• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pairing precious metals with rubber straps, reminds me fancy restaurants that try to pair exotic foods with ordinary foods. Sometimes I can't tell if the idea is to elevate something ordinary or to make something fancy seem more casual, but often the end result is merely a pretentious mess.

Case in point, pm Daytonas on OysterFlex.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'll just note that the guy is wearing a tweed-ish suit with a sweatshirt draped over the shoulders nantucket-style. yes it is all very editorial (that bokeh!) but on the street i dunno.
Ex SF regular Phat Guido was a regular customer of P Johnson and he used to that ridiculous thing with the sweater too. I don’t know which one of them started it but I wish they hadn’t bothered.

benf

Reaction score
This watch (Patek 5522A) was launched during the Patek NY exhibition in July. LE of 600 pieces, available in the US only. MSRP was 21k.

Deets:
SS, 42mm dial

There’re now *3 listings on Chrono24 with asking prices ranging between $49k to $75k. That’s a markup of 130% to 250% for a 600 pcs LE.

Is this a case of
- irrational exuberance
- free market
- Trump trade
- all of the above?

6405E092-4A55-4296-83A9-A5BBFFD9DBF7.jpeg

7E66B8CC-2373-45AE-BE29-1457D7F20D71.jpeg

5453F5A4-0812-49AB-82B0-CFD6F2D3BF44.jpeg

Last edited:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This watch (5522A) was launched during the Patek NY exhibition in July. LE of 600 pieces, available in the US only. Price $21k.

There’re *3 listings on Chrono24 with asking prices ranging between $49k to $75k.

Is this a case of
- irrational exuberance
- free market
- Trump trade
- all of the above?

View attachment 856461
Patek makes some undeniably gorgeous watches and I would love to add one or more to my collection. This one however, is not one of them. In fact, I would honestly rather wear this:

20161009_092919.jpg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This watch (5522A) was launched during the Patek NY exhibition in July. LE of 600 pieces, available in the US only. Price $21k.

There’re *3 listings on Chrono24 with asking prices ranging between $49k to $75k.

Is this a case of
- irrational exuberance
- free market
- Trump trade
- all of the above?

View attachment 856461

Its a matter of matter of speculation and a free market. Patek doesn't offer a large selection of watches in steel, this is a limited edition, and dealers, gray dealers, and flippers know there are people who will spend crazy money on watches just because it has the Patek name on the dial, so they are taking advantage of it's limited supply (and potential buyers). Personally, I don't find it attractive, and for more than its MSRP, but far less than what speculators are seeking, I'd rather have a Calatrava in gold or platinum or some other watch.

pmeis

Reaction score

Is this a case of
- irrational exuberance
- free market
- Trump trade
- all of the above?

View attachment 856461

I actually like this one enough (the look, not as a Patek) that it sent me off on a hunt for other simple time only watches with applied lumed Arabic numerals. For some reason this is not a popular style/feature choice. Didn't really find anything that I liked. I found plenty of applied Arabic dials, plenty of applied lumed stick dials, but almost none with applied Arabic and luminant and what I did find I didn't like the font choice.

Last edited:

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on if it's a B&M or online. Online greys typically buy it outright, no consignment.

Thanks. I'm actually seeing quite a few on consignment and I'm very curious as to the cut the grey dealers are taking. I'm guessing something like 20%, but I'm not really sure.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they might work a sliding scale. 15% can get expensive quick. having consigned some not-cheap guitars lately i also found that there is often lots of wiggle room so negotiation seems very possible as well.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
^ Yeah, I agree with you and could not justify such a purchase. But it does look kinda cool, in the way the newish Yacht-Master in gold looks hip, too. I think I would quickly tire of the look and hence prefer a gold watch to have a leather strap.

Would rather have the Yacht-Master in gold myself-- or the Aquanaut, rather than a comparable Hublot on rubber strap. But that's just me personally.

Here's another gratuitous wrist shot from one of my visits to the AD. (Did not buy LOL). But I honestly thought it had a warm look, a weighty "precious metal" heft, and was also quite impressed with the strap, although I'm sure Rolex is somewhat overstating all of the research and technological advancements that it's supposed to represent.

View media item 2292014

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would rather have the Yacht-Master in gold myself-- or the Aquanaut, rather than a comparable Hublot on rubber strap. But that's just me personally.

Here's another gratuitous wrist shot from one of my visits to the AD. (Did not buy LOL). But I honestly thought it had a warm look, a weighty "precious metal" heft, and was also quite impressed with the strap, although I'm sure Rolex is somewhat overstating all of the research and technological advancements that it's supposed to represent.

View media item 2292014

I'd rather have any Rolex than an Hublot period. However, perhaps if any brand should be purchased on a rubber strap, it would be Hublot as they basically invented the concept with their first collection of watches back in the early 1980s.

I like the look of a rose gold watch with a black dial. However, in the photo you posted, it basically looks like a large black plastic watch. Yes, I can see some of the lugs and a bit of the crown, but you really can't see much of the rose gold. Sure, from other angles one will see more gold. For example if looking at it from the side or the case back you will see more gold, but realistically, looking down upon it is the view one typically has of the watch when its being worn. IMHO, its a lot of money for a lot of rubber.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Pretty much agree with you Dino, and that's leaving aside the cringe-y moniker which has been discussed before as well :bounce2: Ahoy, skipper!

So this is probably a whole 'nother tangent, but for better or worse, I'd have to say that Hublot has been quite influential in terms of what's viewed as "popular" by the non-WIS crowd over the last 5-10 years.

The gold / rubber thing isn't necessarily new, as you've pointed out. Yet for that huge portion of the watch buying public that's just picking up whatever quartz piece at the mall, or something that catches their eye on Amazon....there's a whole lotta stuff getting snapped up that's at least vaguely Hublot-ish.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I actually like this one enough (the look, not as a Patek) that it sent me off on a hunt for other simple time only watches with applied lumed Arabic numerals. For some reason this is not a popular style/feature choice. Didn't really find anything that I liked. I found plenty of applied Arabic dials, plenty of applied lumed stick dials, but almost none with applied Arabic and luminant and what I did find I didn't like the font choice.

Curious if you happened to catch Alpina's version. Bit of a mashup with Arabic / horizontal? sticks...but of course would retail at a mere fraction of the Patek.

http://alpinawatches.com/baselworld-spotlight-alpinas-new-startimer-pilot-automatic/

Also, shout out to whoever posted the Hamilton Khaki :slayer:

pmeis

Reaction score

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find gold watches with rubber straps are working too hard to be something they're not.

+1 and that descriptive is also accurate for the gentleman in the photo wearing said watch, I feel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads