• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread

ReubenR

Reaction score
KdCLHOHl.jpg

SfETwWtl.jpg

hZPOv3hl.jpg

So, I wish I could make the sleeves work on this one because it's an absolute beauty and a near-perfect fit everywhere else. Norman Hilton 3/2 sack suit, 3-button cuffs, natural shoulders, half-lined, hooked vent and flat-front trousers with a 1.75" cuff. I can't find anything wrong with it either, no wear or fraying at all. Tagged a 46L but measures more like a 44-45ML.

Jacket:
Pit-to-Pit: 23.5
Shoulders: 18.5
Sleeves: 24" plus maybe 1.25", 1.5" at the absolute most.
sad.png

Length: 32" from bottom of collar

Trousers:
Waist: 40.5" (plus 1" to let)
Outseam: 42.75"
Inseam: 31.25" (plus 1.75" cuffs and 2" of extra fabric)
Rise: 11.5"

Willing to consider trades for ~44-43L(ish) jackets, 16.5-36 shirts, ~35-30 pants, ~10C shoes, and bow ties.

cdgreg

Reaction score
Ya, I'm quite intrigued. Truthfully probably higher quality leather than a number of my normal shoes. My wife and I have a child free day on Sunday, maybe we'll head to JCPennys. I shall report back...

Went to JC Penny's today to try on the boots...

I'm normally an 11, but a 10.5 was a better fit on both the brown wingtips and the black cap toe. This is consistent with the online reviews that say size down half a size. There is a two day sale today and tomorrow with an extra 15% off if you use SAVEBIG promo code assuming your size is still available online coming out to around $52.99 per pair. I liked the black cap toe more than the brown wingtip, but both would be a reliable beater for the winter for the price.

I honestly can't remember the last time I've been in a retail store with the exception of Target or a grocery store, the customer service, while physically there, was atrocious. I first asked the shoe department employee to show me where the wing tip and cap toe mens boots were, she didn't know. Once I found them both 4 seconds later (in plain sight) I asked for an 11 in each. She said why do I need 11 in both, they are the same boot in different colors. I then pointed out one is a cap toe, one is a wing tip, and I'm not sure if they're cut differently, she was surprised to see they were indeed different. While trying them on, I was mentioning to my wife how I was glad they had a rubber sole rather than traditional leather sole for a bit of extra grip in the snow. The saleswoman appeared almost offended, and told me I should not wear those in the snow. Next, I was stuck between 11 and 10.5 as the 11 was too loose, but the 10.5 was a bit snug. The saleswoman once again appeared annoyed and scoffed, "well what size are you normally?!?" I held back from explaining my preferred insole measurement ranges from 11.75 to 12" based on whether the shoe is a loafer or more traditional dress shoe with a standard 4.25" preferred width. Last, but not least, I saw a sign that said all $99.99 dress shoes on sale for $52.99. I said oh, that's great, does that include these dress style boots? She informed me that the boots are not considered dress shoes. I asked her to check anyways, low and behold, on sale for $52.99!

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOLZ at a clothing snobs schooling a sales rep at JCP...

dappercanadian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone is able to proxy the Deacons in a 10 for me, it would be greatly appreciated! Sold out online, none on eBay, and no JCP up in Canada :(

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Time to get this thread a little more back on track. Bought this for my dad hoping it would fit him, but it's too big. Going on eBay tomorrow, so contact me before then if interested. Barbour Border Jacket with polar quilt vest. Size 46 or XXL
Item​
Barbour Border w/ polar quilt vest
P2P​
27​
Waist/Width​
S2S​
21​
Inseam​
Length​
35.75​
Rise​
Sleeve​
24.75​
Cuff​
Vent​
-
Pleats​
Characteristics​
coorduroy collar, throat latch, polar quilt vest, vented pits, double zipper
Material​
outer 100% waxed cotton, 100% cotton
Style​

Made In​
England
More Info​
the original barbour tartan", missing hood
Size​
XXL (vest) 46C
Dalton....FYI you are not missing the hood. Barbour sell them separate. If you list this on the the bay don't want you to ding yourself.

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOLZ at a clothing snobs schooling a sales rep at JCP...

This

Not to derail but it's not nordstroms
They get paid minimum wage .
What is a beater to you is an expensive shoe to most people
Our perception is skewed because we are aficionados

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:rotflmao: This, this is a blucher, and that -- that is a BAL-MORAL, you BAL-MORON!

Aficionados may be too kind. We might be obsessives. I notice even when I do go into a nicer store, I feel like an idiot asking for things like hem sizes and so on, because they never know what I'm talking about. Such is the danger of the internets.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member