• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rolex wants all their watches to look brand new. It's better marketing. That's why they would replace all your old parts on your beloved vintage watch. Rolex doesn't care about that stuff like some owners do. 99% of the Rolex buying people would love their 1970 Sub to come back from service looking like the day they bought it. Forum going Rolex owners are a different breed.

Maybe it's different in the US, but I've never had a problem with preserving the original dial/insert/hands/date wheel with Rolex service.
dontknow.gif

The local one even advises people to keep their original parts. Which is fortunate because southwestern Norway is likely the world's per-capita champion of original-owner Sea-Dwellers and Submariners from the '70s and '80s.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm genuinely surprised that there would be any appeal to a serious collector; Cartier's idea of a diver's watch looks like a complete mess to me. It's an unmitigated typographical train wreck, and the faux-altimeter-look triple date window — usually confined to badly-drawn pilot's watches, though the infection is spreading — just adds to the theme of ineptitude and confusion.

If they'd done the bezel, subdial, date wheel and depth rating in Roman numerals too, it would have at least made for a pretty sweet parody of the expensive fashion diver's-watch trend. As it stands, it just looks like something that a person who's into modifying Seikos would come up with.

PS: Harr-umph!
Ah, my friend, please don't confuse me for the buyer, I need no convincing. As said, its not a watch for me. I did say its nice, as I have friends who lurk on the board that might buy one. I've already shared my uncensored thoughts about this piece with the few collectors I know that might buy one (most see it as a not too expensive bang around watch, and they don't actually do any diving). Whether they listen or go their own way I wish them well whatever they choose. There are plenty of people on this thread that buy watches that wouldn't be by 10th choice, be it from Omega, Rolex, Cartier, IWC, Patek, AP, VC etc.

I'm not a fan of the original Calibre so I didn't expect the diver to change my opinion. As I mentioned to Mimo, I'm generally more drawn to Cartier's dress watches than their sports watches.

There aren't many that don't have them. Buy a Seadweller or a Seadweller Deepsea.
Or go without a date and get an Explorer.
The last AD I went to told me that previous models were pretty much obsolete next to the new ones. They are strictly trying to make a buck. That is bad advice though.

Edit: Actually not an official AD so that might be the difference.
They can't make any money if they don't convince you that you "Need and want" the product the sell.

Speaking of Rolex ADs, I had a very troubling experience yesterday while killing time at the mall with my daughter....

While she was trying on swim suits, I wandered into the AD and was looking at some Daytona's. I had my vintage 1970 5513 on and laid it down while trying on a couple of watches. The AD looked at my watch and said what an "old watch", and then proceeded to tell me I should send it in for service since Rolex would replace my bezel with a non-faded one, the dial and arms etc.... and make my watch look much better. I basically ignored his comments, but in looking back.... should have advised him to be careful with that advice. While my watch is a daily "beater", it is worth MUCH more in its original form than some "franken" version. Definitely worth as much as his brand new Explorer I's in his displace case....

Anyhow, we were just passing through the area and I don't think I would seriously consider purchasing from them. I would hate to be an uneducated customer....
Nonsense like that is just the babbling of a sales person who knows only the basics about the products they sell, but who have little or no knowledge of the actual watch market particularly as it pertains to pre-owned and vintage pieces. I've seen this nonsense more times than I'd like to remember at a variety of stores that sell nice watches. If you go to really good stores where the sales people love watches and what they do, they know and understand the value of originality with vintage pieces, and would be more likely to appreciate the patina that a well worn watch has, rather than trying to convince you to update your watch in such a way that it would reduce its value.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Dino or someone else mentioned you can get the AD to swap out the crystal for one without a cyclops if you really want it that way.
Hi JB, that never came from me. I have never heard of AD's swapping out crystals, I think at least in the US...that would be a big NO NO for ADs. On other forums, in the past I have heard of people some how removing the cyclops from the crystal which is on a watch, not sure if its with extreme heat and a sharp blade...or something like that.

Maybe it's different in the US, but I've never had a problem with preserving the original dial/insert/hands/date wheel with Rolex service.
dontknow.gif

The local one even advises people to keep their original parts. Which is fortunate because southwestern Norway is likely the world's per-capita champion of original-owner Sea-Dwellers and Submariners from the '70s and '80s.
Its actually completely different here in the US. If you want a different dial or bezel from Rolex, Rolex takes possession of the old one in exchange for the new. They do not want spare parts in circulation or being sold on Ebay to create "Franken-watches" that are cobbled together from a bunch of old Rolex dials, bezels, bracelets etc. Its also one of the reasons most Rolex ADs in the US do not service Rolex watches on their premises anymore. It helps Rolex maintain control of Rolex parts both new and used.

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah, my friend, please don't confuse me for the buyer, I need no convincing.  As said, its not a watch for me.  I did say its nice, as I have friends who lurk on the board that might buy one.  I've already shared my uncensored thoughts about this piece with the few collectors I know that might buy one (most see it as a not too expensive bang around watch, and they don't actually do any diving).  Whether they listen or go their own way I wish them well whatever they choose.  There are plenty of people on this thread that buy watches that wouldn't be by 10th choice, be it from  Omega, Rolex, Cartier, IWC, Patek, AP, VC etc.  

I'm not a fan of the original Calibre so I didn't expect the diver to change my opinion.  As I mentioned to Mimo, I'm generally more drawn to Cartier's dress watches than their sports watches.
Regrets about any confusion. To be clear, at no point was I labouring under the misapprehension that you were even thinking of getting one; you have far better taste in watches than that.
Its actually completely different here in the US.  If you want a different dial or bezel from Rolex, Rolex takes possession of the old one in exchange for the new.  They do not want spare parts in circulation or being sold on Ebay to create "Franken-watches" that are cobbled together from a bunch of old Rolex dials, bezels, bracelets etc.  Its also one of the reasons most Rolex ADs in the US do not service Rolex watches on their premises anymore. It helps Rolex maintain control of Rolex parts both new and used. 
Yes, that's a pity about the situation across the Atlantic.

I meant that they recommend clients to keep the original parts on the watch during service as long as there aren't any functional issues, although things like getting the original dial back after the Daytona swap and picking up extra bezel inserts without parts exchange hasn't been a problem, either.

Last edited:

onehotchili

Reaction score
Nonsense like that is just the babbling of a sales person who knows only the basics about the products they sell, but who have little or no knowledge of the actual watch market particularly as it pertains to pre-owned and vintage pieces. I've seen this nonsense more times than I'd like to remember at a variety of stores that sell nice watches. If you go to really good stores where the sales people love watches and what they do, they know and understand the value of originality with vintage pieces, and would be more likely to appreciate the patina that a well worn watch has, rather than trying to convince you to update your watch in such a way that it would reduce its value.
I agree and that is why I really didn't pay attention to the sales person. It wasn't till a few hours after I left, that I was thinking about it.... and thought I should have said something....

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regrets about any confusion. To be clear, at no point was I labouring under the misapprehension that you were even thinking of getting one; you have far better taste in watches than that.
Thank you my friend. I just wanted to be sure you didn't think I had lost my mind to the point of actually considering one.
cheers.gif

I agree and that is why I really didn't pay attention to the sales person. It wasn't till a few hours after I left, that I was thinking about it.... and thought I should have said something....
Hey, you knew the difference and were smart enough not to be talked into something foolish, and that's what really matters.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
99% of the Rolex buying people would love their 1970 Sub to come back from service looking like the day they bought it.

And we call these people ________ _______ !

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call me bread'n butter then.

Also I think it's a bit harsh to call a Rolex with Rolex replacement parts a frankenwatch.

I tried the Wabisabi route with my Tudor. I don't think it worked.

Now, THIS is a frankenwatch:

And a cool one if I may say so.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
BTW, I did finally get around to installing my new Radiomir strap.

It is a 27 X 22mm "Jules Verne" (Panerai OEM) that I got from my AD a couple months ago.

I figured this honey-croc look would be a nice change of pace, now that we've had some warm weather and sunshine.

Some may recall that I previously had my 210 on a darker calfskin strap from Panatime (I'd call it medium brown), with croc-grain and white stitching.

Here's some camera phone shots:

I will say that it feels super-soft and already broken-in. Should pair well with some of my my lighter colored shoes and belts that I will be starting to rotate in for spring/summer. (I have some tan driving loafers and a pair of AE McAllisters in walnut, for instance).

The matte look on this strap is a little different compared to the previous one, and hopefully this thing ages nicely and takes on some wear patterns that will give it "wrist character".

Plus it's always nice when the buckle hits in the very center hole and you don't have a lot of excess either way.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keith--

That is a seriously awesome strap. That looks so, so good.

kaizo

Reaction score
Hi I've recently took up an interest in watches. I am thinking of of getting a Tag Heuer aquaracer WAN2110 in the future. I just wondered if anybody knows if the hands could be replaced with a more familiar 'Mercedes hands' which I am using right now?

Does the mechanics accommodate the different style hands?

kaizo

Reaction score
I just happen to like everything about the watch but the hands.

My current Tag is this which I received as a passdown and when it gives out I would like to have a similar one. I just fell in love with the design:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads