• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are from user "artschool" from TRF, who just unboxed his SD4000 (citation required as I do not know him, nor did I ask permission):

ygu7u5yz.jpg

3yvy2a8e.jpg

Beside his 114060 SubC ND:

janebate.jpg

Might just be the angle of the pic for sure, but because of the sleeker lugs, the less chunky crown guards, and more markings on the bezel it seems like it's actually smaller than the SubC ND 'noh?

Thickness compared to the SubC ND:

u4u6aqaz.jpg

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Frills, is that enough of a difference to get the SD4000 when you have a Sub ND? I know you have the same Patek in two different metals but that is quite different from 2 similar SS Rolex well...I guess one does have a date
lol8[1].gif

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So Frills, is that enough of a difference to get the SD4000 when you have a Sub ND? I know you have the same Patek in two different metals but that is quite different from 2 similar SS Rolex well...I guess one does have a date
lol8[1].gif
Unsure. My first reaction after seeing the SD4000 right beside the SubC ND was hmmm I think I may be okay with the 114060. I don't mind not having a date - and as appealing the sleeker lugs and crown guards are to classicists the chunkier look has grown on me. But - I haven't seen the SD4000 in person, and the pics don't highlight enough of the difference between the "silky matte" dial of the SD4000 and the glossier dials of the modern Subs. Guess I'll have to see what I feel once I actually see the SD4000 in person.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@no frills I realized I said I had to see the Speedy Pro in the flesh to decide if it was for me then asked if seeing the SD4000 pics, would it work for you. Funny how things just slip from your thoughts. But once you pointed the subtle differences out, it could make a big difference on how it wears to the 114060. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

@zippyh Love it! Looks well worn and well loved.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zippyh - love the G-Shock and GMT shots! Enjoy Maui!

jbarwick - yeah, really not sure. There are some pieces that just look marvelous in 2D and then once you take into consideration what you already have, and once you see it in the flesh... Hm. We shall see.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JBar - At least you can check off the Speedy on your list to own. Smart move trying them on though. At the end of the day it's all about the emotion your watch gives you.

Frills - congrats on the LV. That's an awesome pair and hope you two get to swap it out often! I'd also love to hear your comparison on your Sub vs the new SD. To me, it seems that having both may be redundant, but to the more seasoned collector there may be a lot more than meets my untrained eye!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There aren't many that don't have them. Buy a Seadweller or a Seadweller Deepsea.

I think Dino or someone else mentioned you can get the AD to swap out the crystal for one without a cyclops if you really want it that way.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I think Dino or someone else mentioned you can get the AD to swap out the crystal for one without a cyclops if you really want it that way.

I would never trust any AD I've bought from or been to, to swap out a crystal. Personally.

onehotchili

Reaction score
Speaking of Rolex ADs, I had a very troubling experience yesterday while killing time at the mall with my daughter....

While she was trying on swim suits, I wandered into the AD and was looking at some Daytona's. I had my vintage 1970 5513 on and laid it down while trying on a couple of watches. The AD looked at my watch and said what an "old watch", and then proceeded to tell me I should send it in for service since Rolex would replace my bezel with a non-faded one, the dial and arms etc.... and make my watch look much better. I basically ignored his comments, but in looking back.... should have advised him to be careful with that advice. While my watch is a daily "beater", it is worth MUCH more in its original form than some "franken" version. Definitely worth as much as his brand new Explorer I's in his displace case....

Anyhow, we were just passing through the area and I don't think I would seriously consider purchasing from them. I would hate to be an uneducated customer....

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last AD I went to told me that previous models were pretty much obsolete next to the new ones. They are strictly trying to make a buck. That is bad advice though.

Edit: Actually not an official AD so that might be the difference.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Speaking of Rolex ADs, I had a very troubling experience yesterday while killing time at the mall with my daughter....

While she was trying on swim suits, I wandered into the AD and was looking at some Daytona's.  I had my vintage 1970 5513 on and laid it down while trying on a couple of watches.  The AD looked at my watch and said what an "old watch", and then proceeded to tell me I should send it in for service since Rolex would replace my bezel with a non-faded one, the dial and arms etc.... and make my watch look much better.  I basically ignored his comments, but in looking back.... should have advised him to be careful with that advice.  While my watch is a daily "beater", it is worth MUCH more in its original form than some "franken" version.  Definitely worth as much as his brand new Explorer I's in his displace case....

Anyhow, we were just passing through the area and I don't think I would seriously consider purchasing from them.  I would hate to be an uneducated customer....

Rolex wants all their watches to look brand new. It's better marketing. That's why they would replace all your old parts on your beloved vintage watch. Rolex doesn't care about that stuff like some owners do. 99% of the Rolex buying people would love their 1970 Sub to come back from service looking like the day they bought it. Forum going Rolex owners are a different breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics