• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For you:

qy2uvy9u.jpg

Those Boultons look great Warren! Unfortunately, I think Hamilton is currently offering a quartz version only.

The Curvex is quite small by today's standards but I wear it probably at least once every 2-3 weeks.

And I go through stages, but my favorite Frilly watch of late would have to be the Nautilus LOL.

lol I don't blame you. To said Frills have an amazing collection would be an understatement. While I prefer the Royal Oak, especially the Jumbo. The Nautilus is a damn good looking watch. I don't know how to describe the bracelet, but it has a fine silky feel to it lol.

I saw the quartz version not so long ago. I wish Hamilton would make an auto version, the one I saw was quartz and gold plated.

Last edited:

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of quartz, how do you guys feel about the Rolex Oysterquartz? My uncle just pick one up and I must say.. I'm smitten. I'm sure I'll get some mixed feelings from you guys.

I think I read somewhere. James Dowling mention that the strap on the Oyster quartz is the strongest strap ever made by Rolex

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Oysterquartz is delectable. I absolutely love that thing. I wish I had one of those. Such a great watch, and a great part of Rolex history.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of quartz, how do you guys feel about the Rolex Oysterquartz? My uncle just pick one up and I must say.. I'm smitten. I'm sure I'll get some mixed feelings from you guys.

I think I read somewhere. James Dowling mention that the strap on the Oyster quartz is the strongest strap ever made by Rolex

Hi Warren,

Very nice Oysterquartz images (although you should be aware that in the photo above, only the blue dial watch is an OQ. The silver dial watch is NOT an Oysterquartz, it was a largely unpopular variation in which an automatic/oyster perpetual movement was put in an what appears to be a ref 17000 OQ case/bracelet. Its actually ref 1530, and is quickly noted by its sort of pie pan-ish dial. The 1530s generally sell for a lot more than an OQ or a DJ from the same period. Ref 1530 was only made for a few years).

That being said the Oyster Quartz was way ahead of its time, and it was the top of the line Rolex when it was released. These are not your average quartz movements. Caliber 5035 is incredibly rugged and has 11 jewels with a stepper motor to move the hands (one of the reasons it ticks so loudly). The ref 17000 OQ had a higher MSRP than a Sub Date, GMT Master or Daytona in the early 1980s. But that all changed when interest in mechanical watches was revived in the mid to late 1980s and prices of other models eventually surpassed that of the OQ. That being said the OQ was the first all steel Rolex to have completely solid links on its bracelet back in the late 1970s (Daytonas got them in the year 2000 with the 116520, and GMTs and Subs didn't get them until just a few years ago when the Ceramic bezel models were released). So these were the most rugged bracelet Rolex offered for many years. In addition, they were also the first all steel Rolex watches to get synthetic sapphire crystals, and beyond that the OQ was far more anti-magnetic than the famous vintage Milgauss.

As popularity in Quartz watches diminished production was reduced and Rolex finally discontinued the OQs around 2004. I bought mine new in 2004 just as they were going out of production. In my opinion, its a great watch. Its definitely at child of the 70s and you can see some AP RO influence in the case shape. The bracelet is a work of art. Its bold, but elegant and its definitely at very versatile design that looks great with jeans or with a suit. I like having a watch that I can not wear for weeks at a time, pick it up and not have to set it if I'm in a hurry. Also, if you stop in at the Rolex service center (at least the one on 5th Ave) they will change the battery for free! I usually do that every 2 years in NYC. Today, the OQ particularly the all steel and all gold seem to have gained a cult following.

Congrats to your uncle on his new OQ.

Here is quick photo of mine Ref 17000 with my platinum square Furrer-Jacot wedding band.

A wrist shot

and a quick photo next to the "Jumbo"

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congrats to your uncle on his new OQ.

Thank you for those great pictures! I especially enjoy that Jumbo and OQ picture :slayer: :nodding:. The RO "Jumbo" is definitely one of my dream watch (especially the blue dial). Is your Jumbo the blue dial? I can't really tell. My uncle is still pretty stoked about the watch. The Rolex OQ has definitely moved up on my watch list now. I'm quite fond of the silver dial.

Dino, like always.. I appreciated your well thought out responses and opinions. It means a lot to get a response back that is so well thought out.

I love those OQs.

saaaaaaaaaaame here :D

Last edited:

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino is one of the (many) reasons why this thread here is so great. I read more than I post...I don't have many watches, certainly not many great ones, but I love reading and learning here everyday. It's such a pleasure.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i love the look of the OQ, screams 80s to me, and its awesome. but i just cant wrap my head around the quartz part. :(

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lawlz.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i love the look of the OQ, screams 80s to me, and its awesome. but i just cant wrap my head around the quartz part. :(

I don't know, for some reason or another, I certainly understand the quartz thing. I mean, not enough that I would abandon my mechanicals for a quartz, but I do have an interest in the HEQ segment. I think I would like a SD or Quartz movement in the stable. One thing that I find particularly nice about having one quartz watch (I gave mine to my little brother, who wears it everyday, so it went to a good home) is that when you pick it up, it is ticking away and is keeping perfect time. The low maintenance is nice if you are running late for work, and you need a dress watch or something like that. The perpetual calendar Citizen that keeps time to within ~5-15 seconds a year really interests me. I think it would be a highly practical watch to own, and a great watch to set your others to!

The OQ would also be a great selection :).

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know, for some reason or another, I certainly understand the quartz thing. I mean, not enough that I would abandon my mechanicals for a quartz, but I do have an interest in the HEQ segment. I think I would like a SD or Quartz movement in the stable. One thing that I find particularly nice about having one quartz watch (I gave mine to my little brother, who wears it everyday, so it went to a good home) is that when you pick it up, it is ticking away and is keeping perfect time. The low maintenance is nice if you are running late for work, and you need a dress watch or something like that. The perpetual calendar Citizen that keeps time to within ~5-15 seconds a year really interests me. I think it would be a highly practical watch to own, and a great watch to set your others to!

The OQ would also be a great selection :).

+1

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score

What's wrong with you?! There is nothing not great about a Sub, it's a clear stand-out! Actually the JLC was the other "one" in the cheaper selection of course, although I tried on the Grand Ultra Thin and found it a little dull: a little texture on the dial, or even the seconds subdial, or blued hands, or something, would transform it. It's nice, but as it's all dial too, it just needs a tiny bit more personality. Like the MUT Moon - which I didn't especially love until I saw it on my wrist, and now I dream about it...

The IWC in the fancy collection's cool. But it's a lot for a pilot watch; I'd be happy with a Stowa to fill that gap.

Lovely 3940!!! Beside the 3970/5970, that is my favorite PP hands down.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
shog[1].gif

x2!!!

Most of the Cellinis are pretty small. Top of my head, I believe the Danaos XL is the largest at 38mm (perfect size imo).

The 3970 has no rival! But yeah, the 3940 is so pretty..especially on that blue strap. Shoes aren't bad either!

I looked up that Cellini and it's really quite pretty. And around for about $7k in gold, so maybe worth CTLion's taking a look.

Here is quick photo of mine Ref 17000 with my platinum square Furrer-Jacot wedding band.

You have square fingers?

I think the OQ looks magnificent.

Dino is a real-time interactive watch encyclopaedia.

nod[1].gif

I love this thread.

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's wrong with you?!  There is nothing not great about a Sub, it's a clear stand-out!  Actually the JLC was the other "one" in the cheaper selection of course, although I tried on the Grand Ultra Thin and found it a little dull: a little texture on the dial, or even the seconds subdial, or blued hands, or something, would transform it.  It's nice, but as it's all dial too, it just needs a tiny bit more personality.  Like the MUT Moon - which I didn't especially love until I saw it on my wrist, and now I dream about it...

The IWC in the fancy collection's cool.  But it's a lot for a pilot watch; I'd be happy with a Stowa to fill that gap.

The 3970 has no rival!  But yeah, the 3940 is so pretty..especially on that blue strap.  Shoes aren't bad either!

I looked up that Cellini and it's really quite pretty.  And around for about $7k in gold, so maybe worth CTLion's taking a look.

You have square fingers?

I think the OQ looks magnificent.

nod%5B1%5D.gif

I love this thread.

I love that you love it, means you're sticking around man! Good for us all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics