1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

I know Rubber B talks about their straps as having "solid inserts" to enhance durability. I doubt they're titanium, but I also don't think it matters. I just ordered this one:

[​IMG]

In my opinion, the new everose YM is GORGEOUS. I wouldn't buy it, personally. I'm just not a big enough Rolex fanboy (yet) to want a sports watch in a precious metal. Maybe later in life after I have a couple of gold or platinum dress watches in my watch box. However, if I were to meet someone wearing one, I'd probably be caught staring.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

I read that it is lined with titanium so probably more durable. I hope that straps can be bought separately at reasonable price /quote]

It'll be interesting to try that on. Never had an issue with my rubber strap not being sold enough but who knows, Rolex makes great bracelets.

Reasonable is relative for the most part but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the price won't strike most people as a great deal.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Since the introduction of the 116520 Daytona 15 years ago, Daytonas have had a power reserve of 72 hrs (66 if you leave the chronograph running).

1 person likes this.
  4. aleksandr

aleksandr Well-Known Member

Rubber B is very nice and I'm pretty sure though costly, will be half or even less of the price of a standalone oysterflex. Although I should say, I have the blue version of that strap and the stripe is a lot more subtle in real life. I'm digging the YM too, but it needs to get in line behind the TT blue sub on my kop list.

5. tigerpac

Same as some of Seiko's chronographs and right about the Breitling B01 and less than some micros like FP Journe but yeah, should have noted non-chrono movements.

6. tigerpac

This was news to me, guess a little Omega trivia - 'The name "Globemaster" was originally used for the Constellation timepieces that were produced and distributed in the United States during the 1950s.'

7. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Did not read all new posts, but has this been discussed yet?

[​IMG]

Edit - Yes, I see it has been brought up. I kinda like it.

8. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen live pics of the 39mm OP?

Weird that there are live pics of the YM and DD 40, even the Pearlmaster but not the 39 OP.

Also, does this mean the DD II (41mm) are going to be phased out?

9. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

I was never much of a fan of the DJ II. They were also pretty hard to move secondhand. Even full box and papers in excellent condition.

10. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Ok found a vid of the 39 OP. I think it looks pretty good and the markers are less noticeable, even the green on the blue dialed version but you still know it is there. With that said, it's probably won't make my to buy list. The 3,6,9 lumed baton markers looks a bit odd too.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

YM

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. kimmo

kimmo Well-Known Member

I think I said earlier that Milgauss is probably the only Rolex I'd consider, that 39 OP looks to be the second on that list. That Yachmaster looks also cool, apart from the cyclops but I know this divides opinions anyway.

12. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

When I see the new YM, I just see this (black on black will just never work for me unless I become a crime fighting billionaire):
    [​IMG][​IMG]

While I'm sure Rolex has been upgrading along the way, I'd find it hard to believe this is not them competing with/responding to the Cal 8500, etc, in some way. And that's not a bad thing at all IMO. I'd love these two companies to push each other in terms of solid daily workhorse movements. Also, if you read the latest Rolex article in Hodinkee, you also see that Rolex isn't always the first, that they have a history of waiting and designing it better, "Rolex would not be the first to make an automatic watch, but it wasn't the first to make a waterproof case, either. In the same way that Apple is seldom first to launch a product, Rolex would observe, study, improve, and execute in a way that seemingly cast aside any advancement in a space that came before it.". Granted, that is more in their history, but I would think that is just as applicable in this instance as the part about the continuous upgrade to the 4130. Really, neither of us could say for certain, but I think the safe assumption is that it's probably a bit of both.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  13. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Snoopy Speedy lume from @ablogtowatch. Maybe my first Omega.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  14. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

An aside to the regularly scheduled programming here...
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  15. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

The new bezel on the omega looks really nice.

Even in the vid of the OP, those markers still really bother me. But to each their own.

16. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

17. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I learned something as a result of all this:
    And here is the original pin Nasa used as an award:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    4 people like this.
  18. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

As mentioned, I wouldn't buy a YM, but its the first one that I don't completely dislike. As stated before, I've never seen a point to owning a more blingy derivative of the Sub with less water resistance.

I suppose my statement was a bit stronger than intended. To me it seemed the OP's statement made it sound like until the cal 8500 etc was released, Rolex did nothing with its movements, which is not accurate. Rolex has always been a company of evolutionary changes (one only needs to look at Submariners of the last 60+ years to see that), and yes they are often not the first in their field to do something. While there is something to said for being first, there is also something to be said for companies or people that can take a good idea, and improve upon it so that its better than the original.

Regarding Omega (and say Brietling), in the last 10+ years both made huge changes by creating in house movements (15 years ago, both were still largely dependent on outsourced movements). In a world where so many people were and are focused on whether a brand uses in house movements (I don't mind outsourced movements as long has they are very high quality), they had a lot of catching up to do. However, I also think that when one is forced to come up with something completely new, rather than improving and evolving, sometimes a company reaches new standards sooner.

In the end competition is good for most brands, and its good for us in terms of variety, improvements in design, and hopefully pricing. Cheers!

19. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Snoopy subdial. Seems like a collector's item in the making.

20. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

Re Snoopy Speedy - I love the lumed bezel. I appreciate the Snoopy history (thanks, dopey). But I don't warm to the idea of a cartoon character on my watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.