• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My second pair from Maftei, a 3-eyelet derby with floating medallion, with hand painted crust calf and lizard facings. Had the back seam placed on the inside to keep the clean feel over the back area. Also wanted the same type of patina as my first pair with toe and heel in a lighter shade, although these are in burgundy/chestnut instead of brown. Very pleased with them!

Jakezero

Reaction score

My second pair from Maftei, a 3-eyelet derby with floating medallion, with hand painted crust calf and lizard facings. Had the back seam placed on the inside to keep the clean feel over the back area. Also wanted the same type of patina as my first pair with toe and heel in a lighter shade, although these are in burgundy/chestnut instead of brown. Very pleased with them!

I was wondering when we would be seeing those, as your fitting was right after mine. Forgive me for asking, but were there any issues with your order, seeing as you received yours several months after I received mine?

I also like the back (now side) seam placement, I've thought of doing something similar for my next pair if I end up going with shoes rather than boots.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Delightful J Ing, delightful
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Those are very nice. Not my favorite brand but they sure do look good. Enjoy!

I was wondering when we would be seeing those, as your fitting was right after mine. Forgive me for asking, but were there any issues with your order, seeing as you received yours several months after I received mine?

I also like the back (now side) seam placement, I've thought of doing something similar for my next pair if I end up going with shoes rather than boots.

Thank you very much guys!

Jakezero: Yes exactly, they made a mistake at the end of the manufacturing process of the first pair, so they remade them from scratch. Was no problems for me to wait a while longer.
You should take the leap and try shoes now! :)

Jakezero

Reaction score

Jakezero: Yes exactly, they made a mistake at the end of the manufacturing process of the first pair, so they remade them from scratch. Was no problems for me to wait a while longer.
You should take the leap and try shoes now! :)

I suspected that might have been the case. I'd love to order a pair of shoes right away, but I'll probably have to buy and furnish an apartment in the next few months, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to commission a pair this year.

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pair made when I took a bespoke shoemaking course with Janne Melkersson of Melker Shoes and Boots earlier this winter got damaged when the lasts were pulled, due to faulty lasts from the last factory. Gave it a try if they would work anyway but it didn't, so those have been thrown away. A bit sad, but here's the replacement pair. The Saint Crispin Babycalf we used for the first ones were very beautiful, but also very fragile and when burnished didn't get the mid/dark brown colour that was actually intended. So these are made with dark brown Annonay Vegano burnishing calf instead. To me these are even better, so all things good at the end!

Last edited:

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pair made when I took a bespoke shoemaking course with Janne Melkersson of Melker Shoes and Boots earlier this winter got damaged when the lasts were pulled, due to faulty lasts from the last factory. Gave it a try if they would work anyway but it didn't, so those have been thrown away. A bit sad, but here's the replacement pair. The Saint Crispin Babycalf we used for the first ones were very beautiful, but also very fragile and when burnished didn't get the mid/dark brown colour that was actually intended. So these are made with dark brown Annonay Vegano burnishing calf instead. To me these are even better, so all things good at the end!

sorry for the loss of the one you made yourself . . . . that's a good looking second place

emptym

Reaction score
Gorgeous!

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
I'm ready to make the jump to bespoke, and I like someone's (luk-cha's?) suggestion to have a pair made from each of the "big 3" (which I take to be Cleverley, G&G, and Lobb St. James—correct me if I'm wrong) before deciding which to really build a relationship with. I figure I'll start off relatively simple and go for maybe a plain black cap-toe oxford and two pairs of different shades of brown with different levels of adornment. Any suggestions as to which maker might do which shoe "better?" (As in, Lobb might do a traditional oxford well, whereas it seems G&G has some nice detailing for one of the brown pairs)

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm ready to make the jump to bespoke, and I like someone's (luk-cha's?) suggestion to have a pair made from each of the "big 3" (which I take to be Cleverley, G&G, and Lobb St. James—correct me if I'm wrong) before deciding which to really build a relationship with. I figure I'll start off relatively simple and go for maybe a plain black cap-toe oxford and two pairs of different shades of brown with different levels of adornment. Any suggestions as to which maker might do which shoe "better?" (As in, Lobb might do a traditional oxford well, whereas it seems G&G has some nice detailing for one of the brown pairs)

The more important question is which one of them is available to you.

As to experience, I believe Jerrybrown has shoes from all three so he could give you a better account.

AFAIK, he said JLSJ makes the most comfortable shoes but a bit less refined.

I like JLP over G&G but gawd it's expensive.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you like the G & G and Cleverley aesthetic I would choose Foster and Son or JLP over JLSJ.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads