• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've not seen a 15202 in person but does the crown stick out more than, say a 15500? Or is it just the smaller diameter that makes it look like it sticks out more? That's what always looked off to me.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
428A3259-1058-4A8B-BF3B-8504AD3DCE26.jpeg

3EBCCB27-9D47-4124-A154-A064CAB1E2AE.jpeg

Good day for it. ?

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that I could afford a 15202, but I did some reading and discovered that the date is not quickset. WTF? It's 2020 and you can't make a watch with a thin movement and a quickset date? Seems like a fetishization of the past more than anything else.
It's a very high-grade movement, but its architecture is over half a century old. Nonetheless, I personally wouldn't let the put me off the watch; it's ridiculously nice and nothing that I've seen looks better on the wrist.

Besides, you can semi-quickset it by cycling back and forth between 10 pm and 2 am, so it's not that much of an inconvenience for what some would consider to be the nicest steel watch ever made.
So this happened:

View attachment 1405669

By “this” I don’t mean that I crashed into a fate whilst taking a wrist shot.
Nice. That's the one to have. :)

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've not seen a 15202 in person but does the crown stick out more than, say a 15500? Or is it just the smaller diameter that makes it look like it sticks out more? That's what always looked off to me.
It does stick out more. In pictures it’s pretty noticeable but in person on the wrist it’s not that noticeable.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Nice Hulk :thumbs-up:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that I could afford a 15202, but I did some reading and discovered that the date is not quickset. WTF? It's 2020 and you can't make a watch with a thin movement and a quickset date? Seems like a fetishization of the past more than anything else.

Technically, with cell phones and computers all around us, aren't most luxury watches a fetishization of the past? As @Belligero said, you can cycle it through pretty quickly going between 10 pm and 2 am repeatedly. As for it being 2020 and can't they make a watch with a quickset date? Sure they can....its called the 15500. The entire point of this watch is that it is so similar to what it was in 1972. Once you change the movement, why not add a seconds hand, change the case, the bracelet, and other elements. The movement is labor intensive to make, is still highly regarded among watchmakers, and it is the only time only movement that AP makes in the same department as their grand complications. Sure, not everyone is really that interested in what is inside the watch as long as it is well finished. The 15202 isn't for everyone, an that's why there are other ROs or other brands.

Hey Guys,

I was gifted with this vintage Piaget from my Father in Law. It used to belong to my wife's grandfather. Would anybody know a trustworthy place to get this serviced in the NYC area?
Thanks ahead of time
Congrats and enjoy it! Bring it to the Piaget boutique in NYC. I wouldn't just bring it to a random watch maker. There may be some good ones, but I've seen plenty of shoddy work from independents in the NY area.

The crown of the 15202 may stick out just a little more, or perhaps it's an optical illusion as the 15500 is larger and its crown is wider. Personally, I find it comfortable to wear and has never bothered me.

This isn't my photo, but it will give you an idea.

1592158391588.png

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think they really don't offer much for the money. Not a huge deal though as you can your cash back out of one if you don't like it quite easily. I bought mine from WatchBox and still made money flipping it when I realized it wasn't really for me. ?

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they really don't offer much for the money. Not a huge deal though as you can your cash back out of one if you don't like it quite easily. I bought mine from WatchBox and still made money flipping it when I realized it wasn't really for me. ?
Then my friend the AP RO is not for you ... Just curious what watch "offers more" in your opinion? I find the beautiful finishing on AP and especially the bracelet wonderful.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Regarding auctions, I already assumed the estimate for my target was a bit conservative, but Hodinkee and a bunch of other outlets highlighted it. :redface: no bidding wars for me.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. That's the one to have. :)

Nice Hulk :thumbs-up:

Congrats and enjoy it! Looks great! :cheers:

Cheers guys. I will say that I really do love it and I get the hype. Then again I'm attracted to color. I thought it might be overkill considering I have that olive dial Oyster Perpetual, but the greens are so different. I'll wear the Hulk in any season, but I really consider it a Spring/Summer watch to a degree. That's at odds with my preferring it in low natural light situations, and I would note that at the right angle in the right light the dial can look black and thus make the watch Kermitesque, but either way it wears well with a lot of my Spring/Summer wardrobe in the days I've had it. Speaking of color, I'm glad Rolex makes something like this too. Having the GMTs I do and then this you would think there's a sameness to them considering the general design language, and of course there is, but they all still stand out from one another based on a dial color, bezel color or even a GMT hand color believe it or not. In fact the all brushed bracelet really gives it a different look.

Regarding auctions, I already assumed the estimate for my target was a bit conservative, but Hodinkee and a bunch of other outlets highlighted it. :redface: no bidding wars for me.

Cartier or AP?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Hello folks, been a very long time for me here!

I haven't had a chance to read much of the thread but I hope it's back to its friendly, inclusive and unpretentious best...

Since I got burgled two years ago (including my father's Omega in the pic on the left), I've not much news to report on watch madness. A couple of PMW gifts from my wife, and another vintage one - Zenith this time - from my father, who has since passed. But, the obsession never dies. I'm still selling them part time at a famous store, while hopefully finishing my (boring, non fiction, don't ask) book this summer. Then, we'll see.

So, did we already talk about Watches & Wonders? Anything we love and hate? I saw a new cobalt-alloy thin one from Piaget that I like despite myself, and JLC's new Memovox is back to their understated best I think. Not so keen on their triple calendar chrono...seems like a useles mish mash to appeal visually to the kidz...

This is not subtle, but I like it when Piaget go full quirky:

1592408495738.png

I had a chance to handle these two earlier in the year along with the rest of the new Masters. These are definitely the pick of the bunch IMHO. I am a sucker for blue dials, and the Memovox Timer is a real looker. But, to be quite honest I found the actual function to be fiddly and difficult to use with my ol' eyes. I do love the look, and it's a very unusual function.

1592408834596.png

But, the vanilla non-limited version is just perfect as it is, as well as about 30% less expensive. Strap is lovely in the flesh too. The simple arrow on the centre disk, traditional to the Memovox since the 1956 original, is just fine.
1592408946799.png

I didn't actually pay much attention to W&W with all that was going on, and just focused on these as I'd had a preview. The Piaget was honestly the only other thing that leapt out at me, even though it's the kind of skeleton novelty that normall leaves me cold.

Hope you're all doing well. :)

Last edited:

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally moved back in to the house and got our jewelry and watches back. I appear to have misplaced my 114300 OP in the process. Looked all over the house for it yesterday. Hoping it shows up somewhere I haven’t looked yet.

Doubt it was stolen because I recall putting it in the same place as my Louis Cartier Tank which also had many more pieces of my wife’s jewelry worth significantly more than my OP. Just miss the watch.

Been wearing my bronze IWC x The Rake more and more often on the olive green NATO strap. Tarnishing quite nicely

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello folks, been a very long time for me here!

I haven't had a chance to read much of the thread but I hope it's back to its friendly, inclusive and unpretentious best...

Since I got burgled two years ago (including my father's Omega in the pic on the left), I've not much news to report on watch madness. A couple of PMW gifts from my wife, and another vintage one - Zenith this time - from my father, who has since passed. But, the obsession never dies. I'm still selling them part time at a famous store, while hopefully finishing my (boring, non fiction, don't ask) book this summer. Then, we'll see.

So, did we already talk about Watches & Wonders? Anything we love and hate? I saw a new cobalt-alloy thin one from Piaget that I like despite myself, and JLC's new Memovox is back to their understated best I think. Not so keen on their triple calendar chrono...seems like a useles mish mash to appeal visually to the kidz...

This is not subtle, but I like it when Piaget go full quirky:

View attachment 1407627

I had a chance to handle these two earlier in the year along with the rest of the new Masters. These are definitely the pick of the bunch IMHO. I am a sucker for blue dials, and the Memovox Timer is a real looker. But, to be quite honest I found the actual function to be fiddly and difficult to use with my ol' eyes. I do love the look, and it's a very unusual function.

Hope you're all doing well. :)

Welcome back Mimo! Sorry to hear that some of your watches were stolen! That's really sad, especially since you can't go and replace things that were from your dad.

Glad you are doing ok. I love Piaget watches. They are often overlooked, but they are really very cool, very elegant, and they make great quality pieces. I hope to add one to my collection some day. Cheers!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads