• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manfredi in Greenwich comes to mind, if you don't mind driving into CT.
I have never been, but have heard many good things about them.

I've never purchased anything there, but I've been there. They have a very nice shop with a wide range of brands, and the sales associates have always been very nice and are happy to chat about watches.

What's your opinion on the patek 5167? I was thinking of getting it as a daily. I would wear it swimming, to the gym, to go play tennis. Everywhere. Do you view it as the poor man's patek or the active man's patek?

Not a fan of it. I don't care for the dial, the hands, or the rubber strap. Even the optional metal bracelet seems a bit like a generic cross between a Rolex Oyster bracelet and a Breguet Type XX bracelet. I know there are people who like the Aquanaut but honestly I've wondered at times if it didn't have the Patek name on the dial if people would care about it. If I were spending money for a steel Patek sports watch, I'd choose a Nautilus. To me its a more distinctive design, the dial is more attractive, and I find it a more versatile watch.

I was wasn't a fan of the Aquanaut when it first came out, but it was maybe less offensive to me when it was something like a $10K...at over $20K+ to me its just way too much money. I'm not sure I'd call a 5167 a "Poor man's Patek," as no Patek is inexpensive these days, but when spending that kind of money, I'd save up and get a 5711. Anyway, wishing you luck with whatever you decide. Obviously, if you are in love the 5167, then go for it!

Dillardiv

Reaction score
Picked this up slightly used via a pretty low “make best offer” on eBay. To my suprise it was accepted without counter. The watch was basically brand new, it still had the sticker on the back. While the realization of the watch itself is not as perfect as it could or should be (I’m looking at you oddly placed date wheel), I’m finding it quite a bit more delightful than I had imagined. The size and thickness is just about perfect for my tastes, relatively thin, but thick enough to still maintain a proper heft on the wrist.

The biggest suprise for me is the Santoni strap. Never liked how this pilot style cut looked in pics, but it really completes the package. After selling my old tobacco dialed PAM, happy to have another brown dialed watch. I think this will be getting the majority of wrist time this fall.

FmRSHAh.jpg

Mind if I ask what you ended up paying?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your opinion on the patek 5167? I was thinking of getting it as a daily. I would wear it swimming, to the gym, to go play tennis. Everywhere. Do you view it as the poor man's patek or the active man's patek?

I think it's nice but a little over priced for what it is. The watch is really legible and the lume shots are great. It's a much better daily than a Nautilus since it's on a rubber strap.

I'd go for a strap over a bracelet since the bracelet just looks off to me in a lot of pictures. I heard Patek is discontinuing the green strap which is probably the one I would get if I were ever to get an Aquanaut.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Absolutely the Nautilus is favored by most over the Aquanaut, but I do find a lot of... personality in the 5167, and would be happy to own one myself. Not a poor man's watch (in any sense) to me.

Per usual, dino makes some great points in terms of how that watch is frequently perceived.

For me, it would come down to the notion of whether or not I was "settling" for the Aquanaut--not only vs. it's more highly-regarded stable mate, but also as compared to the multitude of options in this price range.

Also, in my opinion, it's a watch should be worn on rubber only, and used for sports/casual only, whereas the Nautilus with it's gorgeous dial and bracelet would be far more appropriate for work and other scenarios.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I used to dislike the Aquanaut, but the more I saw it out in the wild, the more I grew to really enjoy it. I'd be happy to own one, border line thrilled. I'm also the IDGAF what other people think type of person while having my own set of quirky rules that I'll happily try to push on everyone else :hide:.

dan'l

Reaction score
I am also in the "not a big fan" camp, but after I saw a photo of Patrick from P. Johnson wearing a gold Aquanaut, I have to admit that it looked quite dashing and quirky, until I looked up the price.

patrick-johnson.jpg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also in the "not a big fan" camp, but after I saw a photo of Patrick from P. Johnson wearing a gold Aquanaut, I have to admit that it looked quite dashing and quirky, until I looked up the price.

patrick-johnson.jpg

I find gold watches with rubber straps are working too hard to be something they're not. Yes, its usually on a sports watch, but its not a $50 black plastic Casio, so why pair it with a band that belongs on one? Perhaps the Patek rubber strap is the highest end, most exotic and supple rubber strap...but at the end of the day its a rubber strap. Pairing precious metals with rubber straps, reminds me fancy restaurants that try to pair exotic foods with ordinary foods. Sometimes I can't tell if the idea is to elevate something ordinary or to make something fancy seem more casual, but often the end result is merely a pretentious mess. I don't want a peanut butter, jelly, froie gras and caviar sandwich, and I don't want a high end watch on a rubber strap either. However, there are enough consumers who in recent years have purchased watches with rubber straps and rubber bezels, so I am sure we will continue to see high end rubberized watches in the market place for many years to come.

dan'l

Reaction score
^ Yeah, I agree with you and could not justify such a purchase. But it does look kinda cool, in the way the newish Yacht-Master in gold looks hip, too. I think I would quickly tire of the look and hence prefer a gold watch to have a leather strap.

eloquent

Reaction score
Thank you for your opinions. For me it is either a 5167 or 5164 for a daily watch. I just like the understated design, I think I am way too much of an introvert to wear the equivalent AP or even the nautilus. I also have very small wrists, at 6" I think I cannot wear too loud an adornment. I do agree with dino944, that pairing a precious metal with rubber really is like pairing an exotic ingredient with an ordinary one. Stainless for sportswatches it the way to go.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Aquanaut is fine, but I'm not a big fan of it. The issue for me (other than preferring the Nautilus) is the rubber strap. I think it really limits how and when I'd wear the watch. Take the picture above. I'd never wear that watch with that outfit. The fact the watch is gold helps some, but that strap still makes it out of place if you ask me. For me the Aquanaut is somewhat of a seasonal watch (unless you live in a warm climate year round) which in the Winter months would look out of place with just about everything I can envision one wearing.

I think it's nice but a little over priced for what it is. The watch is really legible and the lume shots are great. It's a much better daily than a Nautilus since it's on a rubber strap.

Really? I see the Nautilus as a much better daily wearer. In fact can think of few instances where I would wear an Aquanaut over a Nautilus. To each their own of course.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'll just note that the guy is wearing a tweed-ish suit with a sweatshirt draped over the shoulders nantucket-style. yes it is all very editorial (that bokeh!) but on the street i dunno.

eloquent

Reaction score
The Aquanaut is fine, but I'm not a big fan of it. The issue for me (other than preferring the Nautilus) is the rubber strap. I think it really limits how and when I'd wear the watch. Take the picture above. I'd never wear that watch with that outfit. The fact the watch is gold helps some, but that strap still makes it out of place if you ask me. For me the Aquanaut is somewhat of a seasonal watch (unless you live in a warm climate year round) which in the Winter months would look out of place with just about everything I can envision one wearing.

I like your observation of the aquanaut being more suitable for warm climates, and I do live in a country where it is hot all year around, so thank you for your input :) Now to find a good deal on one..

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not looking to sell a watch, but I'm curious as to the consensus on what % grey market dealers pocket for watches they sell on consignment.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? I see the Nautilus as a much better daily wearer. In fact can think of few instances where I would wear an Aquanaut over a Nautilus. To each their own of course.

Yes, like you said it’s a warm weather watch and I live in Houston where I’m used to wearing shorts and a t shirt during Christmas. Also, I have an AP RO which I used to daily. I’ve owned it since March and it’s already scratched up to hell. Now I only wear my RO when I wear long sleeve shirts that can cover my watch somewhat to help prevent dinging it on things. The Nautilus would be similar to the RO where if you’re not careful it’ll get scratched to hell also.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harrier2man