• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

ChandlerBing12

Reaction score
I really like this shirt. I see what you mean about the extra width toward the bottom, but I actually don't mind it. I can't know without experiencing this shirt myself, but it seems risky shortening it if you'd still want to be able to tuck it in without things coming untucked. I actually think the tails don't come down too far while wearing untucked, so perhaps shortening is an unnecessary risk. I agree that the sleeves could be elongated a bit, though I think this looks pretty decent before washing.

The collar is great. What did you specify to Luxire for this? What pants are you wearing in the photos? Those seem like a great fit.
Thanks for the reply. The collar is the standard button down collar from Luxire which I think look great without any changes made it it. As far as the pants go, they are a pair of banana republic suit pants that I was wearing at the office earlier that day and I just decided to throw on the shirt to take pictures.

Right now my thoughts are that I am going to increase the sleeve measurement by either .25 or a half inch. Waist seems perfect but I think the body will be more proportional if I take in the bottom measurement by half an inch. Probably going to leave the length of the shirt alone, but this could change as I have emailed Luxire to get their thoughts as well.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
When my tailor shortened the sleeves 1,5 cm from the shoulders on my jacket, it seems he made the right shoulder roped when he sew it back together. Is there some technical reason for this, or did he just screw up? The jacket had a natural shoulder when I bought it.

Right (roped):

Left (correct):

Last edited:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I posted this in the Luxire thread, but wanted some more feedback. In these photos I am wearing a Brooks Brothers shirt that I had my tailor modify for me. What should be improved on the fit of this shirt when I send to Luxire for copying? What tweaks do you recommend? I'd like to shorten the yoke measurement. I actually think the armhole is a bit wide from front to back (if you look at the profile photo), though I am satisfied with the armhole height. How would I change this without making the chest measurement smaller? Do the sleeves seem a touch long? Thanks.
you could shorten the yoke an 1" sleeve length is fine. has the shirt been laundered? hips are too tight. look at the pulling at the buttons above your waist. line fullness across the top of the sleeve is normal

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply. The collar is the standard button down collar from Luxire which I think look great without any changes made it it. As far as the pants go, they are a pair of banana republic suit pants that I was wearing at the office earlier that day and I just decided to throw on the shirt to take pictures.

Right now my thoughts are that I am going to increase the sleeve measurement by either .25 or a half inch. Waist seems perfect but I think the body will be more proportional if I take in the bottom measurement by half an inch. Probably going to leave the length of the shirt alone, but this could change as I have emailed Luxire to get their thoughts as well.

you are micro managing
do at least 1/2" in the sleeves
i would take in the hips 1" and let out the waist 1"

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just got my SS tux in the mail. Please let me know your thoughts on the fit, whether I should take it to the tailor or return it. I am a size 46, thanks!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^

WTF is going on in the back? Return. ASAP.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

facet

Reaction score
That's your natural stance? You look like you're trying to touch your elbows together in that last pic, it looks very exaggerated.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

When my tailor shortened the sleeves 1,5 cm from the shoulders on my jacket, it seems he made the right shoulder roped when he sew it back together. Is there some technical reason for this, or [COLOR=FF00AA]did he just screw up?[/COLOR] The jacket had a natural shoulder when I bought it. Right (roped): Left (correct):
Yes.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

KingD

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Although I have allready posted in the Luxire thread, I thought asking advice on fit would be more appropriate here.

I am satisfied with the general fit compared to store bought shirts, however I still think there are some good adjustments too be made. Below I posted some pictures, and I hope you can offer me some suggestions in what to alter. This would help me out a lot!

For your information I have already washed the shirt once, and my current measurements are:
Chest 24.5
Waist 21.5
Bottem 23.5
Yoke 20.5
Sleeve Width 10
Rounded Arm Hole 11.75
Cuff 8.75
Length 33.5
Neck 16.5
Sleeve 39.25

The measurements I want to change myself are -1.5'' off the back waist and back chest. I dont know if you would agree on that and suggest any other alterations?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Smitty5400

Reaction score
I would like to get some opinions please on the fit of my first Proper Cloth shirt. This is the second time that they sent me the shirt after having made alterations on the initial one. It has been washed once at the cleaners. Thanks!

Ttailor

Reaction score
It looks to me that the front balance is short, you have a prominent chest and would need more shaping than standard. An under lapel dart is one of the usual ways of shaping the jacket for your body type.
The vents should not pull open as they do, nor should the front create an x when buttoned.

This is a reply to Hooligans post previous page.

Last edited:

Seamless

Reaction score
Got a new suit. Review on the fit? I have the sleeves shorten and the pants hemmed with a single break. I think I need some waist suppression now.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posted this in another thread also, but maybe it'll get more exposure here:

I recently had the collar lowered on a jacket - I usually never do this and I don't know why I asked this time, but it's evident from explanations on SF that my tailor only made alterations at the collar, and not the shoulders because the wonderfully sloped and perfectly fitting shoulders are now flattened and lumpy. What can be done to correct this? I'd be happy returning to a slight roll if I could have the shoulders fixed. Can the collar be raised again to its initial position to resolve the shoulder problem? Can something else be done instead? Could the tailor finish the job by shortening the back from the top (as detailed here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/306029/that-pesky-roll-below-the-collar) to restore the shoulder slope?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads