• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fun new edition. Curious if the good folks here have any preferences for footwear that would go well with it. In brief browsing, I really dig the "plain" Baudoin & Lange Sagans, either in the black velvet or black suede.
Note: I loathe patent leather in anything that isn’t an opera pump. Even then, I don’t love them, but they’re far more tolerable.
49C269D2-9323-443E-BD78-C86F5C015A6B.jpeg

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fun new edition. Curious if the good folks here have any preferences for footwear that would go well with it. In brief browsing, I really dig the "plain" Baudoin & Lange Sagans, either in the black velvet or black suede.
Note: I loathe patent leather in anything that isn’t an opera pump. Even then, I don’t love them, but they’re far more tolerable.
You know what I'm going to say, then. Black patent oxfords. Suck it up. But, the Sagans will get you a long ways down the road.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1772351
Those satin or shantung facings? Bespoke or otr?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know what I'm going to say, then. Black patent oxfords. Suck it up. But, the Sagans will get you a long ways down the road.
I have an (admittedly illogical and irrational) aversion to patent leather. Something about it seems cheap to me. Though, I'm in the minority here, I know.
Those satin or shantung facings? Bespoke or otr?
Satin (fresh out the box lol) and OTR. I'm liable to dip my toes into the bespoke (or bespoke adjacent) waters sooner than later, but a bespoke tux is farrrrrr down the list...unless I mistakenly knock a gal up and have to have a shotgun wedding.
Holy macaroons. Those shoulders are not to be trifled with!

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
Below is a photo of me in my first tuxedo purchased quite a few years back. Since then, I have learned more about classic fit and decided that my jackets should be about an 1 3/4"-2" longer, have longer sleeves and should be a little less "slim fit" if you know what I mean. I was going to order a new jacket but the fabric is no longer available from this tailor.

So do you think I can make this one work by getting the rest of the fit a little better or is it just too short? I have since purchased a second tuxedo with a longer jacket and more elegant fit overall but I would like to salvage this one if possible as a backup.

1EF0A7F3-D8CB-4F7F-B1E0-FB286B5C3A6C.jpeg

Last edited:

MontyLo

Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on an appropriate but unique bow tie fabric for a warmer weather black tie ensemble?

I’m doing midnight blue evening trousers, fly front white spread collar shirt and ivory single button peak lapel dinner jacket.

I was initially thinking a midnight blue slim pointed batwing in satin, but I’m curious as to thoughts on something like shantung given the season.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on an appropriate but unique bow tie fabric for a warmer weather black tie ensemble?

I’m doing midnight blue evening trousers, fly front white spread collar shirt and ivory single button peak lapel dinner jacket.

I was initially thinking a midnight blue slim pointed batwing in satin, but I’m curious as to thoughts on something like shantung given the season.
I personally like shantung...matches with both satin and shantung facings but I am partial to a wider batwing diamond point.

MontyLo

Reaction score
You make an excellent point. I mean more of a standard batwing, but I’m used to wider butterfly bows so it’s all relative.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen:

I have a question for everyone. I am attending one of my friend's wedding, which is black tie optional. Would it be appropriate to wear a DB Navy Shawl 4x1 tuxedo? I tend to think yes, but I do not want to upstage the groom. What are your thoughts?

My other tuxedo option is a 4x2 DB Black Peak Lapel tuxedo, which I need to lose a few more pounds to fit into.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Gentlemen:

I have a question for everyone. I am attending one of my friend's wedding, which is black tie optional. Would it be appropriate to wear a DB Navy Shawl 4x1 tuxedo? I tend to think yes, but I do not want to upstage the groom. What are your thoughts?

My other tuxedo option is a 4x2 DB Black Peak Lapel tuxedo, which I need to lose a few more pounds to fit into.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Yes, can't see why not

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score

Shantung would be great

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member