• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The second piano sonata is a blind spot for me. However, this recording of Gidon Kremer and Martha Argerich of the 2nd violin sonata is a winner in my book! It appears Argerich also has more than few recordings of the 2nd piano sonata, but I'm not familiar with them (that's where I would probably start, though...).

You think you have heard all of Argerich’s ouvre!
She is brilliance.

Mum played that piece for her Licentiate, was 13. Tremendous significance.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$15m for a driver with 1 podium in 2 years... I'd cut him too.
off topic:

What about Monza 2021?? Shouldn't that give him a pass? He just had to wait for Max to take out Hamilton and it was all his.

In all seriousness, Maclaren was right. I just like the dude.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's definitely likeable.

Back on track (no pun intended)...

Picked up a 116509 in my favourite configuration of any "on-catalogue" Daytona period yesterday at a significant discount over retail. In fact I paid less for it than I did my 116519, which I also got for what I considered and still do consider a great deal.

Now comes the hard part of deciding if I keep the one on Oysterflex or let it go.

First world problems...

Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 7.00.45 AM.png

(not my photo - the 116509 comes tomorrow)

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up a 116509 in my favourite configuration of any "on-catalogue" Daytona period yesterday at a significant discount over retail. In fact I paid less for it than I did my 116519, which I also got for what I considered and still do consider a great deal.

Now comes the hard part of deciding if I keep the one on Oysterflex or let it go.

First world problems...

View attachment 1908549

The one on the left is noticeably nicer to me. Sorry, I'm not a reference fan/expert.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been having SS endgame thoughts myself. Like trading my 5711 for a 5726. Don't love the white second- and 24-hour hands but prefer the overall bilateral symmetry. (And you can always find something to pick at right? Pretty much the whole point of this thread.)

1A-014-Nautilus-Annual-Calendar-5726-Moon-Blu-45871-1.jpg
That one just never sat well with me. I don't like the cut outs for the day and date between the PP and Geneva. I also don't like the white seconds hand, or the date cutting into the subdial at 6. My favorite Nautliuses are the 3712A/1 & its 1mm larger sibling the 5712A/1, with the 5711 being my next favorite. All the other Nautilus watches always looked like an afterthought to me. But if it puts a smile on your face go for it.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First world problems...

View attachment 1908549

Ditch the Oysterflex. Looks much better on a bracelet and too duplicative. If you really wanted to you could always put the 116509 on a rubber strap...so it further kills the need to keep the Oysterflex.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That one just never sat well with me. I don't like the cut outs for the day and date between the PP and Geneva. I also don't like the white seconds hand, or the date cutting into the subdial at 6. My favorite Nautliuses are the 3712A/1 & its 1mm larger sibling the 5712A/1, with the 5711 being my next favorite. All the other Nautilus watches always looked like an afterthought to me. But if it puts a smile on your face go for it.

For me the Nautilus has to be a time-only watch, despite the date (no-date would be even better).

Screenshot (275).png

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First world problems...

View attachment 1908549

I was about to comment but @Dino944 really summed it up well.

Ditch the Oysterflex. Looks much better on a bracelet and too duplicative. If you really wanted to you could always put the 116509 on a rubber strap...so it further kills the need to keep the Oysterflex.

I never warmed to the Oysteflex. I'm just not a fan of rubber straps so that could be the problem.

For me, nylon in the form of a NATO always seems like the better looking and more practical/useful choice than a rubber strap. Particularly on a daytona, I could almost justify the use of a rubber strap on a diver's watch but that's about it. Just preference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads