• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair in Red Cognac and I do love them - but I don't find it to be a particularly versatile shade.  Certainly less so than Bordeaux or Oxblood (which I also have).  Red cognac is hard to peg - kind off an odd mix of red, brown and orange that is quite unique.

Now, less versatile does not mean that it isn't wearable - it's just the type of shade I would recommend as an addition to a well established rotation as opposed to someone just building their rotation.  Once you are past a certain number of pairs, versatility in each additional pair is less relevant as you will have ample versatility within the totality of your rotation.  You are certainly past that point.

orig.jpg

Those are lovely sir & thank you for your input will have to add them for sure :D

cezinho

Reaction score

cezinho

Reaction score
My new Vass shoes :

anzo

Reaction score

Sunday pics: For your viewing pleasure; Vass Theresian Derby in Red Cognac on the K Last
Those are very nice indeed Andrei, you have a lot of rarely seen variants. That stitching on the heel is exquisite! And I have never seen a painted waist on a pair of Vass'; is that made by Ascot also (as is the burnishing)?

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two new arrivals from Budapest late this past week. I ordered these in person in mid-August. Very pleased with the service and with the shoes!

Pair #1: U last, Antic Cognac Calf, Old English II with v-cap, painted beveled waist, single sole, rubber toe tap.

Pair #2: P2 last, Antic Cognac Cordovan, galosh oxford with medallion, double to single (HAF) sole, rubber toe tap.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats, my man! Those are two fine-looking shoes! I love the painted beveled sole. Didn't realize they would still do that!

Would you consider the antic cognac cordovan closer in color to cigar or AE brown (dark cognac)?

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats, my man! Those are two fine-looking shoes! I love the painted beveled sole. Didn't realize they would still do that!

Thank you!

My impression while I was at Vass was that they will do pretty much anything that the customer wants. It's a great policy.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JSO1
nice oxfords! Does the P2 golosh oxford fit the same as the P2 derbies?

Also, does anyone have experience with ordering from ascot shoes in the US? I ordered a pair, and asked for Royal Mail shipping but they've shipped by DHL. Should I expect a giant bill for duties and fees from DHL? (never received anything through DHL, and heard horror stories of DHL's miscategorization from the cusotms thread, so I'm kinda worried)

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

@JSO1

nice oxfords! Does the P2 golosh oxford fit the same as the P2 derbies?

Also, does anyone have experience with ordering from ascot shoes in the US? I ordered a pair, and asked for Royal Mail shipping but they've shipped by DHL. Should I expect a giant bill for duties and fees from DHL? (never received anything through DHL, and heard horror stories of DHL's miscategorization from the cusotms thread, so I'm kinda worried)

I've gotten painful customs bills from DHL.

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
DHL recently charged me $80 on a $220 order (Sam Hober Ties), although I'm in Canada which is probably a different scenario than being in the U.S. Still, DHL does have a rep for high charges.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DHL recently charged me $80 on a $220 order (Sam Hober Ties), although I'm in Canada which is probably a different scenario than being in the U.S. Still, DHL does have a rep for high charges.

+1 for the US as well. Recently, I noticed that they have made many errors in calculating customs charges for multiple shipments, all in the favor of the US government. I had all of these reversed, so it pays to review their calculations.

benjamin8451

Reaction score
DHL is notorious.... It's better off that the shipper includes custom fees in the price. Otherwise, it is a pain **********.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads