• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Breguet stays - it's one I had before that I traded off and made its way back to me.
The Patek is getting sold. They are cool but just don't do anything for me.
The Benzinger I am selling too.

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-01 at 16.20.29.jpg

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, when the Nautilus, RO, and 222 were available at the same time, my order of preference was RO, 222, Nautilus. My current preference is the RO, Nautilus, Overseas (not really counting the current 222 as I don't love the champagne dial).

The Nautilus, is a nice watch, but in terms of design ever since I heard someone say it basically looks like a TV from the 1950s, I haven't been unable to see that image. Overall, I like it, but it can look a bit awkward from some angles, while the RO or the 222, look great from any angle. The 3700's charm to me is the dial and the movement being based on JLC 920. I do find the ears a tad small on the original, but to each his own. My Dad owned a tutone RO and a tutone Nautilus 3800 at the same time. Each was nice, but the RO was always the one that spoke to me.

As for whether something is too precious to wear, is something we each have to decide for ourselves. Although, I think if you have a great watch, or want one, just don't wear it for extreme activities where it will needlessly take a beating. Watches regardless of price or historic value are meant to be worn and enjoyed. Watches that sit in safes aren't really much fun, they have no stories or adventures to go with them, and no memories that make them special to the owners or their family.

Yes, a watch needs to be worn, even the most precious. Of course one would properly choose the occasions and, according to the individual feeling, take the maximum care that the beloved object would not suffer any damage, but no worries should prevent to wear any watches.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Breguet stays - it's one I had before that I traded off and made its way back to me.
The Patek is getting sold. They are cool but just don't do anything for me.
The Benzinger I am selling too.

View attachment 1907949

I’ve got $1k burning a hole in my Venmo account, let me know.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sir, stainless steel like a good boi.

I've been having SS endgame thoughts myself. Like trading my 5711 for a 5726. Don't love the white second- and 24-hour hands but prefer the overall bilateral symmetry. (And you can always find something to pick at right? Pretty much the whole point of this thread.)

1A-014-Nautilus-Annual-Calendar-5726-Moon-Blu-45871-1.jpg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been having SS endgame thoughts myself. Like trading my 5711 for a 5726. Don't love the white second- and 24-hour hands but prefer the overall bilateral symmetry. (And you can always find something to pick at right? Pretty much the whole point of this thread.)

1A-014-Nautilus-Annual-Calendar-5726-Moon-Blu-45871-1.jpg
Dont. Watch is too thick for a Nautilus

symphvaria

Reaction score
For me, when the Nautilus, RO, and 222 were available at the same time, my order of preference was RO, 222, Nautilus. My current preference is the RO, Nautilus, Overseas (not really counting the current 222 as I don't love the champagne dial).

The Nautilus, is a nice watch, but in terms of design ever since I heard someone say it basically looks like a TV from the 1950s, I haven't been unable to see that image. Overall, I like it, but it can look a bit awkward from some angles, while the RO or the 222, look great from any angle. The 3700's charm to me is the dial and the movement being based on JLC 920. I do find the ears a tad small on the original, but to each his own. My Dad owned a tutone RO and a tutone Nautilus 3800 at the same time. Each was nice, but the RO was always the one that spoke to me.

As for whether something is too precious to wear, is something we each have to decide for ourselves. Although, I think if you have a great watch, or want one, just don't wear it for extreme activities where it will needlessly take a beating. Watches regardless of price or historic value are meant to be worn and enjoyed. Watches that sit in safes aren't really much fun, they have no stories or adventures to go with them, and no memories that make them special to the owners or their family.
Of the current watches, my preferences go Overseas (too bad it's just too damn big!) >= Nautilus > RO. Essentially the opposite of yours. Agreed that the 222 is a bit hard to place here since it's a yellow metal and it's so much smaller than the current iteration of the Nautilus and the Overseas.

I've heard the old timey CRT TV line possibly hundreds of times at this point, and really it's split down the middle with whether people use it as a point of endearment or criticism. I've personally always been really fond of the elegance of all its curved lines and the incredible sleekness that the ultra thin design imparts.

The 3700 is a little more understated with how it minimizes the very design aspect that makes the Nautilus recognizable from a mile away, but it also is more faithful to Genta's original sketch. Of course, I'm not enough of a purist to think that automatically makes it better, it's just something I find interesting.
PatekPhilippeNautilus57113700-1.jpg

Regarding preciousness, I think that historical pieces are inherently a little harder to wear carefree. I'd say that a vintage 222 or 3700 like the ones I tried should really be worn as steel dress watches on a bracelet for formal or special occasions only, and less so everyday watches that can be worn in most day-to-day scenarios; whereas their modern counterparts, although hardly any cheaper, are a bit easier to wear without babying, simply thanks to having more robust movements and feeling less irreplaceable.

It also bears mentioning that none of this is an endorsement of treating any of these watches, regardless of age, like a G-Shock. And completely agreed that treating a watch as a safe queen is really no different than not owning it to begin with.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BCD7AF23-3539-4574-A739-D9DCE22291B8.jpeg

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bro, be happy you found an end game in your missus. Because an AP double balance will never be your end game. You go through watches faster than George Red.

LOL totally valid. I was like this with guitars too but eventually settled down a little :cool:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads