• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lot of rumors around that the current series of Daytonas are about to be discontinued. Given that hybrid electric cars now dominate the race itself, perhaps the new line should have a Rolex version of Spring Drive?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lot of rumors around that the current series of Daytonas are about to be discontinued. Given that hybrid electric cars now dominate the race itself, perhaps the new line should have a Rolex version of Spring Drive?

I won't regret them at all. Could be the chance to get back to a more puristic style.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve always appreciated that the Daytona is a smaller-ish chrono. Would be a drag to make it bigger.

To me it's chunky enough as it is.
Remove the crown guards and narrow the bezel.

curated-by-the-watch-club-rolex-daytona-paul-newman-the-insiders-secrets-ga-949.jpg

And remove all that hideous text.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I basically like every iteration of the Daytona (save oysterflex), yet have no desire to own one (pre-ceramic zenith maybe, or one of the current precious metal offerings…)

I basically don't like any recent Daytona. Would like to see a remake of that gorgeous "Paul Newman", adjusted in the mechanics and aesthetics.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of the current watches, my preferences go Overseas (too bad it's just too damn big!) >= Nautilus > RO. Essentially the opposite of yours. Agreed that the 222 is a bit hard to place here since it's a yellow metal and it's so much smaller than the current iteration of the Nautilus and the Overseas.

I've heard the old timey CRT TV line possibly hundreds of times at this point, and really it's split down the middle with whether people use it as a point of endearment or criticism. I've personally always been really fond of the elegance of all its curved lines and the incredible sleekness that the ultra thin design imparts.

The 3700 is a little more understated with how it minimizes the very design aspect that makes the Nautilus recognizable from a mile away, but it also is more faithful to Genta's original sketch. Of course, I'm not enough of a purist to think that automatically makes it better, it's just something I find interesting.
View attachment 1908083

Regarding preciousness, I think that historical pieces are inherently a little harder to wear carefree. I'd say that a vintage 222 or 3700 like the ones I tried should really be worn as steel dress watches on a bracelet for formal or special occasions only, and less so everyday watches that can be worn in most day-to-day scenarios; whereas their modern counterparts, although hardly any cheaper, are a bit easier to wear without babying, simply thanks to having more robust movements and feeling less irreplaceable.

It also bears mentioning that none of this is an endorsement of treating any of these watches, regardless of age, like a G-Shock. And completely agreed that treating a watch as a safe queen is really no different than not owning it to begin with.

As for the 3700, the other thing I do like about it more than on the 5711, is the lack of a seconds hand. I find the second hand an unnecessary addition that just adds a little more clutter to a relatively clean design. Sort of like a statement I heard about artist reaching a certain point on a painting and how and additional brush stroke could detract from the painting. Yes, I get that lots of people insist on having a seconds hand, but I suppose over the years I've gotten used to an appreciate the look of a good two handed watch.

Regarding preciousness, I think its something that people tend to over think, often based on dollar value. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't wear a Comex Submariner to go diving as tolerances or water tightness might not be what it once was even if recently serviced, or a 3700 to change brake fluid or work on a car, because there is no need to subject them to those conditions or risks. However, short of those kinds of activities, it often seems like people treat vintage or expensive watches as some delicate piece of tapestry that's 10,000 years old, and which might disintegrate in a strong wind. I'd have no problem wearing an original 222, 3700 or 5402 regularly to the office, out to dinner or something casual at a friend's place. Life is short and if you wait only for special occasions to wear something, it may rarely or never get worn as you wait for these 222 worthy occasions, and you lose out on the experience. Most possessions, unless handed down from a deceased loved one (and it's special for that reason), may be expensive to replace, but if you have insurance they can almost always be replaced.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for the 3700, the other thing I do like about it more than on the 5711, is the lack of a seconds hand. I find the second hand an unnecessary addition that just adds a little more clutter to a relatively clean design. Sort of like a statement I heard about artist reaching a certain point on a painting and how and additional brush stroke could detract from the painting. Yes, I get that lots of people insist on having a seconds hand, but I suppose over the years I've gotten used to an appreciate the look of a good two handed watch.

Regarding preciousness, I think its something that people tend to over think, often based on dollar value. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't wear a Comex Submariner to go diving as tolerances or water tightness might not be what it once was even if recently serviced, or a 3700 to change brake fluid or work on a car, because there is no need to subject them to those conditions or risks. However, short of those kinds of activities, it often seems like people treat vintage or expensive watches as some delicate piece of tapestry that's 10,000 years old, and which might disintegrate in a strong wind. I'd have no problem wearing an original 222, 3700 or 5402 regularly to the office, out to dinner or something casual at a friend's place. Life is short and if you wait only for special occasions to wear something, it may rarely or never get worn as you wait for these 222 worthy occasions, and you lose out on the experience. Most possessions, unless handed down from a deceased loved one (and it's special for that reason), may be expensive to replace, but if you have insurance they can almost always be replaced.

I do also enjoy the simplicity and essentiality of a two handed watch.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was about to comment but @Dino944 really summed it up well.

I never warmed to the Oysteflex. I'm just not a fan of rubber straps so that could be the problem.

For me, nylon in the form of a NATO always seems like the better looking and more practical/useful choice than a rubber strap. Particularly on a daytona, I could almost justify the use of a rubber strap on a diver's watch but that's about it. Just preference.
I'm not a huge fan of rubber straps, but the Oysterflex Rolex models especially don't sit well with me. I know there are people who cite Sean Connery wore a Sub on a Nato strap in Goldfinger. However, to me a Rolex without a bracelet is like buying half the watch. Something is missing. In addition, the case design of the Oysterflex models is such that you can't add a bracelet at a later date.

I do have to admit, that I do like the Cartier Santos on their ADLC intended rubber straps. They integrated the Santos design with metal accent pieces, and its a nice change from the bracelet for summer. Perhaps it also works better to my eye, because the original Santos models, the Dumont were and currently are on straps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads