• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread

JL3212

Reaction score
Quote:
I have the predecessor to the Deacon. I'm insanely impressed with how they've held up after more than 2 years of wear and they're my go to boots right behind my Aldens.

I think I'm going to buy both the Deacon and the Gunner as a christmas gift to myself. You can get them in store for around $35 per pair once spring rolls around and they're putting all winter stuff on clearance (at least 2 years ago you could). One could easily argue that you get the most bang for your buck out of these over any other boot produced. ever.

For the price I'm not expecting much, in terms of comfort, how is the footbed after wearing for a while? Is the inside of the shoe leather all the way through or is it a different material?

Probably will hold off until spring if I buy.

wsupjs

Reaction score
The Camlin (Deacon's predecessor) had a foam insole, but was very comfortable.

Does the Deacon have the sizing issues of the Camlin? I had to buy my Camlins almost a full size down, but everything else about them blew me away at that price point (I paid $40).

JL3212

Reaction score
The Camlin (Deacon's predecessor) had a foam insole, but was very comfortable.

Does the Deacon have the sizing issues of the Camlin? I had to buy my Camlins almost a full size down, but everything else about them blew me away at that price point (I paid $40).

Thanks!

cdgreg

Reaction score

Lovely, thank you!

When does this happen? Should I just look out for normal sales or what?
biggrin.gif

Thirty-five sounds good bet. For the hundred retail, I would either go for a good used pair, or something like Zara, maybe -- quality in doubt, but more relevant details.

Black Friday and Cyber Monday are right around the corner, I'm crossing my fingers. I have no interest in spending $100 on a pair, but will definitely spend $50 instantly.

Personally, I want them for the snowy NY winter, so waiting for Spring to save an extra $15 per pair is counter productive if you share this buying purpose. I tried the "rubbers" last year, but a couple days per week I am at various sites throughout the day and finding a spot for my wet rubbers is just awkward.

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What @wsupjs said :)

When does this happen? Should I just look out for normal sales or what? :D

Thirty-five sounds good bet. For the hundred retail, I would either go for a good used pair, or something like Zara, maybe -- quality in doubt, but more relevant details.

I believe. It was around beginning of April, so if you're not in a hurry that is the safest bet. But then again you're missing the main season to wear boots.

From what I've read, the deacon doesn't have the same sizing issues as the Camlin (I sized down a full size as well) but I can't speak from experience. I want to stop by JC Penney today and check it out.

You guys won't be disappointed at the price point, I guarantee it. *mens warehouse actor voice*

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time to get this thread a little more back on track.

Bought this for my dad hoping it would fit him, but it's too big. Going on eBay tomorrow, so contact me before then if interested.

Barbour Border Jacket with polar quilt vest. Size 46 or XXL

Item​
Barbour Border w/ polar quilt vest
P2P​
27​
Waist/Width​
S2S​
21​
Inseam​
Length​
35.75​
Rise​
Sleeve​
24.75​
Cuff​
Vent​
-
Pleats​
Characteristics​
coorduroy collar, throat latch, polar quilt vest, vented pits, double zipper
Material​
outer 100% waxed cotton, 100% cotton
Style​

Made In​
England
More Info​
the original barbour tartan", missing hood
Size​
XXL (vest) 46C

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this talk about these boots has sparked my interest,..anyone with w wider feet purchased them yet? I run into problems in width, and curious if they are forgiving a bit.

I guess I can bite the bullet and walk into one. I always hated that store.

costanaconda

Reaction score
Wanting to trade two blazers that are unfortunately too big for me. Looking for a 38R/L navy sport coat/blazer of similar quality.

1) Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Navy Hopsack Loro Piana Wool 2/3 Sport Coat 39L.
Beautiful vintage Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece sportcoat made of Loro Piana Super 130s pure wool navy blue hopsack fabric size 39L. This is the classic American sportcoat with a single vent in the rear, 2/3 button roll, gentle lapel fold, and lightly padded natural shoulders. Brooks Brothers did a good job with this jacket. It's light and comfy, perfect for being at leisure outdoors. Jacket is worn, but in very good condition with no holes or tears.​

Measurements:
Chest: 21”
Waist: 19”
Shoulders: 18.5”
Length: 32.25”
Sleeves: 24.75”

2) Hart Schaffner & Marx -- Navy blazer with contrasting buttons. Fits closest to a 38L. "Designed by Christian Dior." Nice basic navy blazer with 2 buttons, center vent.

Measurements:
Chest 21.25"
Waist: 19.25"
Shoulders: 17.75"
Length: 31.75"
Sleeve Length 25"

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

How about this.

Looking for a topcoat, cashmere or cashmere blend preferred, but if it's nice, I'll take pure wool. Size 40-41. Charcoal, Black, Camel, or Navy in that order. Single breast preferred. I'd like to pay between $50-$100, but I could go a bit higher if it's particularly nice. Nothing longer than 40" from the bottom of the collar. Notch lapels preferred as well. Desired measurements would be around 18.5-19.5" shoulder, 22-23 inches in the chest, 25-26 inches in the sleeve, 20-22 inches in the waist, 36-40 inches in length. If it's close to these, i'll give it a shot.

Also, I've got the following for trade, if you'd prefer. I'd be willing to trade one or more of these for the right coat. They're all right around the same size except for the Saks jacket which is a bit smaller. I'm going to put all these up on eBay tonight, but I'm happy to pull them down if you've got something.

This is the badass. Cortefiel, made in Spain, Size 42, pure pimp and heavy as ****, center vent. EDIT: I checked this one out on eBay. As it is vintage Cortefield, it's actually quite desirable, better quality than their newer stuff. They are selling for upwards of $100.

Pit to Pit: 24
Sholder Seem to Cuff: 25.75
Material Under Cuff: 2.5
Across Shoulders: 19.5
Across Waist: 22.5
Bottom of Collar to Tail: 38

Pendleton herringbone Donnegal tweed, size 42 Mac, no vent (SOLD)

Pit to Pit: 24.5
Sholder Seem to Cuff:25
Material Under Cuff: 2.5
Across Shoulders: 19
Across Waist: 24.5
Bottom of Collar to Tail: 38.5

Saks 100% Cashmere, navy blue, longer, falls below my knees, measures somewhere around a 40, couple small defects, but overall a great peace (tiny amount of fraying on each cuff (unnoticeable unless you are looking for it, and the vent is starting to come undone from the inside)

Pit to Pit: 22.5
Sholder Seem to Cuff: 26
Material Under Cuff: 2
Across Shoulders: 19
Across Waist: 22
Bottom of Collar to Tail: 46.5

Vintage Pendleton farm coat, Large, unlined, probably around a 42-44, excellent condition. Actually got this one from someone here, but I don't think it's going to work for me. Very nice though, and super cool.

Pit to Pit: 26
Sholder Seem to Cuff: 25
Material Under Cuff: na
Across Shoulders: 20.5
Across Waist: 25
Bottom of Collar to Tail: 31

cdgreg

Reaction score
Similar to what @Koala-T said, I'm also looking for a staple topcoat. Ideal measurements are Shoulders 20.5-21", Chest 25", Sleeve 26.5", Overall Length less than 40". Fabric - something other than the traditional black wool, it collects dog hair like a SOB.

I thrifted a true vintage 100% Cashmere black top coat that I swear weighs at least 10 lb, but the chest is 26.5" so it looks friggin huge. I'm going to see if my tailor can do anything, otherwise I'll toss it up here for trade for the winter season.

Last edited:

namdaemun

Reaction score
Similar to what @Koala-T said, I'm also looking for a staple topcoat. Ideal measurements are Shoulders 20.5-21", Chest 25", Sleeve 26.5", Overall Length less than 40". Fabric - something other than the traditional black wool, it collects dog hair like a SOB.

I thrifted a true vintage 100% Cashmere black top coat that I swear weighs at least 10 lb, but the chest is 26.5" so it looks friggin huge. I'm going to see if my tailor can do anything, otherwise I'll toss it up here for trade for the winter season.
tailoring a top coat is very expensive

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics