1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Saratorial_Splender

Saratorial_Splender Well-Known Member

Me too. This adds another 10% to my cost. Wire transfers are expensive. I am not sure why they can't process credit/ debit cards.

2. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Well-Known Member

I was informed that you also had to bear the costs of the bank transfer on their side also when they receive the money.

3. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Not sure what that means, but I had to bear it on mine and hope they don't expect me to pay their costs as well.

4. terrorsquad

Sorry, I typed something confusing. Was busy doing something. But yes, they expect you to also pay the cost on their side also. At least that's what they told me and I had to do.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  5. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    VASS should start taking Visa/MC and add 3% service charge on top, that would have been cheaper to everyone than ridiculous business of wire transfers that still (in 21Century) requires you to fax papers or appear at the bank in person.
    No one yet mentioned that when you pay $45.00 for international transfer your lovely bank fucks you on exchange rate, so in actuality you end up paying around 60.00 for the whole thing.
    /rant :embar:

6. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

I have Vass USD Account, so it was a straight $45.

And how are we to calculate what it costs them on their side...damn Hungarians!!!

7. terrorsquad

I hope Mr Vass doesn't lurk around and read this. He may suddenly decide to hike up the price by another 100 euros after reading your comments [​IMG]

8. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Can we get some more pictures up here of these beautiful shoes? I want some pictures of them in the wild.

Even with an increase, they are still cheaper than my JL or EG shoes, not that I am advocating an increase.

9. rikod

rikod Well-Known Member

Absolutely true, very easy to do it online, specially once the payee is set up.

This is also true, I forgot that part. Mine charges $35 + they do fuck you a little bit on the rate.

10. ncdobson

ncdobson Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about ordering my 1st pair. I'd like a scotchgrain NST. I get the impression that the usual last for that shoe would be the Peter or New Peter. Would it be heretical or hideous to go with the 3636 or Budapest last?

11. bigasahouse

bigasahouse Well-Known Member

How about 47? Please!

12. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

I got the Antik Cognac Norweger in 3636 because I can't fit into the Peter. 3636 is considerably wider where it counts for me. It looks more or less the same as the Peter-- which is to say, lovely in this application. :)

Vass's website has a pic of NST in the Budapester last. In the right setting (or on the correct foot), that could be very useful as well.

13. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

Incidentally, the Vass website has a whole batch of new designs. Most won't survive the scrutiny of time, although it's interesting that they now offer sharkskin.

14. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

only because US banks cannot handle international standards, don't blame VASS, please. ty.

15. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

all of them are "good". really depends on your measurements, imo.

16. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Well-Known Member

The sharkskin is interesting. Unlike other examples I've seen before.

17. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

special makeup, imo. special request. by default RTW ends at EU 45/46.

18. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Wow - there are some stinkers in that batch, 121, 135 and 138 in particular don't do it for me.

Conversely there are also some to love - 128, 129, 132 and 134 would be welcome to come live at my house. :D (although I doubt some of the particular lasts would work for my narrowish foot.)

19. Saratorial_Splender

2nd that. I am a 47 and Vass made me some on the U last, but the 4 pairs are all different fit.

20. Saratorial_Splender

Why, 10-12% of men in teh wetern hemesphere have size 13 (47). I think it is economics, less material to make smaller sizes. These defaults were put in place in 1920s - 1930s, when the average shoe size was 7.5, now the average is 9.5. Perhaps we need new defaults.