• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is the "post a photo of a watch not mentioned" game over? i see walls of text

my new Daytona has not gained or lost a second over the past 4 days
i synchronized the time to https://www.time.gov/
is this an accurate way to check the accuracy of my watch?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bring back solid casebacks. Yay/nay? I vote yay.

With a few exceptions, as others have noted above, I vote "yay". Display backs are largely the watch equivalent of working cuff buttons on suits - they allow manufacturers to increase the price and to use it as a selling feature, even though it's quite pointless on the vast majority of watches.

What's more (just like cuff buttons if you need to adjust the sleeves on a jacket), display backs can be a hindrance, as they can add weight and thickness to a watch.

99.999% of 15202s, 15400s, ROOs, and all other luxury watches are bought as flashy status symbols.

I think that if we were truthful with ourselves, we'd admit that most of the watches discussed in this thread are, one way or another, status symbols.

Of course, we like to tell ourselves (and each other) that we buy them because we like the history, we like the workmanship, we like the story of the watch and so on. Ultimately, though, a lot of it is signalling - both to ourselves and to each other - that we're a certain type of person. We are telling ourselves and other people that we have taste, discernment, style, disposable income and more.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rotations are overrated. What if you could only have one watch (or maybe one dressier and one sportier, if we have to stretch)? What would it (they) be?

Sportier: Nautilus 5711
Dress: ALS Lange 1 Moonphase platinum

If just one, the Nautilus, it can do double duty.

The 38mm Journe Chronometre Souverain (platinum) gives the Lange 1 MP a strong, strong run for its money.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Precision is more important than accuracy. Try checking the time each day and see how fast or slow.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ClassicStyle1950

Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Baume & Mercier with blue sapphire stem stone, and a solid back. "Post a photo, or two!"

View attachment 822544

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's the prevailing opinion on the Patek 5135J Gondolo please? I'm intrigued.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure there are lots of people that like the Royal Oak, but it does have a lot to offer and not that much competition (mostly the Patek Nautilus and the VC Overseas). However, even if there are lots of other great watches out there not getting the same admiration or attention, where is the problem. Its up to the other watches to be at least as appealing or more appealing to would be buyers.

What are one's options if one doesn't want or like the RO?

I don't think any of the other major companies really offer something that takes on the RO or Nautilus. Rolex had the 1530 (the automatic version of their Oysterquartz with integrated bracelet) but stopped making them decades ago. Nothing from Cartier, Chopard, Bvlgari, Zenith, GO, Omega, Breitling, or Panerai come to mind. I'm not saying their don't make things that are in the same price range, or that aren't nice...they just don't offer something that competes head to head with the RO.

It may not be in the same league but the Omega Constellation Manhattan born in the early 80s has a similar design language.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
What's the prevailing opinion on the Patek 5135J Gondolo please? I'm intrigued.
Personally, I think it's hideous. Just not aligned with the brand.
So you bought an aquanaut? Interesting. Do you not like the nautilus - or simply wanted something a little off-beat (in a good way)?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I already had a 5060 Aquanaut for ages, size wise it's a big small and the band was getting tight. So I traded it in. I prefer the Aquanaut to the 5711, looks-wise.

benf

Reaction score
Something about all this doesn't add up.

As far as I know, there are no "official service agents" of Patek other than those who actually work at a Patek service center. Unless your friend is one of those, he doesn't do authorized repair/service work for Patek.
There's an authorised service agent (previously Max Schweizer) for Patek in Australia, although it's switched in the past year. Max himself didn't do the service but a member of his staff did. He's previously serviced my calatrava. My understanding is that to be an authorised Patek SC, a watchmaker needs to be certified by Patek and there're multiple levels of certification. In this case, he'd service up to and including AC. All GCs are sent back to Switzerland.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_3526.JPG
IMG_5099.JPG

I hope the new brand show is not over! I was hoping for something interesting from Dino, and very happy to see some Journe in the usual sea of Rolex, PP, AP...

Anyway, B&M was already posted earlier :p I set the limit at 50 posts prior precisely to stimulate members' creativity.

Hmmm... I did post a photo of the first dress watch I bought, its back on page 455. Not sure if your comment means you missed that post, or you were hoping for something else? Anyway, here is a second entry. Perhaps it's asymmetric case will seem "interesting" to you ;) Its curved case makes it very comfortable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads