• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OlSarge

Reaction score
I can't imagine how a pair of tweed trousers would look bad with a corduroy jacket. I really like corduroy as the most casual of sports jacket material. It's about the only one I'd wear with jeans, for example, but I happily wear mine with moleskin so whytheheck not with tweed?

Gbg brouge

Reaction score
I can't imagine how a pair of tweed trousers would look bad with a corduroy jacket. I really like corduroy as the most casual of sports jacket material. It's about the only one I'd wear with jeans, for example, but I happily wear mine with moleskin so whytheheck not with tweed?
Well said!
fing02[1].gif

NeedForTweed123

Reaction score
Just to throw another log on the fire, I think that a pair of tweed trousers could make an interesting combination with either a chunkier sweater or an odd jacket of any kind. I'm thinking plain tweed in navy or brown/orange. In my opinion a good alternative to heavier flannels.

To get the idea, look at these

http://www.howardyount.com/products/english-tweed-pants-blue

http://www.howardyount.com/products/english-tweed-pants-orange-brown
Great examples. I was thinking the same thing, I don't see why tweed pants should be avoided when they can provide functional purposes while matching the ruggedness of other articles of clothing. I also agree that they provide an interesting alternative to flannels. As much as I like corduroy and moleskin, sometimes I want wool trousers but don't necessarily want flannel. I feel like tweed fits that bill perfectly.

Last edited:

Gbg brouge

Reaction score
Great examples. I was thinking the same thing, I don't see why tweed pants should be avoided when they can provide functional purposes while matching the ruggedness of other articles of clothing. I also agree that they provide an interesting alternative to flannels. As much as I like corduroy and moleskin, sometimes I want wool trousers but don't necessarily want flannel. I feel like tweed fits that bill perfectly.

You got it. Of course there are worsted wools but the tweed provides not only texture but also a colour/tone that is just different, though in a pleasant way
smile.gif

NeedForTweed123

Reaction score
You got it. Of course there are worsted wools but the tweed provides not only texture but also a colour/tone that is just different, though in a pleasant way
smile.gif
Exactly. I avoid worsteds outside of suits because I don't think they look right compared to textured cloths in a more casual setting. Tweed provides all that you have said, but it also can stand up to a lot more that flannels, which is part of the reason why they seem like a good idea to me. They are a combination of elegance and function and provide a unique look and I think if you have something else in the middle that can stand up to the tweed, even a tweed jacket & pants can look good. I was surprised most people never even give them a thought.

MrSmith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NeedForTweed123

So I'm not crazy? I thought they would be nice with a barbour jacket or with a tweed jacket and a sweater. I get not wanting to overload on tweed, but I figured 2 tweed pieces in an outfit with something else to break them up looks good.

I have a combo of woodland green harris tweed combat trousers, an ecru heavyweight submariners wool rollneck jumper and brown wax cotton smock, looks a bit 1940s and I love wearing the combo. Although sadly it needs to be properly cold to pull it off.

Last edited:

NeedForTweed123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NeedForTweed123

So I'm not crazy? I thought they would be nice with a barbour jacket or with a tweed jacket and a sweater. I get not wanting to overload on tweed, but I figured 2 tweed pieces in an outfit with something else to break them up looks good.

I have a combo of woodland green harris tweed combat trousers, an ecru heavyweight submariners wool rollneck jumper and brown wax cotton smock, looks a bit 1940s and I love wearing the combo. Although sadly it needs to be properly cold to pull it off.
Sounds good. I agree that it can look great with sweaters or waxed cotton. I own a Barbour Commander and think tweed pants would go great with that and a submariner sweater. I actually think tweed pants go with anything fall and winter outside of business really.

Tweedy

Reaction score
Nice look, love the jacket fabric :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads