• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
The more important question is which one of them is available to you.

As to experience, I believe Jerrybrown has shoes from all three so he could give you a better account.

AFAIK, he said JLSJ makes the most comfortable shoes but a bit less refined.

I like JLP over G&G but gawd it's expensive.
I believe all three of them are available to me (NY area, and I visit London with semi-regularity). I like JLP too, but I can't tell if they make visits to NY.

If you like the G & G and Cleverley aesthetic I would choose Foster and Son or JLP over JLSJ.
I'll look into them—thanks. Hopefully they visit NY (website just says US twice a year).

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll look into them—thanks. Hopefully they visit NY (website just says US twice a year).

Fosters usually go to NY twice a year, most of us do in the spring and fall/autumn. You've just narrowly missed the first trip this year, unfortunately. I think GG are heading over soon though.

Last edited:

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my gator
pt1.

2q2464w.jpg

2j33akw.jpg

66mfrl.jpg

2w7h7yv.jpg

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
JLP offers bespoke at their NYC store.

I'll third Foster. From what I have seen, they are sublime.

Fosters usually go to NY twice a year, most of us do in the spring and fall/autumn. You've just narrowly missed the first trip this year, unfortunately. I think GG are heading over soon though.
Well, looks like my wallet is about to get even thinner, as I might have to now try four makers. How much more expensive is JLP over the other three? Also, is there a particular style of shoe that Foster does particularly well?

Tony Montana

Reaction score
Last edited:

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
You might want to add Nicholas Templeman to your list (or just go and see him instead of JLSJ)
smile.gif
Yeah, I kinda moved away from JLSJ anyway, especially since JLP has a shop in NY. According to Templeman's website, he mostly travels to France and Belgium, though, so unless he comes to the US regularly, it might be a no-go from the start.

Shame, his shoes look really good...

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be sure to update that travel page as soon as I'm at my computer, I didn't realise it was so misleading!

I'm coming to the U.S. Later this autumn, probably October or so, and will try to make it over 2-3 times a year.

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
I'll be sure to update that travel page as soon as I'm at my computer, I didn't realise it was so misleading!

I'm coming to the U.S. Later this autumn, probably October or so, and will try to make it over 2-3 times a year.
Upon further research, I think I'll give you first crack at me... I'm starting to think maybe I won't have to try four different places, after all
smile.gif
. (EDIT: unless prices are like twice as much as the next guy, which I doubt
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
) How long ago did you split from JL and go off on your own? I'm just asking because I'm amazed I haven't come across you before, unless you set up shop very recently.

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Upon further research, I think I'll give you first crack at me... I'm starting to think maybe I won't have to try four different places, after all :) . (EDIT: unless prices are like twice as much as the next guy, which I doubt
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
) How long ago did you split from JL and go off on your own? I'm just asking because I'm amazed I haven't come across you before, unless you set up shop very recently.

he set up shop very recently

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I left Lobb last November and enjoyed a little family time before building my workshop and throwing myself into the thick of it, which is why my showcase is a bit bare at the moment - I'm fitting the making of sample shoes in around customer work which takes priority. I have a few more nearly completed to post up very soon though.

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
I left Lobb last November and enjoyed a little family time before building my workshop and throwing myself into the thick of it, which is why my showcase is a bit bare at the moment - I'm fitting the making of sample shoes in around customer work which takes priority. I have a few more nearly completed to post up very soon though.
have you thought of starting an "Official Nicholas Templeman Bespoke Shoemaker" thread here on SF? Might be a good way to show off those sample shoes (and/or for clients to post their own pictures) or whatever else you want to share, in addition to posting them on your website or wherever else you want.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

have you thought of starting an "Official Nicholas Templeman Bespoke Shoemaker" thread here on SF? Might be a good way to show off those sample shoes (and/or for clients to post their own pictures) or whatever else you want to share, in addition to posting them on your website or wherever else you want.

And pay exorbitant amount of money?

Shoemakers aren't that lucrative and this thread is plenty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads