• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rc121

Reaction score
I would consider the 3 eyelet derby on U last in a darker color like oxblood or dark brown. I think it's a versatile shoe and you'd get more use out of it after your wedding.

vass-threeeyeletlondon1_1024x1024.jpg

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would consider the 3 eyelet derby on U last in a darker color like oxblood or dark brown. I think it's a versatile shoe and you'd get more use out of it after your wedding.

vass-threeeyeletlondon1_1024x1024.jpg

Derby would be nice for daily use, while i have some concern of whether i could lace it well on my really shallow feet. Afair read from shoesnob that derby might not be best pick for low instep person?

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 - Will anyone at your wedding or you care if you don't wear a proper "formal" black shoe? More importantly, do you and your wife care? Forget everyone else.. this is your day. If you want a suede wholecut, do it.

2 - You will get more use out of another colour aside from black, regardless of the design you choose.

I like the 3 eye U last derby suggestion as well.
I would first finalize your suit/tux choice, and try to find a compromise on footwear to get more use beyond the "1 day/formal days".

It you go with a Navy 2 or 3 pc. suit, your options are abundant.

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1 - Will anyone at your wedding or you care if you don't wear a proper "formal" black shoe?  More importantly, do you and your wife care?  Forget everyone else.. this is your day.  If you want a suede wholecut, do it.  

2 - You will get more use out of another colour aside from black, regardless of the design you choose.  

I like the 3 eye U last derby suggestion as well.  
I would first finalize your suit/tux choice, and try to find a compromise on footwear to get more use beyond the "1 day/formal days". 

It you go with a Navy 2 or 3 pc. suit, your options are abundant.

My gratitude to guides. I have probably zero knowledge to suit and matching since my last tailor made one was done some 13yrs ago, just for University presentations and everything cutting design was suggested by the old local tailor.

Navy 2pcs mostly as black dont fit well over my slender shape, the dark velvet is... too exaggerated.

If you guys wont mind, here's the studio shots taken last year. By the time my single pair of leather shoes was one from secondary school - a Clarks general shoe.

So, the choice of outfit will be on my own, and I prefer something beyond black as I often wear tan colored boots.

Last edited:

SteveL91

Reaction score

It's less so coordinating outfits than matching the formality of the shoe. Most wholecuts are going to look a bit odd (note: this only applies to SF and a select few in real life...most will think nothing of it) when paired with a very casual look like jeans and a polo.

Enzo Bonafe via Skoak has, or had, a very awesome brown wholecut that skewed a bit casual thanks to the natural colored sole.

Sorry to take the conversation away from Vass specifically, but how do you decide how casual you can go with more formal shoes? For example, would you pair an oxford with chinos, or just more formal trousers? Does your decision change based on the color/design features? I'm assuming a wingtip could be dressed down more easily than a cap toe, but I don't really have a good feel for limits/guidelines. What about something like a balmoral boot? My job doesn't require much more than business casual, so I rarely wear a full suit, but I do end up wearing trousers/sport coat in lieu of chinos/button down with some regularity.

Thanks,
Steve

ktown

Reaction score
Sorry to take the conversation away from Vass specifically, but how do you decide how casual you can go with more formal shoes? For example, would you pair an oxford with chinos, or just more formal trousers? Does your decision change based on the color/design features? I'm assuming a wingtip could be dressed down more easily than a cap toe, but I don't really have a good feel for limits/guidelines. What about something like a balmoral boot? My job doesn't require much more than business casual, so I rarely wear a full suit, but I do end up wearing trousers/sport coat in lieu of chinos/button down with some regularity.

Thanks,
Steve

I'm guessing the overwhelming forum response would be to never wear balmorals with jeans or chinos. In fact the rules dictate you should only wear oxfords with suits only, not even just wool trousers with a sport coat.

My personal preference is to wear oxfords with anything from a suit down to jeans. But this depends on the style of the oxford and the overall look of my clothing. If I'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt, of course I won't wear oxfords. But if they are dark denim or chinos with a collared button shirt tucked in and my whole profile is slim, I won't mind wearing bals. Also, casual details on an oxford help dress them down (wingtip, broguing, brown instead of black, etc). I wouldn't wear black oxfords with jeans or chinos ever.

I wouldn't wear derbies with a suit either and that matches the forum rules. Overall in my opinion it just depends on your own personal style, the overall look of the outfit, the style of shoes, etc.

Nobody except internet clothing forum nerds like us know these rules and they don't care. I see plenty of examples everyday of violations of the sacred style rules, and many times the outfit looks good and works.

Now to get the thread back to Vass... here's a pic I took of me wearing chinos with my new monks.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steve,

I'm sure you'll get responses here, but I'll recuse myself...I personally don't feel comfortable wearing any dress shoe with jeans/chinos. I"ll wear loafers with shorts, but that's it.

That said, I'd wear any sort of dress shoe/boot (including loafers) with a suit.

It's really all about determining what feels right for you. In the real world, few, if any, will care about the type of shoe you're wearing. I've found far more people (in Los Angeles, at least) to care more about how much you paid for a pair than what that pair actually looks like.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry to take the conversation away from Vass specifically, but how do you decide how casual you can go with more formal shoes?

I'm guessing the overwhelming forum response would be to never wear balmorals with jeans or chinos. In fact the rules dictate you should only wear oxfords with suits only, not even just wool trousers with a sport coat.

I personally don't feel comfortable wearing any dress shoe with jeans/chinos. I"ll wear loafers with shorts, but that's it.

That said, I'd wear any sort of dress shoe/boot (including loafers) with a suit.

For me it's all just a sliding formality scale. I'll never wear bals with jeans or chinos, but I will wear bals with wool trousers, either with a SC or without. It's all where I feel like on the formality scale. Bals with wool trousers are obviously more formal than derbies. It's obviously a well-established Trad thing, but loafers with suits make no sense to me.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Derby would be nice for daily use, while i have some concern of whether i could lace it well on my really shallow feet. Afair read from shoesnob that derby might not be best pick for low instep person?

The derby is great for low and high arches. That design is much less sensitive than a balmoral. With that said, I don't care for that three hole derby. It's like a shoe/chukka hybrid and I tend to have trouble with chukkas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads