• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

seer

Reaction score
Any thoughts on a reasonably price tweed sport coat? I'm looking at the Tweed Addict, Mears and Murphy of Ireland. Does anyone have experience with any of these? Thanks in advance.

MrSmith

Reaction score
i've used Tweed Addict and Mears, i'd go the latter of the two for just a sports jacket, although do you need a MTM? something off the peg would be fairly easy to find then alter

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience with Mears was full of ill-fit: I had to get multiple and expensive local alterations made.
I would suggest that unless your tailor and Mears are on the same letter, never mind the same page, just get an OTR and have it locally altered.

b4awl

Reaction score
My advice and who's had lots of luck buying some fantastic jackets is Salvation Army and Goodwill. Harris Tweed, Donegal Tweed it all shows up and for a pittance. Naturally, it has to be in your size and if larger you can always have it taken in and you will still be saving $$.'

Good luck, do good work and stay in touch,
b4awl

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At a going away party for a former co-worker, Brooks Brothers tweed jacket and blue OCBD, Ralph Lauren tie......

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it warm?
No, it wasn't warm. I walked up from my house. It's about a 40 minute walk and it was cool and windy going, and four hours later, it was cold, damp, windy, and dark walking home.

Tourists keep coming to Southern California, somehow imagining that it is warm and sunny in June. It isn't. It's usually cool, damp, and often foggy, particularly near the sea. Hordes of them pour out of tour busses near the seaside wearing short pants and often disappear into the fog, unable to see the sea or anything else.

The warm and sunny part of Southern California is on the other side of the mountains, in the desert.

Thanks to all for your kind comments. Highlight (or lowlight) of the evening was when some fangirl (not with our group) who might have had too much to drink thought that I was Doctor Who.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure where you live in SoCal, but in Los Angeles it's been around 70-80 for the past 3 months, with highs into the low 90s and occasional wildfires inland

Last edited:

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It usually only overcast in June right by the ocean. Move a mile or so inland and you've got your stereotypical California sunshine.

LawMon

Reaction score
Longtime lurker of this thread. Y'all have inspired my newfound love of tweed.

Of interest to tweed-lovers: In the B/S forum, I have listed some awesome tweeds that I bought for myself but that, alas, do not fit me. I'm having to sell them, and I think some of y'all would appreciate them. One is a brilliant 40R Henry Poole Savile Row bespoke tweed--it's a truly beautiful jacket. (Other jackets by Ptychley and Crombie.) I have tried to embed a pic of the Poole, though I'm not sure if it worked.

Also of interest: After reading about them on this forum, I decided to give Bespoke Mears a shot. I ordered a hacking jacket in lightweight Fox Brothers glen plaid (POW). Turned out nicely--I would recommend trying them. Not an absolute perfect fit, but darn good, especially for the low price point.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I've inveighed against doing a tweed jacket with tweed trousers, but how about a tweed overcoat with a tweed jacket?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics