• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all, turning to the experts here. Want to have a burgundy DJ made but am looking for:
1) material suggestions (as specific as anyone has an idea)
2) styling thoughts
3) any example pics if anyone has one they think is superlative.

Thanks!

Here are my two formal jackets in burgundy - a DB velvet smoking jacket, and a SB silk jacquard in deep red and black, with velvet collar, if these are any example of what you might (or might not) want. The DB is from Ede & Ravenscroft; the red/black is from New & Lingwood, and both were bought OTR.

IMG_0669.JPG
IMG_6553.JPG

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all, turning to the experts here. Want to have a burgundy DJ made but am looking for:
2) styling thoughts

Thanks!
Red shantung raw slubby silk or mohair?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attending an early May wedding in South Florida with "black tie optional" on the invite. Ceremony and reception within sight of the beach. 6pm.

Can I safety wear my cream dinner jacket?
Absolutely.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2) styling thoughts

Thanks!
Sounds like a smoking jacket to me! I think burgundy velvet is probably the way I'm going. I can't decide between black or same lapels, leaning black.
A burgundy jacket will be awesome. I'd recommend something similar to @upr_crust's burgundy jacket. I would strongly recommend self-faced lapels, certainly if you go with a shawl collar but even if you decide on peaked lapels.

Holland & Sherry would be the default choice for a good cotton velvet. Caccioppoli makes a stunning burgundy velvet in wool, which is something to consider, but which I imagine would be rather warm.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holland & Sherry would be the default choice for a good cotton velvet. Caccioppoli makes a stunning burgundy velvet in wool, which is something to consider, but which I imagine would be rather warm.

Thanks much. By chance do you know which book the H+S velvets are in?

I like Caccioppoli and have contacted them before, will ask after this fabric - sounds very nice!

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fun new edition. Curious if the good folks here have any preferences for footwear that would go well with it. In brief browsing, I really dig the "plain" Baudoin & Lange Sagans, either in the black velvet or black suede.
Note: I loathe patent leather in anything that isn’t an opera pump. Even then, I don’t love them, but they’re far more tolerable.
View attachment 1772351
I really like Belgian Shoes opera pumps in patent leather. Baudoin & Lange make a velvet slipper that's quite nice, but I prefer them in patent unless I'm also wearing a velvet dinner jacket. Here are both options:

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2) styling thoughts

Thanks!
I'm with Andy -- if you're going with velvet I'd recommend self-faced lapels, for at least two reasons: it stands out less and as it's less formal it can be worn casually with black jeans and loafers for that "morning after the soiree" look.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red shantung raw slubby silk or mohair?
I'm with Andy -- if you're going with velvet I'd recommend self-faced lapels, for at least two reasons: it stands out less and as it's less formal it can be worn casually with black jeans and loafers for that "morning after the soiree" look.

Really not sure what I'd make it of if not velvet. I did mildly flirt w/ burgundy mohair for a second, but I think it would be too avant. I don't think I'd ever wear such a jacket.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
I recently started doing Oly lifting. I haven't decided yet if I really want to compete since the new weight classes are nuts with the 73kg to 89 kg gap.

I'm at 78kg right now and cutting down to 73 would be pretty difficult for me but 89 is just way too big for me.

i am in exactly the same problem. The new weight categories are nuts. I hover between 76kg and 78kg depending on diet. Cutting to 73 will not be fun but probably my best option

Just saw the new weight classes today. I'm actually walking around at 101kg or so these days because of some bad eating decisions, which apparently makes me a glass of water away from SHW?? With my frame, 89kg is probably my best bet for healthy long-term training, since there's no longer the old middle-heavyweight 94kg tier I used to be in. It's kind of absurd that I'm currently about 50lbs heavier than you guys and we're both considering the same weight class because of the way the Central Asian mobsters that run the IWF have set this up. Realistically though, probably none of us will ever be going to to a national/international meet except maybe as masters athletes, so weight classes don't really matter. Just train for the meet, show up in reasonable shape so that you don't look ridiculous in the spandex, go 6/6 with a PR, and have fun.

Off topic is best topic.

My gym has a sled, but I never bothered using it. I also hate cardio, but this could be a way for me to improve it.

Like a Prowler? That thing is super fun, and a real slog if you push it from the low handles. It's great training for people whose sport is very interval-heavy, as it allows you for example to have ten seconds on and maybe 50 seconds off, like in football, or you can grind at it from the low handles for 2 minutes on, 30 seconds off like in wrestling. You can also superset it with the battling ropes, to tax both halves of your body. The tempo doesn't allow you to directly address aerobic conditioning though, which is less sexy but probably more applicable to daily life. For that and in my quest to get down to 89kg, I've been using the Airdyne. Great cardio training that also doesn't really hinder recovery in your legs and back so that you're ready to lift the next day.

But because this is the black tie thread, my old tailor was also my health consultant in that he noticed I brought back the same pair of distinctive worsted flannel tux pants repeatedly to have the waist let out until eventually he couldn't go any further. Finally one day he was like, "Maybe next time just don't eat so much, and I tuck all back in. I not charge you so much to tuck in."

Really not sure what I'd make it of if not velvet. I did mildly flirt w/ burgundy mohair for a second, but I think it would be too avant. I don't think I'd ever wear such a jacket.

I was flipping through the Loro Piana "Events" book and before the velvets was a burgundy jacquard that I found pretty arousing. Would make a great shawl lapel DB, with big obnoxious satin lapels maybe. I'm not handsome enough for it but you can definitely pull it off. The only downside I guess is that your wife will be pretty tired from beating back all the ladies, and occasional fella, trying to tear it off your torso.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads