• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for input on VASS F sizing. I have a normal to wide foot. CJ 341 last I can take a 8.5UK snug. Carmina rain last UK9. Branock around 10.5

I am thinking size 43 may do the trick. Thoughts?

If truly a 10.5 Brannock, I'd start with 43.5 first. The UK9 Rain must also be snug? Not sure how you fit in a 8.5 CJ. Maybe you're closer to a Brannock 10.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you sure about your brannock and/or c&j size? Two sizes down seems crazy. My one size down c&j's are easily the smallest shoes I own.

Dude my brannock sizing is 11USA and this size shoes are huge on me. Most usa shoes I fit in are 9.5 or 10 just depending upon brand & last. So it's not all that crazy to go two size down. In my humble opinion & SA at Nordstrom also said this. Those measuring devices are out dated & not properly callaberated.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dude my brannock sizing is 11USA and this size shoes are huge on me. Most usa shoes I fit in are 9.5 or 10 just depending upon brand & last. So it's not all that crazy to go two size down. In my humble opinion & SA at Nordstrom also said this. Those measuring devices are out dated & not properly callaberated.
I take my brannock size in every normal fitting last, sold by AE or Alden. When I don't, I take one half size down. I'm not talking about the brannock arch length measure, just overall length.

What last do you take at minus 1.5?

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I take my brannock size in every normal fitting last, sold by AE or Alden. When I don't, I take one half size down. I'm not talking about the brannock arch length measure, just overall length.

What last do you take at minus 1.5?

I take 9.5 on AE park aveanue good snug fit & strand both on 5 last.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Weird. I take a 7.5b in that last, the same as my brannock. A 7 was too short in a narrow width.

Honestly I just had my brannock remeasured yesterday again because I thought this is nuts. But nope same result size 11 according to that & D aka medium width. Was done by SA at Nordstrom & again tried on size 11 shoes. They were too big it was not even funny.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly I just had my brannock remeasured yesterday again because I thought this is nuts. But nope same result size 11 according to that & D aka medium width. Was done by SA at Nordstrom & again tried on size 11 shoes. They were too big it was not even funny.
I actually own my own brannock!

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
came across this listing of the p2 longwing from nmwa (great reference pics btw) when it triggered a memory of the new vass smell

:inlove:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did they also measure your arch length and do they understand what it means? Heel to ball measurement is much more important than heel to toe.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well honestly I have no clue how competent the guy was he told me to stand on the scale he looked at it while standing up & gave me round about around size 11. I could be wrong but as a shoe SA he should know about all this. Specially if you are working at Nordstrom shoe department. Or be able to help a person out. My gf ended up getting Nike 5.0 so I didn't feel like I wasted his time. But honest I am not really sure if he knew all that or not.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's also quite common to have feet that have 1/2 size difference in a Brannock. My right foot is 1/2 larger than my left on a Brannock. Always be conscious of which is your stronger foot when trying new shoes (often means either opting for one shoe that's slightly loose or one that's slight tight).

Also be mindful of what point of the day you try shoes on - feet are larger in the evening than in the morning, so if a shoe is a big snug at night, it may be the right size ; if snug in the morning, it will get worse over the day.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's also quite common to have feet that have 1/2 size difference in a Brannock. My right foot is 1/2 larger than my left on a Brannock. Always be conscious of which is your stronger foot when trying new shoes (often means either opting for one shoe that's slightly loose or one that's slight tight).

Also be mindful of what point of the day you try shoes on - feet are larger in the evening than in the morning, so if a shoe is a big snug at night, it may be the right size ; if snug in the morning, it will get worse over the day.

Thank you for your input.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads