• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Teacher Thread

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
No, it isn't really all that necessary. The threat is where the money's at. These kids know that they can do basically whatever they want and not get punished for it. If the teacher could pop the kid on the knuckles with a ruler, or smack them upside the head for being disruptive (neither of which constitute CP in my book) then there would be FAR less discipline problems. The threat of being sent for a paddling, or being thrown in a school brig, would frighten some of these F***ers straight.

The idea that we should separate parents and families more from the classroom and that the way to remedy hostile learning environments is with violence is ludicrous. I'm not namby-pamby walk-all-over-me by any stretch of the imagination, or do I know all there is to know about teaching, but rapping kids on the knuckles, throwing them in confinement or smacking them is the perfect way to increase hostility in your classroom and take the attention off of learning experiences. I feel like when a teacher thinks its necessary to take this approach, it's time to find a new job. A teacher vs. student relationship in the classroom shuts down any effective learning- nobody wants to be in an environment like that in either role.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by O'Higgins
Simple enough, give him a bucket and a rag and tell him clean some desks....That way he would know what the teacher or more likely the janitor has to do when some knot-head writes on the desk.

That will get you thrown into the "rubber room" that doesn't exist anymore in NYC. Considered corporal punishment.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that whole thing was probably in the news because it happens all the time and wasn't some freak case? I'd be interested in the backstory and history of this kid and administrator.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBrown85
Yeah, that whole thing was probably in the news because it happens all the time and wasn't some freak case? I'd be interested in the backstory and history of this kid and administrator.

I can tell you from experience within NYC public schools (well, at least MY school) that the NYPD rarely get involved. Just to get a kid suspended there has to be proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Sometimes, depending on the severity of the issue, a teacher's word isn't enough, you need multiple student statements to get your ducks in a row. One time, a student completely MADE UP an accusation about a teacher (the the teacher threw a book at the student) and set in motion a series of events that led an investigator to come and investigate the teacher. This despite the fact that it was the STUDENT who threw the book at the TEACHER. Nothing happened to the student even after the the interviewer determined that he didn't even need to talk to the teacher (based on the students' statements he knew the teacher was ok). Then, the next week, the teacher got upset and yelled about something in a class, and the kids all yelled back not to be" pissed because XxXxXxXx was trying to get her fired."

The kid in the video must have a history of drawing on desks or graffiti.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
No, it isn't really all that necessary. The threat is where the money's at. These kids know that they can do basically whatever they want and not get punished for it. If the teacher could pop the kid on the knuckles with a ruler, or smack them upside the head for being disruptive (neither of which constitute CP in my book) then there would be FAR less discipline problems. The threat of being sent for a paddling, or being thrown in a school brig, would frighten some of these F***ers straight.

Just telling someone to go to the office distracts the kids for at least 10 minutes. I usually can't get them back on task. I don't know what would happen if a kid got smacked with a ruler.

O'Higgins

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
That will get you thrown into the "rubber room" that doesn't exist anymore in NYC. Considered corporal punishment.

You are kidding......I couldn't teaching in NYC Schools.....Had a kid cleaning the floor with a broom after he tracked in mud. He apologized afterwards for being messy....I guess it's a southern thing.
eh.gif

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here taught an AVID class? The AVID teacher here tried to kill herself (She shot herself in the head, but didn't die). So I might fill in for her, while she gets herself together.

I am not quite sure what they do these days. From what I have been told they spend most of their time in tutorials and writing letters to universities. A lot of group work too.

Edit- What I mainly want to know is if the students are going to be, for lack of a better word, good.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The gf is applying to grad schools for a masters of arts in teaching. How important is a school's ranking in terms of later job placement?

I know in law, rankings mean an incredible amount. I'm sure teaching isn't as extreme, but does the school's ranking have an impact? She's going for a California credential.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I don't think it matters much for MATeaching. It's about having good experience, published papers, guest lectures, organized workshops, etc.

God, I would never, ever want to teach at a level below university in the USA. I would rather go back to being a personal trainer.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Has anyone here taught an AVID class? The AVID teacher here tried to kill herself (She shot herself in the head, but didn't die). So I might fill in for her, while she gets herself together.

I am not quite sure what they do these days. From what I have been told they spend most of their time in tutorials and writing letters to universities. A lot of group work too.

Edit- What I mainly want to know is if the students are going to be, for lack of a better word, good.

Wife is an AVID teacher, and the school she works at is really big into this program. If you ask questions here or in PM I can (hopefully) get her to answer them.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I don't think it matters much for MATeaching. It's about having good experience, published papers, guest lectures, organized workshops, etc.

God, I would never, ever want to teach at a level below university in the USA. I would rather go back to being a personal trainer.

Thanks for the response. She's looking towards teaching HS science. I'd probably kill myself.
So it's probably not worth waiting out a year to go a rank 20 school versus rank 120? (These are national ranks.) Both are in state. Another option would be to go to the best school she can in another state and take whatever exams she may need for the credential to carry over to California.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Just telling someone to go to the office distracts the kids for at least 10 minutes. I usually can't get them back on task. I don't know what would happen if a kid got smacked with a ruler.
Yeah, the current methods of advanced discipline are more of a disruptive force on the overall classroom setting, at least with the kids that I'm used to seeing. If you smacked a kid with a ruler it would either shut everybody up real quick or start a classroom riot.

O'Higgins

Reaction score
OKAY, here was my last official day at school……Graduation is tomorrow evening.

Waited until my last school day to be one of my worst. Had to pull 3 from graduation for tearing up the school this past weekend… $2500 worth of damage. Were caught on camera, and wound up confessing.
According to state law we had three choices. ( The school ‘s choices.)
1. AEP ( In school suspension)
2. Expulsion ( Would not graduate and would complete another year in school.)
3. Felony charges- Probably 2-6 months in a state jail if convicted.
We chose the in school suspension, which means they would pay for the damages and not get to walk. They will receive their diplomas at a later date.
-Started at 7:25am this morning in Supt of School's Office telling her what the high school faculty suggested.
-Spent the next few hours discussing other options with the principal.
-The afternoon was spent telling the boys, they do not get to walk. ( Tough to do.)
-An hour later, was yelled at by an outraged dad. I yelled back.
-A mother of another boy came and cried and yelled. I yelled back.
-Both parents were upset grandma would not see the kids graduate.
-All said and done, nothing changed. The boys are not walking.
-Just think, I could have taken the day off.
- I literally am sick physically. I am afraid to check my B/P.
-Trust me, I have earned my retirement

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads