Until something in your fits is different, there's no point posting them so very often.

Don't remember who it was, but when I got told the same thing I'm telling you now, someone wrote a long and detailed post about this thread and how it "works". If this "someone" can identify himself with this and can find his old post, feel free to re-quote it :)

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you have totally dominated this thread for the last couple of weeks. you have plenty of feedback. the polite thing to do would be to take some time to reflect on the feedback and let it sink in, rather than coming back with the same type of thing every day. this is not the "teach elisix how to dress" thread.

recondite

Reaction score
I think you guys must misunderstand the process of learning.

A significant part of that process is learning from ones mistakes.

Who the hell are you to say not to post anything until you have something worth posting? And is this transformation which you expect, and praise the likes of Casey for, meant to happen overnight? That's just ridiculous. How does the person who is on that learning curve know whether they have achieved something without sharing and receiving feedback?

Stop posting the same mistakes with different articles of clothing; e.g., shirts that are too long, contrast between shoes and pants too strong, etc.

These mistakes do not enhance your appearance.

You do not understand the concept of "fit".

The picture below, which I stole from earlier post in the thread and edited through cropping, is of a fit or outfit that would be a far better look for you than anything you have posted before, despite what you believe might be a boring color pallet. Feel free to use brighter colors, but keep the same fit and relative contrast as below, and you will have a beautiful and colorful fit that will get kudos and not derision.

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't that my very first pic in this thread? I came here to learn and get a sense of style, not everyone has one when they first get here
wink.gif

But you're missing the point, which is that since you upload the same fit every time, there's no visible learning, no journey, and nothing interesting about your posts. Until something in your fits is different, there's no point posting them so very often.

Don't remember who it was, but when I got told the same thing I'm telling you now, someone wrote a long and detailed post about this thread and how it "works". If this "someone" can identify himself with this and can find his old post, feel free to re-quote it
smile.gif

Unless it's a forum owner, moderator or the like telling me how this thread 'works', i'll be participating in the most logical manner possible. That is, read, partake in discussion, post your fits, try to learn something from those you admire.

I didn't realise that picture was from your first post here KOY - and honestly, personally attacking you is not my intention. I apologise. However how long have I been in this thread? A month? Should I have learned to be a good, obedient WAYWT thread participant by now?

The fact that you claim there has been no journey is wrong IMO. I've asked a whole series of questions and am actively trying to implement some of the things I agree with. I'm not going to be told what to do, nor should you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads