• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Teacher Thread

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know there are a handful of us on here, figured one of these should be in this new sub-fora just incase any members here aspire to teach, or get involved in non-higher education. I know it may not be many, considering this is a fora that focuses on things that are way outside the budget of most school teachers, but I know I've received several pms about the job.

Anyway, I'm 10 years in teaching 8th grade History (US 1865-today) in a pretty nice school in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.

As well as giving advise to would be teachers I think current teachers can post questions/comments/concerns they are having as well.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good idea for a thread NYR. It will be interesting to see some of the conversations here even though I am not a teacher.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Teacher. One of my favorite posters.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
mmm, highland cream...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I like Teacher. One of my favorite posters.

same here.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
ugh.

puzzled.gif
how can anyone not like Teacher?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah ... what kind of sick person are you matt?
mad.gif

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My first year on the job - provisional teaching license after doing the alternative certification programme in Texas. I do economics, US government and history at a public high school with an 'international' focus. I also run the first aid, Amnesty International and UN clubs as well as assist with sports.

So far, I really enjoy it!
biggrin.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
yeah ... what kind of sick person are you matt?
mad.gif

Somebody's got a case of the Mondays!!!
uhoh.gif

Originally Posted by JustinW
My first year on the job - provisional teaching license after doing the alternative certification programme in Texas. I do economics, US government and history at a public high school with an 'international' focus. I also run the first aid, Amnesty International and UN clubs as well as assist with sports.

So far, I really enjoy it!
biggrin.gif

This does not surprise me, and I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Teaching, as a profession, is wholly dependent upon 3 factors:

1) What age children you're teaching

2) What subject you're teaching

3) Where you're teaching

I've found that enjoyment of the profession can be determined, with a near 100% accuracy, by the answers to the above 3 questions in relation to how the people saw themselves doing the job or wanted to do the job.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today in my classroom:

Some action shots. Had the kids bring in food from their own cultural background this entire week seeing we're studying immigration now. Listened to Brad Paisley's American Saturday Night and talked about how diversity is such a great thing and that our differences should be celebrated, not knocked. I always gain a few pounds the week I do this...lol. While we eat we're analyzing some documents (a passport application...shhhh) from 1919, to see if we can figure out what it is.

IMG_3734.jpg

IMG_3760.jpg

IMG_3737.jpg

German Dessert:
IMG_3788.jpg

Colombian Dessert:
IMG_3786.jpg

Colombian Meat and Egg:
IMG_3785.jpg

Homemade Greek Yogurt:
IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

Lebanese Spinach and Meat Pies:
IMG_3790.jpg

IMG_3792.jpg

Lasagna:
IMG_3797.jpg

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish my professors wore three piece suits; I think I'd take them more seriously.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads