• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-post

I just received my first pair of Foster and Sons bespoke and am very pleased with the results. The fit is pretty good for a first pair, and their approach to fit is quite different than other London makers I've used as you can see below.

Very clean outsole. Probably the cleanest I've seen from the London makers.

I have a wide forefoot, and Fosters dealt with this issue, at my request, differently than Cleverley or Lobb. Fosters is on left and Lobb on right. Instead of a very broad outsole seen on the Lobb shoe, there is increased volume at the forefoot to accommodate the wide forefoot. The result is a pleasant shape that looks less wide than my other bespoke shoes. On the next pair, we'll need to widen the outsole just a tad, but for a first shoe this is really a pretty good fit.

They also dealt with my need for arch support fairly well as you can see.

Finish is quite good for a pair of casual shoes, and I would say that they arrived better polished than from any other London maker. Overall very happy with this first pair.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I just received my first pair of Foster and Sons bespoke and am very pleased with the results.

Looking very good! - Wear them in good health!

Are you giving guided tours through the shoe storage vault(s) of "Villa Browne", wearing white tie (just like Adolphe Menjou)?

LL

I might book myself in to a presentation, one of those days!

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking very good! - Wear them in good health!

Are you giving guided tours through the shoe storage vault(s) of "Villa Browne", wearing white tie (just like Adolphe Menjou)?

I might book myself in to a presentation, one of those days!

Thanks my friend. I'd gladly trade my shoes for your amazing collection!

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-post

I just received my first pair of Foster and Sons bespoke and am very pleased with the results. The fit is pretty good for a first pair, and their approach to fit is quite different than other London makers I've used as you can see below.

I have a wide forefoot, and Fosters dealt with this issue, at my request, differently than Cleverley or Lobb. Fosters is on left and Lobb on right. Instead of a very broad outsole seen on the Lobb shoe, there is increased volume at the forefoot to accommodate the wide forefoot. The result is a pleasant shape that looks less wide than my other bespoke shoes. On the next pair, we'll need to widen the outsole just a tad, but for a first shoe this is really a pretty good fit.

Finish is quite good for a pair of casual shoes, and I would say that they arrived better polished than from any other London maker. Overall very happy with this first pair.

Looks really nice! A well executed bevelled waist is often much more beautiful than a fiddle back waist IMO.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-post

Excellent shoes!!. It seems like your Fosters are much larger than your Lobbs?.

What is the leather pad you are showing under the sockliner?. I have never seen that for arch support.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-post

Very clean and nice!

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do they fit differently? Wider insole less instep height vs narrower insole taller instep height?

The different allocation of space is definitely interesting.

How do they fit differently? Wider insole less instep height vs narrower insole taller instep height?

The different allocation of space is definitely interesting.

The instep is similar to my other shoes, but the forefoot volume (basically height as you say) is greater in the Fosters pair that has the narrower outsole. I've tried to capture this on the below photos. Sorry for the awful iphone photos.

This approach will require a little bit of tweaking b/c my small toe is rubbing a little on the sides of the new shoe, and there is increased creasing at the forefoot as you can see. The increased creasing could be due to the thinner leather used on these shoes.

Lobbs

Fosters

Side by side

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tianzi Shanghai.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from the Japanese shoe thread:
Had the pleasure to meet Mr. Hiro Yanagimachi at Skomaker Dagestad in Oslo, Norway, yesterday, which he visited to have a fitting survey of his new last made for European and American customers. Hiro and the pattern maker and closer Nobuko who was with him were both very kind people, and the shoes were superb. In pics Hiros shoes can look a bit bulky to me, but in reality they are actually quite sleek and looked even nicer.

The new last is longer than his normal japanese lasts, and with a tighter back part of the last. Hiro made an interesting comparison of feet and faces, where he meant that Japanese heads are round and the faces flat, while Europeans and Americans heads are oval and with much shape differences in the face. Feets are the same, Japanese feet are round and quite flat, while European and American feet are longer and with higher archs etc. It's of course a bit of a generalisation, but interesting take nonetheless.
The new last worked very well for me (you can read why in an image caption below), and I'm leaning towards an order of an MTO of the same split toe model in the same color as the sample shoe pictured below but with a bevelled waist.

First four sample shoes, these are made on his regular Japanese lasts. The split toe is 90% handmade with machine made sole stitch, the others are fully handmade:

Square waist:

Bevelled waist:

Fiddle waist:

A couple of close ups of the bevelled waist, which is a "real bevelled waist" with blind welt:

Hand stitched apron and split toe seam:

The closing was very neatly done:

Heels on the models with bevelled or fiddle back waist had tapered heels:

These are sample shoes made on the new last for European and American customers. He used the measurements of Skomaker Dagestad employee Stefan Ravnanger as a base to create the last, and the funny thing is that he and I are more or less feet twins, so the last fits me very well. The arch support were better than any RTW/MTO shoe I've tried before::

Derby version of fitting shoe:

Hiro measuring a client:

Hiro takes A LOT of measurements, maybe 20-25 different ones, and all both with lose and tightened measurement tape. He has during the years come to realise that this is the way that works best for him to achieve as good fit as possible:

For MTO shoes you can use different sock lining pieces to modify fit slightly:

Hiro and the pattern maker and closer Nobuko:

Hiros shoes:

Nobukos shoes:

And a bonus pic of Stefan Ravnangers bespoke pair from Marquess:

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Met up with my mate shooey the shooman the other day.

Superb manipulation of the different tile dimensions around the wholecut shape. Just so sleek and wonderful.

hazwanazani

Reaction score
Cross post from the Japanese shoe thread:
Had the pleasure to meet Mr. Hiro Yanagimachi at Skomaker Dagestad in Oslo, Norway, yesterday, which he visited to have a fitting survey of his new last made for European and American customers. Hiro and the pattern maker and closer Nobuko who was with him were both very kind people, and the shoes were superb. In pics Hiros shoes can look a bit bulky to me, but in reality they are actually quite sleek and looked even nicer.

The new last is longer than his normal japanese lasts, and with a tighter back part of the last. Hiro made an interesting comparison of feet and faces, where he meant that Japanese heads are round and the faces flat, while Europeans and Americans heads are oval and with much shape differences in the face. Feets are the same, Japanese feet are round and quite flat, while European and American feet are longer and with higher archs etc. It's of course a bit of a generalisation, but interesting take nonetheless.
The new last worked very well for me (you can read why in an image caption below), and I'm leaning towards an order of an MTO of the same split toe model in the same color as the sample shoe pictured below but with a bevelled waist.

First four sample shoes, these are made on his regular Japanese lasts. The split toe is 90% handmade with machine made sole stitch, the others are fully handmade:

Square waist:

Bevelled waist:

Fiddle waist:

A couple of close ups of the bevelled waist, which is a "real bevelled waist" with blind welt:

Hand stitched apron and split toe seam:

The closing was very neatly done:

Heels on the models with bevelled or fiddle back waist had tapered heels:

These are sample shoes made on the new last for European and American customers. He used the measurements of Skomaker Dagestad employee Stefan Ravnanger as a base to create the last, and the funny thing is that he and I are more or less feet twins, so the last fits me very well. The arch support were better than any RTW/MTO shoe I've tried before::

Derby version of fitting shoe:

Hiro measuring a client:

Hiro takes A LOT of measurements, maybe 20-25 different ones, and all both with lose and tightened measurement tape. He has during the years come to realise that this is the way that works best for him to achieve as good fit as possible:

For MTO shoes you can use different sock lining pieces to modify fit slightly:

Hiro and the pattern maker and closer Nobuko:

Hiros shoes:

Nobukos shoes:

And a bonus pic of Stefan Ravnangers bespoke pair from Marquess:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.