• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukedishin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just lurking recently but this e-thrift came in. 2 x Paul & Shark grenadine garza grossa. Anyone know who makes these?

Will trade for garza fina.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do you like Patagonia or something?

LOLZ. Have you read the thread? ;)

Here's the scene inside...

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cue "is this a thing" Pyrex posts for the next forever
smile.gif

(I do like vintage Pyrex like everybody else—picked up half a dozen bowls and dishes last week. Buy what you like. Live your dreams. The world is yours.)

Last edited:

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today's topic is: You never know what you're going to find at the very back of a storage shed buried under a giant pile of old clapboard siding and salvaged windows.....

101601-halloween_zombie_risin.gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shout outs to my boy, @Takai for an awesome trade!

Poster Overall Herringbone chore coat. These are the same model as the denim one I picked up in Japan. Feels like chords = heavenly. But the sleeves are too short...Prolly gonna sent them to @Snoogz

Women's PS pinstripe pants. Made in Italy for sister in-law. She's gonna freak out when she see these!!! Thanks again, homeboy!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FlorianQC

Mind telling me a little more about that first piece, Takeo Kikuchi? This takeo bag was one of my first ever thrifts a year + ago, and could never find info on it (or translate what that information meant)

I got this piece a while back so I don't remember the deetz but I think it's nothing great at all, just decent and pretty fancy since it's from Japan. All I found pointed to the house brand of some department store, quite mass produced.

@Thrift Vader or @barrelntrigger could maybe enlighten us ^^

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A mint condition 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO?

Indian, or wartime Harley

Hah! I wish! Not that good. Probably nothing most of you guys would care about either, but super cool finds for my friend and I.

Temp was 2 above with wind chills around -20. Two pair of jeans, a heavy down coat, Mad Bomber hat and some good gloves took care of that problem. Didn't even notice the cold. It was apparently cold enough to kill my phone from a full charge in about an hour, despite being in an insulated coat pocket.

We figured we would save going back into the basement and attic for another day, so today we tackled the last outbuilding; an approx 10 x 10 shed. Untouched since the late 60's. When you opened the door, you could not walk in. Seemed like stuff just got thrown in on top of other stuff from the doorway over the years. The pile of wood siding, old framed windows and random hoses/cables was almost to the ceiling. We got the junk out of there pretty quick. The farther back you dug, the cooler and older the stuff got.

Photo's below.

Here's what the inside of the shed looked like about 3/4 of the way through digging.

Our growing "keep pile"

Some cool stuff.

What came home in my car:

and this, which was buried under about 4' of junk against the back wall of the shed. This is my favorite find of the day. An Edison cylinder phonograph. Haven't opened the lid yet. Still cleaning all the dirt and grime off but I must say it's in remarkable condition for having spent as long as it did in a shed and having junk piled on top of it.

Compete with box of cylinders. Sadly no sign of the horn.

All in all we ended up getting:

- 12 five lug steel wheels from the late 30's-late 40's in really nice shape (some were even riveted!),
- 4 Model T wheels,
- a bunch of tires from the late 30's to the late 40's, some mounted on metal wheels with hubcaps.
- Couple Model A wire spoke wheels
- 2 Model A headlamps
- Old mechanical Klaxon horn, likely from a Model T (it worked too! I pushed the plunger down and the sound ran chills through my spine. Never heard that sound in person before)
- Edison cylinder home phonograph w/ crank and box of cylinders
- WWII era 50 cal round crate
- box of old bottles. 20's-40's.

and a ton more stuff I can't remember. Going back on Friday.... :)

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FlorianQC

Mind telling me a little more about that first piece, Takeo Kikuchi? This takeo bag was one of my first ever thrifts a year + ago, and could never find info on it (or translate what that information meant)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeo_Kikuchi

I'm not really into his stuff. But Thrift Vader likes his stuff. We've seen tons of his stuff at thrift stores in Japan.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nataku, you're officially a picker, now. (love that show by the way)

illeagle

Reaction score
Recent e-thrift for $90 with a few issues (moth nibbles, a couple lining tears, lapel stitching needs repair)...

Does anyone know how much the following typically costs to get fixed? I would assume not too bad since it's along a seam:

A couple decisions to make on my part:

1) Russell Firestone, Jr. seems to have had extremely similar measurements to me... so, to flip or not to flip...
2) If I do flip, should I fix the issues or sell as is...

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Recent e-thrift for $90 with a few issues (moth nibbles, a couple lining tears, lapel stitching needs repair)...

Does anyone know how much the following typically costs to get fixed? I would assume not too bad since it's along a seam:

1) Russell Firestone, Jr. seems to have had extremely similar measurements to me... so, to flip or not to flip...

fix and flip. all day.

rayxlui

Reaction score

HNNNNNNG. How'd you get it for 90 jesus.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that fits you well enough, I would keep it or wear for awhile. After you get it fixed, you will obviously keep great care of it, so flipping in the future will still grant you major cash!

I assume that it's 100% Vicuña??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads