• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much agree, and that's leaving aside the cringe-y moniker as well :bounce2: Ahoy, skipper!

So this is probably a whole 'nother tangent, but for better or worse, I'd have to say that Hublot has been quite influential in terms of what's viewed as "popular" by the non-WIS crowd over the last 5-10 years.

Regarding the Cringe-y moniker....I guess Snob-Master, Billionaire-Master, Silicon Valley-Master were all taken ;)

Its name doesn't really sound like it fits in with the names of other "Tool watches" in the collection.

Yes, in the last 10-15 years Hublot made a huge comeback in popularity. It was a brand that seemed nearly dead in the late 1990s. I can't say they've made anything I'd be interested in owning, but the public does seem to love them.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, in the last 10-15 years Hublot made a huge comeback in popularity. It was a brand that seemed nearly dead in the late 1990s. I can't say they've made anything I'd be interested in owning, but the public does seem to love them.
The previous CEO was also 100% all in for customer service. There were stories of him reading watch forums and people complaining about some QC issue with the watch. He would respond with additional years of warranty, more straps, etc to make sure that the Hublot owner has a good experience with the brand.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The previous CEO was also 100% all in for customer service. There were stories of him reading watch forums and people complaining about some QC issue with the watch. He would respond with additional years of warranty, more straps, etc to make sure that the Hublot owner has a good experience with the brand.

Well, I give them a lot of credit for doing that. It would be nice if other companies embraced that practice. Still, there aren't any Hublots that I want to own.

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
T
I've never purchased anything there, but I've been there. They have a very nice shop with a wide range of brands, and the sales associates have always been very nice and are happy to chat about watches.

Not a fan of it. I don't care for the dial, the hands, or the rubber strap. Even the optional metal bracelet seems a bit like a generic cross between a Rolex Oyster bracelet and a Breguet Type XX bracelet. I know there are people who like the Aquanaut but honestly I've wondered at times if it didn't have the Patek name on the dial if people would care about it. If I were spending money for a steel Patek sports watch, I'd choose a Nautilus. To me its a more distinctive design, the dial is more attractive, and I find it a more versatile watch.

I was wasn't a fan of the Aquanaut when it first came out, but it was maybe less offensive to me when it was something like a $10K...at over $20K+ to me its just way too much money. I'm not sure I'd call a 5167 a "Poor man's Patek," as no Patek is inexpensive these days, but when spending that kind of money, I'd save up and get a 5711. Anyway, wishing you luck with whatever you decide. Obviously, if you are in love the 5167, then go for it!
The Nautilus is the only Patek that has that 1970’s Gerald Genta vibe at full volume. I would have a hard time turning one down if the price was right.

updog

Reaction score
+1 and that descriptive is also accurate for the gentleman in the photo wearing said watch, I feel.

Describes that fellows business practices, too. Bit of controversy over that lately here in Australia.

- JFC you're insufferable.
- You've had a chip on your shoulder since he opened his business, for reasons unknown.
- We all remember when you were a shill for Steven Aver.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because I knew Johnson wasn't what he claimed and it's been proven so. He's been ripping people off left and right. It's all come out now.

And what are you, a P Johnson shill? Gimme a break! You've been placed on ignore. Bye bye.

alpyigit

Reaction score
My beloved Sonata. Should wear more!

71B15F85-0D06-4FEF-96B5-86BC91609595.jpeg

updog

Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't know the backstory for P Johnson?

- An anonymous commentator on Crompton's blog claimed that Johnson had lied to customers about where their clothes were made.
- The usual goons that hang out in Crompton's comments dogpiled.
- I think that the commentator was Dirschel or one of the goons that hang out in the Australian Members thread here who've long expressed sour grapes when ever someone mentions Johnson.
- Dirschel has a long history of obsessing over vendors - here, here, and here.
- I'm a long time customer, and I trust that Johnson and his team have never lied to me, for reasons outlined here.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satyam012