• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow! Looks like upholstery for ugly sofas.

What about this guy :)

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get ready for your head to explode

http://www.dashingtweeds.co.uk/shop/cloth.html

Don't think there's a single tweed I'd buy from them

Maybe this one

http://www.dashingtweeds.co.uk/shop/cloth/dashing-donegal-2.html

You won't be surprised to know that I have several things made from Dashing Tweeds fabric. The owner, Guy Hills, is a genuine British eccentric and also a really nice guy.

This is a three-piece in the no-longer available Fleet tweed made up by Walker Slater (I have lost so much weight since I took this picture...) - it's the same fabric as in my avatar:

And I also have this summer jacket in Regent's Park Check, by Cad & The Dandy:

I am aware that some people won't wear this kind of thing, and some people seem to lose their **** at any hint of anything colourful. I couldn't care in the slightest. I'll wear the soberest things when that's necessary and fitting to the context, but I don't see why I have to be bound by the codes of someone else's convention in other contexts entirely. And while there are certainly Dashing Tweeds fabrics that I don't like at all, I think some are simply beautiful.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If i had enough cash I would branch out into the edgier colourways - I think it only strays into Don Cherry territory with awful cuts and too large patterns.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pair of donegal slacks in brown and blue with some serious color threaded through...but nothing like those things posted previously...

OlSarge

Reaction score
I'm fully in favor of color but Dashing Tweeds takes it a step beyond my comfort zone. However, for those who can wear such patterns comfortably, carry on!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

DavideMiguel85

Reaction score

And you will find recommendations for just about any of the major bespoke makers and MTM operations from someone here. What we need to know is:

1. What kind of jacket you are looking for (style, etc. - there are some tailors who specialize very much in particular areas);
2. What level of 'bespoke' are you talking about (e.g. online vs. in person; MTM vs. 'true' bespoke; fused vs. half-canvas vs. full canvas etc.);
3. Where you can travel to / what area you are looking at in Britain; and last but certainly not least,
4. What price you are prepared to pay.

Those kind of more specific details would help in being able to recommend something.

For example, if you just want a made-to-measure country tweed jacket then Mears would do, there's also Walker Slater in Edinburgh (and London) http://www.walkerslater.com/  I've also heard people recommend David Saxby http://davidsaxby.co.uk/ .

If you want something more sophisticated, you might want to consider a mid-range London tailor like Graham Browne http://www.grahambrowne.co.uk/ or Cad and The Dandy http://www.cadandthedandy.co.uk/

A further step up is Steed, http://www.steed.co.uk/en/ and then there's places like Norton or Huntsman, if money is no object.

And so on...

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions, really appreciated! I am definitely going for sophisticated/more modern over "full country".

How do you feel about elbow patches?

Some say nay, that you should just add them later when needed (when worn). I quite like the look though. Is it leading too far towards a trend though, or is it a safe addition?

rodaman

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions, really appreciated! I am definitely going for sophisticated/more modern over "full country".

How do you feel about elbow patches?

Some say nay, that you should just add them later when needed (when worn). I quite like the look though. Is it leading too far towards a trend though, or is it a safe addition?
love elbow patches

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wish they made some more conservative stuff. It's probably nice quality

I'm fully in favor of color but Dashing Tweeds takes it a step beyond my comfort zone.  However, for those who can wear such patterns comfortably, carry on!
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish they made some more conservative stuff. It's probably nice quality

The cutters at my tailor really like it. However, they did say that it wasn't quite so good in the early days. I don't think they will ever do 'conservative' - that's not their niche at all.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Encountering something seasonal and wearing a Brooks Brothers Brookstweed jacket.........

DavideMiguel85

Reaction score
Inspired by the general approval of elbow patches "if you like them", I've been thinking I might ask someone to out some on a jacket I have. I'm unsure what colour patch for this fabric though, any thoughts??

By absolute coincidence it actually seems remarkably similar to Roy's above, at least in terms of the fabric.

rodaman

Reaction score
Inspired by the general approval of elbow patches "if you like them", I've been thinking I might ask someone to out some on a jacket I have. I'm unsure what colour patch for this fabric though, any thoughts??

By absolute coincidence it actually seems remarkably similar to Roy's above, at least in terms of the fabric.

dark brown

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads