• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
A plastic-breasted petrolhead with a watch collection? Wayward was right, she is interesting. If still rather unattractive.

As for you, Imelda, we poor stragglers who have lived the wondrous vicarious rollercoaster of your purchasing spree late last year, are now rather bereft. You must be thinking about something?

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do all of you think about Hamilton's for a starter automatic/manual watch in the $500-1000 range? My son just graduated from HS so I was looking at a new or used diver or chronograph or something like these:

http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en/gents/khaki/field/auto-chrono-38mm/H71466133
http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en/gents/khaki/field/auto-40mm/H70595133

Any other brands/watches to consider? Sinn 556? Of course I could just give him my Breitling Premier and use the money to get myself another watch :)

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hamilton is a great choice for an entry level watch. They are fairly priced, robust, well made, and all that jazz.

In that price range, I would look at the following:

Tissot Visodate
Various Hamiltons
Stowa--MO, Pilot, etc.
Seiko SARB

I am sure that there are others I cannot think of, but those are the ones that are popping into my head right now.

Of course, you could always give him your Breitling :).

kungapa

Reaction score
I'd vote for a Stowa - less ubiquitous than the Hamilton's, and you are not buying a watch from a big group, but rather from a small independent watchmaker trying to do interesting things (Jorg Schauer, the reviver of the Stowa brand).

rohde88

Reaction score

Hamilton is a great choice for an entry level watch. They are fairly priced, robust, well made, and all that jazz.

Tissot Visodate
Various Hamiltons
Stowa--MO, Pilot, etc.
Seiko SARB

I am sure that there are others I cannot think of, but those are the ones that are popping into my head right now.

pun master

rohde88

Reaction score

Tissot Visodate
Various Hamiltons
Stowa--MO, Pilot, etc.
Seiko SARB

pun master

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A plastic-breasted petrolhead with a watch collection? Wayward was right, she is interesting. If still rather unattractive.

As for you, Imelda, we poor stragglers who have lived the wondrous vicarious rollercoaster of your purchasing spree late last year, are now rather bereft. You must be thinking about something?

Was it actually late last year? I think a large bulk of it was happening in Jan/Feb this year... so I haven't been "out of the game" for that long.

As it turns out, I am back on the hunt - but for a family member who wants to give his wife a "significant" mechanical piece for their 10th wedding anniversary. His wife already has a Cartier (quartz) and a B&M but they tend to be on the dressier side and he wants a mechanical piece that (a) she can wear on a daily basis and (b) would be on the sporty/stainless side but still be (c) acceptably "classic." His words, not mine. Budget is $3,000 to $5,000. Says his wife is fine with a men's size as long as it doesn't exceed 40mm.

His first thought is to get a vintage Sub - maybe a no-date 5513. She borrowed one from a friend a few months ago and he says she quite liked the feel and look of it. Any other thoughts given the criteria he outlined above?

Given what he saw of my recent purchasing spree he was asking if he could get a ladies Patek given his budget, but when I pointed him to vintage Ellipse models like this one:

http://www.antiquorum.com/catalog/lots/patek-philippe-ref-ref-4226-1-lot-273-294

... he almost vomited. Guess he didn't like the aesthetics.

Thoughts?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do not like. i dont think that would appeal to many women under 70.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tissot Visodate
Various Hamiltons
Stowa--MO, Pilot, etc.
Seiko SARB

For a chrono, Archimede pilot.

http://www.archimede-watches.com/ar...graph-b-watch-automatic-valjoux-eta-7750.html

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do not like. i dont think that would appeal to many women under 70.

I hate it too. But it was the only example of a vintage Patek for ladies that I could find for under $5K. My brother-in-law did say send me the first example I came across.....

dbln79

Reaction score
Here's some lume from a 112

Khal80

Reaction score
Still looking for a watch with a 3/4k budget.....thoughts on:

-Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 Chronograph Automatic or
Frederique Constant Heartbeat Mens Watch

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still looking for a watch with a 3/4k budget.....thoughts on:

-Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 Chronograph Automatic or
Frederique Constant Heartbeat Mens Watch

Why is the font so highlighted with the FC suggestion? Are you saying that you basically prefer this one...?
smile.gif

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL ^ is she Asian? My girl thinks this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads